What is Project One Million: Texas?

Information on the Project will be posted here, along with updated progress reports.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Re: What is Project One Million: Texas?

Postby AEA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:02 pm

I think it would work if your Email is HTML enabled.
For example, Microsoft Outlook Express under Tools/Options/Send you select HTML or Plain Text.

Other Email Clients should have the option to select the sending format as well.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!
AEA

Postby lrb111 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:57 am

It is unique to this format forum to use the brackets [ ]. Real html will need the other standard brackets < >
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor
lrb111

Postby Wildscar » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:29 am

I have updated my signature.

Also I had this thread about trading Christimas gifts for NRA memberships. Seems like it works for some people.
Trade Christmas Gifts for NRA Memberships!!!
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Wildscar

Postby bdickens » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:07 pm

I'll do my part. I'm giving out a couple of gift memberships and twisting some arms at work. I'm also going to post a link to this at The High Road and on my Blog.
Byron Dickens
bdickens

Postby sbb » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:21 pm

This year I have given a membership to my wife and my one of my sons. After receiving the update from NRA on Friday, I immediately emailed all of my hunting and shooting buddies. If they were already members I asked that they forward the email to all of their other shooting sports friends in an effort to drive membership. I also emailed all of my distant relatives in an effort to get them to join or rejoin.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine
sbb

Postby austin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:35 pm

Wht we need is a rally in DC where one million people show up.

Or a rally at each state capitol on the same day.
austin

Postby jpierce30 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:37 pm

I am re-uping my son and daughter. I will also be enlisting my wife and future son-in-law.
I will sent out an email to all my contacts with the link and encourage all to support the cause.

Lets make this happen!!
jpierce30

Postby Skiprr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:29 pm

I've upgraded to Endowment Member, and will be buying two annual memberships as gifts.

Every little bit helps...
It isn't just important any longer, it's critical. Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today!
NRA Patron Life Member
Skiprr

Postby getnit1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:39 pm

I have been a member for about 15 years. I decided to do the Easy Pay Life finally. I wish I would have put the money towards a life membership back then. If I was younger I would definitely go that way. Well I started doing it at 37 I am sure some wish they would have started at 37. Our range requires you to be a NRA member which I like.
getnit1

Postby scott_dfw » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 am

I too had been putting it off...but I will take the "lifer" option as well.

One idea... I'm not sure how many "financially endowed" people we have on the board here, or that are able to be tapped into...but I work at a University, and I could sign up dozens of people. I think if the money aspect were taken out (for some people) than it would help encourage them to sign up. I know a lot of people that have the desire and the pro-gun mindset, that cant commit the $ at this time.

Godspeed to the movement... I hope that we get our million, and then some! I'm tired of having to defend our rights... how about a government that'll PROTECT our rights?? :patriot:

-scott :cool:
(triple checked for profanity)
scott_dfw

Postby Skiprr » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Ya know, when I mentioned that I had upgraded my membership, I neglected to note something. If you received the recent "validate your membership now" mailing (mine was dated November 28) that included the option to upgrade your membership, you might want to do it via the toll-free number rather than mailing in the card or doing it online. Three reasons:

First, if you tell them you want your upgrade associated with a specific membership drive, they will do that. I gave them the Project One Million: Texas ID: XR019416.

Second: when I declined, at that time, any additional memberships as gifts, I said I was planning to buy two annuals, but had to first confirm with the folks that they wanted them. The operator told me that so long as I called back to the special 877-NRA-2008 number, the discounted rate of $20 per annual membership would remain valid through January 20. And I was again told so long as I requested the new memberships be associated with XR019416, they would be.

Third, they'll also ask you if you want to contribute a one-year membership for $25 to a member of our armed forces. Evidently the NRA is collecting a pool of the donated memberships and making them available at no charge to people serving in the military. Seemed like a good idea to me, so I took 'em up on that one. It won't necessarily be a new Texas membership, but it's a good cause.

And that leads me to Scott's observation:

scott_dfw wrote:One idea... I'm not sure how many "financially endowed" people we have on the board here, or that are able to be tapped into...but I work at a University, and I could sign up dozens of people. I think if the money aspect were taken out (for some people) then it would help encourage them to sign up. I know a lot of people that have the desire and the pro-gun mindset, that can't commit the $ at this time.

I am far from "financially endowed," but I could spring for more two annual memberships as gifts for people I don't know. And I'll bet others here would be willing to offer up a membership or two in the Christmas spirit.

If someone wants to administer the idea, it seems like we could start another Topic where members here could raise their hands and commit to one or more gift memberships. Then the administrator of the "plan" would match us up with a Texan who wants a membership, and PM us his or her details (name, complete mailing address, telephone number, email address; magazine preference: American Rifleman, American Hunter, America's 1st Freedom...yeah; I snagged the required info off the NRA Website).

We'd buy the membership in the "giftee's" name, and notify the plan administrator when the deed was done. We or the administrator could drop an email back to the "giftee" confirming that they'd be receiving their credentials soon.

I imagine there would be no shortage of folks, particularly students, who might want to put their names in the hat for a free membership. For example, I know that Lone Star Community College near Conroe runs a program called "The Second Amendment Academy." I'd bet the faculty sponsors for that would welcome the idea of a pool of free NRA memberships. If it catches on, no reason it couldn't extend a few months beyond Christmas and just be sort of a first-in first-out waiting list in the name of Project One Million: Texas. I could go a couple of more gift memberships after we get past the holidays.

I don't know how many offers to sponsor memberships we could get, so we should probably start small with a "Willing to Sponsor" Topic, and just see what comes of it.

But we'd need an administrator/organizer (wink, wink). Whaddya (nudge, nudge) think, Scott? The administrator could report simple numbers here to keep us informed of all the good work we're doing; no names. And maintain an Excel spreadsheet with the details for Charles and Texas CHL Forum, Inc.

Thinkin' out loud...
It isn't just important any longer, it's critical. Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today!
NRA Patron Life Member
Skiprr

Postby nitrogen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 pm

If I see some serious attempts by the NRA to embrace more folks than just the stereotypical gun owners, I'll probably go EPL. Either that, or if things really get as bad as some of the bloviating I see, I'll probably go EPL then, too.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so.
--Will Rogers
nitrogen

Postby scott_dfw » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:38 pm

That is great! I'm up for whatever I can do.

-Scott
scott_dfw

Postby Mike1951 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:23 am

Although not as grandiose as Skiprr's excellent idea, it occurs to me that free 1-yr memberships are sometimes included with firearms.

If we receive offers and are already a member, there needs to be a way for others to use these offers.

True, it won't immediately benefit the NRA's was chest, but we need a huge increase in the membership number and many of these would extend their membership.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951

Postby scott_dfw » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:16 pm

My thoughts are (and may be subjec to error)...that the NRA needs numbers of people, to show that a majority of citizens (read: taxpayers) care about their 2AR and support gun owners...not necessarily the monitary part of it. Sure, it takes lots of money to make things happen, but I'm sure the coffers arent full of cobwebs yet. ;)

The idea to pass along the free membership credits (from new guns, etc) is a great idea. We need to implement distribution of that somehow.

I talk frequently with the SCCC rep at the University here... I could try to engage them a little better, and perhaps they could setup a table at the student center or something... (you know...where all the tree huggers, and other organizations setup tables to promote their causes).

:txflag:
scott_dfw

PreviousNext

Return to Project One Million Texas: Information & Status