What is Project One Million: Texas?

Information on the Project will be posted here, along with updated progress reports.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

What is Project One Million: Texas?

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:29 pm

PROJECT ONE MILLION: TEXAS

President-Elect Obama is assembling his administration “team” and the many of the people he has selected have an anti-gun track record. Rabid anti-gunner Nancy Pelosi will be re-elected as Speaker of the House and Senators Charles “Chuck” Schumer, Diane Feinsten and Barbara Boxer are itching to file several anti-gun bills like the “assault weapons” ban, gun show “loophole,” ballistic fingerprinting, ammunition microstamping, child-proof firearms, and more when the new Congress convenes in 2009.

Although the 2008 federal elections were not the blood-bath for Second Amendment supporters claimed by the New York Times or the Brady Campaign, gun owners and supporters of the Second Amendment must prepare now not only for the next two legislative sessions, but also for the mid-term elections in 2010. While the party that controls the White House usually loses some seats in the House and Senate, Republicans again will have more Senate seats at-risk than will the Democrats. We absolutely cannot let the Democrats get a filibuster proof 60 vote margin in the Senate. If President Obama gets a blank check for his coming Supreme Court nominee(s), then even the Heller decision could be in jeopardy. Remember, we only won by one vote and that was cast by Justice Kennedy who is 72 years old.

The NRA and its members are the only organization that can prevent a constitutional catastrophe in terms of attacks on the Second Amendment and the Heller decision. Even if Heller is not overturned, if Justice Kennedy is replaced by an anti-gun Obama nominee, then you can count on the Supreme Court finding any conceivable gun control legislation to be a “reasonable restriction” on a constitutional right.

The 2008 federal elections make it abundantly clear that the NRA must grow at an unprecedented rate the next several months, if gun owners are to protect the Second Amendment and the gains we have made at both the state and federal level in the last several years. That is no typo, I said months, not years. We do not have years before the anti-gun leadership in the Democrat Party start their agenda. If the NRA doubles or triples in membership relatively over night, that will send a chill through the likes of Senators Schumber, Feinstein and Boxer, and even Nancy Pelosi will have to admit that gun control is still a losing issue for their Party. The message will be both in terms of the number of NRA members and in the speed with which the membership grew after the 2008 election.

There are approximately 250,000 NRA members in Texas. Many Texans are surprised to learn that our great State is actually third in terms of NRA membership nationwide. I am starting what I call Project One Million: Texas. This is not an official NRA membership program or campaign, but I promise you I will not be kicked off the NRA Board of Directors if Texas quadruples its NRA membership! From time to time, many of us have commented that if every NRA member recruited just one more member, the NRA would double in size. Well, Project One Million: Texas is only asking you to get four new members. I know, I know, but this is Texas and we do everything bigger and better here.

Seriously, this is obviously a very ambitious undertaking and it will not be easy to increase Texas NRA membership fourfold in a matter of months, but it is certainly doable. All of the elements of a successful campaign are present. I am not sure what the current figures are, but only a very few years ago, Texas sold over 1 million hunting licenses. Every one of those licensees should be a member of the NRA and the TSRA. There are no accurate figures for the number of Texans who own guns, but they must number in the millions. All of these people are candidates for membership. Even NRA members have family who have not joined the organization so our recruiting can begin at home! If we can accomplish the goal of 1 million Texas NRA members, then our achievement will serve as a challenge to other states and we can see the NRA with 8, 10 or perhaps even 12 million members! With membership at that level, no one will dare to attack our Second Amendment rights, either in Washington or Austin.

If you are not an NRA member, or if you have family members who have not yet joined the fight for the Second Amendment, please click on the link in the header and join. I get a monthly report on the number of people who join the NRA by clicking on the link in the TexasCHLforum header and I will post that information. I will contact the NRA Membership Dept. and ask to be provided membership figures for Texas. It would sure be nice to be able to trace our new members to Project One Million: Texas, so please use the link here on the TexasCHLforum and provide it to others. Consider copying the link to your signature line for other boards you visit. Let’s face it, it would be very impressive to our elected officials in Austin and Washington if we could point to the http://www.TexasCHLforum.com (and the newly created Texas CHL Forum, Inc.) as being responsible for quadrupling NRA membership in Texas. Political clout of that magnitude can get things done in Austin!

Please join me in this effort and spread the word: Support Project One Million: Texas!

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: What is Project One Million: Texas?

Postby AEA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:59 pm

Well, I hate to admit it,........but, I had been putting off joining for quite awhile......

I realize the importance of the work they do in my best interests and I appreciate Charles putting this plan of attack together and addressing our Members here.

We can beat them with their own game..........throw as much money at the NRA as we can afford and we will win!

Today, I joined the NRA as a Distinguished Life Member. I will be actively promoting membership to my family members and others. Heck.......if necessary, I will pay their membership! Hows that for a plan? If you can get them interested and informed of how important this is now and the spare money may not be there for them to join now, offer and pay for their first year!

Just imagine by being out only 120.00 you would have signed up 4 new NRA Members for at least a year!

Thanks Charles......for reminding me in such a positive way!
:thewave
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!
AEA

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Thank you AEA not only for joining but for helping to spread the word. This effort must go far beyond just the TexasCHLforum if we are to make a difference. That's why I created my signature line and I hope everyone does likewise and spreads the word on all gun boards.

Thanks again,
Chas.
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Postby ScubaSigGuy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:44 pm

AEA wrote:Well, I hate to admit it,........but, I had been putting off joining for quite awhile......

I realize the importance of the work they do in my best interests and I appreciate Charles putting this plan of attack together and addressing our Members here.

We can beat them with their own game..........throw as much money at the NRA as we can afford and we will win!

Today, I joined the NRA as a Distinguished Life Member. I will be actively promoting membership to my family members and others. Heck.......if necessary, I will pay their membership! Hows that for a plan? If you can get them interested and informed of how important this is now and the spare money may not be there for them to join now, offer and pay for their first year!

Just imagine by being out only 120.00 you would have signed up 4 new NRA Members for at least a year!

Thanks Charles......for reminding me in such a positive way!
:thewave

AEA,

I bet you are the first person ever to join the NRA from your current location? ;-)
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER
ScubaSigGuy

Postby AEA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Yep,....I would guess so....... :smilelol5:
1911's RULE!
AEA

Postby The Annoyed Man » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thank you AEA not only for joining but for helping to spread the word. This effort must go far beyond just the TexasCHLforum if we are to make a difference. That's why I created my signature line and I hope everyone does likewise and spreads the word on all gun boards.

Thanks again,
Chas.

Done; and I will also put it on my own discussion board. Plus, right now I can think of 3 people I can sign up.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself." — Me
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." — H. L. Mencken
"A ragamuffin knows he’s only a beggar at the door of God’s mercy." — The Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning
The Annoyed Man

Postby Mike1951 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:18 pm

That's why I created my signature line and I hope everyone does likewise and spreads the word on all gun boards.

Someone please explain how to put a link in the sig line.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951

Postby The Annoyed Man » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Mike1951 wrote:
That's why I created my signature line and I hope everyone does likewise and spreads the word on all gun boards.

Click on "User Control Panel" at the upper left, immediately above this thread title. Once you are in your control panel, select the "profile" tab. When that loads, select "Edit Signature" from the menu on the left. The same tags that you would use in a post can be used in your signature line. Save the changes.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself." — Me
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." — H. L. Mencken
"A ragamuffin knows he’s only a beggar at the door of God’s mercy." — The Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning
The Annoyed Man

Postby Mike1951 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:19 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Mike1951 wrote:

Click on "User Control Panel" at the upper left, immediately above this thread title. Once you are in your control panel, select the "profile" tab. When that loads, select "Edit Signature" from the menu on the left. The same tags that you would use in a post can be used in your signature line. Save the changes.

To clarify, I know how to insert a link. What i don't know is how o enter descriptive text for the link.

http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp ... d=XR019416
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:30 pm

Mike1951 wrote:Someone please explain how to put a link in the sig line.
. . .

To clarify, I know how to insert a link. What i don't know is how o enter descriptive text for the link.

http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp ... d=XR019416

All you have to do is add "[url=" in front of the link and "]" after it, then put the descriptive text you want, then add "[/url]"

Here is an example but I'm using { instead of [ so it will be visible.:

{url=http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR019416}Project One Million: Texas{/url}

I hope this makes sense.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Postby Mike1951 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks for the assistance.

Now, is it possible to insert a live link the same way into email signatures?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951

Postby AEA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Yes
1911's RULE!
AEA

Postby Mike1951 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:31 pm

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but thought that others might have the same questions.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951

Postby AEA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:33 pm

Sorry, didn't read your question correctly......but the answer may still be yes..........give it a try.......but I could be wrong.

Just send a test email to yourself.
1911's RULE!
AEA

Postby Mike1951 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:40 pm

I did using the same format and it didn't work.

It just displayed as text.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951

Next

Return to Project One Million Texas: Information & Status