School Safety Certification Instructor Classes

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 4

School Safety Certification Instructor Classes

Post by kg5ie »

Not sure what the official name of the class is going to be, but any word on when we will be able to apply to be a School Safety Certification Instructor?

Thanks,

Bill
Last edited by kg5ie on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
kg5ie

Re: School Safety Instructor Classes

Post by kg5ie »

Well, the training material was posted on the Instructor Resources page for a day, then they took it back down. :-(
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

Topic author
kg5ie

Re: School Safety Instructor Classes

Post by kg5ie »

Well, the training material is back up including the application form for the instructor course. I have submitted the LTC-94 application. Guess now begins the wait to see when the classes make and where they will be held.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Classes

Post by troglodyte »

Have we really figured out what this really is? I'm really interested but I'm not sure what it really entails or who it is designed for.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I was in the first of two pilot classes and my certificate should be here next week. Classes for LTC instructors who want this extra certification to teach the school safety course will likely be scheduled in January. The application form is already on the DPS website.

The legislative purpose for this course is to teach teachers how to defend a class against an "active shooter." The target audience are teachers who carry handguns in their classrooms. This is not a 4 hr. course for teachers. It's a minimum of 16 hrs. and the shooting portion of the class is going to be pretty demanding for come folks. (90% score on the range.) I was very impressed with the course DPS created in response to this very difficult legislative mandate of a 16hr course. It won't make teachers "operators," but it will make them think and give them some direction. This is better than trying to figure out what to do when they hear the first rounds going off.

Chas.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Will regular people be able to take these classes and get a certificate. A course like this sounds like it would be appropriate for the workplace, or even at terrorist targets like malls, churches or workplaces.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

superchief wrote:what are the requirements for instructors?
At one time, consideration was given to requiring not only certification as an LTC instructor, but some relevant experience as well. I don't think that was adopted. The instructor application asks if the LTC Instructor has taught at least 4 LTC classes within the last year.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Liberty wrote:Will regular people be able to take these classes and get a certificate. A course like this sounds like it would be appropriate for the workplace, or even at terrorist targets like malls, churches or workplaces.
I don't know of any requirement that a student must be a teacher or other employee of a school to take the course. I wholeheartedly agree that it would be an appropriate course for businesses, churches, etc. I plan to offer such classes, including our church.

Chas.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

FYI, the DL/ID number field appears to be coded incorrectly if your filling this form out via Acrobat.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Charles,

Since you were in one of the pilot classes - how many days are we talking about?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RossA »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Liberty wrote:Will regular people be able to take these classes and get a certificate. A course like this sounds like it would be appropriate for the workplace, or even at terrorist targets like malls, churches or workplaces.
I don't know of any requirement that a student must be a teacher or other employee of a school to take the course. I wholeheartedly agree that it would be an appropriate course for businesses, churches, etc. I plan to offer such classes, including our church.

Chas.
Charles, I once inquired about offering similar classes for churches, and I was told that teaching classes to "security teams" or whatever you would call them constituted a violation of the Occupations Code which requires someone to be certified as a licensed Texas Security Guard instructor.
Is that right?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RossA »

Scott B. wrote:FYI, the DL/ID number field appears to be coded incorrectly if your filling this form out via Acrobat.
So does the field for entering Jr. or Sr. after your name
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

RossA wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Charles, I once inquired about offering similar classes for churches, and I was told that teaching classes to "security teams" or whatever you would call them constituted a violation of the Occupations Code which requires someone to be certified as a licensed Texas Security Guard instructor.
Is that right?
I suspect Charles will offer it to the members of his congregation and not to a "security team" specifically.

I would like the "security team" issue cleared up in this legislative session. If schools can ask their teachers to carry, even offering stipends for training or purchasing firearms and ammo, then it seems a precedent has been set. Why can't church members volunteer to do the same?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RossA wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Is that right?
I don't know. If I teach the class to churches, it won't be to security teams, but to Sunday School teachers and other Bible Study leaders.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”