Houston Chronicle - Packing a gun at your business sends the wrong message

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Houston Chronicle - Packing a gun at your business sends the wrong message

Post by OneGun »

Steve5115 wrote:Monday Letters:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion ... o-13252394

Regarding "Weapons laws create dilemma for businesses" (Page B1, Sunday), business columnist Chris Tomlinson makes a compelling case for not conducting business with a business that allows employees and/or customers to carry weapons in its establishment.
Since most businesses do not post 30.06 / 30.07 signs, there will be very few stores for the letter-writer to visit.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TVGuy »

OneGun wrote:
You're right. I did visit the NRA website recently to purchase a 3-year renewal of my NRA membership. Nonetheless, I still found it humorous that there was a NRA Carry Guard ad on an anti-gun article.
Publishers do have the ability to block ads from businesses they choose, so the fact that they are allowing that type of ad to come up is pretty funny.

tx85
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tx85 »

The author's ignorance of existing law is on display in the article:
Texas lawmakers have steadily expanded the right to carry weapons in public places, and a law effective Sept. 1 will allow adults to openly carry large knives and swords. Soon, Texans will be sporting 12-inch Bowie knives strapped to their hips and displaying daggers on their desks.
It's legal under existing law to display a dagger on your desk on your private property. The new law legalizes possession in public (with some limited exceptions).

Leftists always seem to have trouble differentiating between private and public property. It's as if they're closeted communists...

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

tx85 wrote:The author's ignorance of existing law is on display in the article:
Texas lawmakers have steadily expanded the right to carry weapons in public places, and a law effective Sept. 1 will allow adults to openly carry large knives and swords. Soon, Texans will be sporting 12-inch Bowie knives strapped to their hips and displaying daggers on their desks.
It's legal under existing law to display a dagger on your desk on your private property. The new law legalizes possession in public (with some limited exceptions).

Leftists always seem to have trouble differentiating between private and public property. It's as if they're closeted communists...

Yeah, I fully expect most business owners to be carrying sabers, or kantanas, soon. :banghead:

Just another snowflake, who just can't stand the fact that all of their anti-gun rhetoric, is falling on deaf ears, and trying to stir up an issue that is not there. I guess he would feel safer, in a convenience store at 3 am with bars on the widows, and 30.06, and 30.07 signs posted, you know to prevent crime, and give a good impression to customers. :roll:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

E10

Post by E10 »

tx85 wrote: It's legal under existing law to display a dagger on your desk on your private property...
That isn't a dagger, it's a 12" letter opener. (I get a lot of mail in big envelopes.)

If the letter writer gets his LTC and discovers this forum, like many of us he'll probably begin making note of places with 30.06 and 30.07 signs in order to avoid them in the future.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Regarding "Weapons laws create dilemma for businesses" (Page B1, Sunday), business columnist Chris Tomlinson makes a compelling case for not conducting business with a business that allows employees and/or customers to carry weapons in its establishment.[/quote][/quote]

"Weapons expose all of us to the perils of accidents, domestic violence, suicide..." OMG! Now "weapons expose... perils..." And keyboards expose us to poor logic! Are you kidding me? :banghead:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Maxwell wrote:
Regarding "Weapons laws create dilemma for businesses" (Page B1, Sunday), business columnist Chris Tomlinson makes a compelling case for not conducting business with a business that allows employees and/or customers to carry weapons in its establishment.
[/quote]

"Weapons expose all of us to the perils of accidents, domestic violence, suicide..." OMG! Now "weapons expose... perils..." And keyboards expose us to poor logic! Are you kidding me? :banghead:[/quote]

Yes, clearly I am exposed to the risk of domestic violence and suicide because someone I have never met might be legally carrying a concealed weapon at a Whataburger. Let's just ignore the fact that anyone with a history of domestic violence or mental issues like depression would not be able to legally carry there in the first place since they couldn't get an LTC, or buy a gun.

I'll grant him the (minute) risk of an accident. But bear in mind that I would have just subjected myself to the infinitely higher chance of accidental death / injury by walking across the parking lot to get in the front door.

I do sincerely hope that this guy follows through on his plan to not visit any business that allows employees or customers to carry weapons (his wording). Unfortunately, he will soon starve, because every restaurant and grocery store I know of allows LEO's to carry, and almost every one of them also allows weapons that are not handguns. But he will be extremely safe right up until he dies of starvation. Unless he is killed by someone committing suicide in the car next to his at a traffic light, of course.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Houston Chronicle is a Hearst Newspapers, LLC liberal rag. They rarely post/write/distribute an even-handed honest article about anything dealing with family values, abortion, conservative position on issues, guns or self-defense. Its paper subscriptions took a major dive years ago and I've been told this has not changed. That's why they rely more and more on the website at http://www.Chron.com for advertising revenue. Apparently, there's even a subscription-based web access section, but I have not confirmed that for obvious reasons. I quit reading their website simply because I do not want to contribute to their "click count" it uses to seek advertisers.
They sold off their downtown office building (since flattened to make room for a parking lot) and retreated to the old Houston Post facility by 610 & 59. They've been laying off staff & shrinking by attrition for years. Last week they fired their in-house editorial cartoonist, Nick Anderson, and won't be replacing him. I used to hang out w. Nick socially; fun guy until the conversation turned to politics. I think he quit hanging out with me because of that; he could barely conceal his disdain for anyone who just 'didn't get it' (the obvious superiority of Progressive Wisdom).
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Stupid articles written by mentally ill liberals like this is why Trump won.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

"I guess he would feel safer, in a convenience store at 3 am with bars on the widows, and 30.06, and 30.07 signs posted, you know to prevent crime, and give a good impression to customers."

And don't forget the 'Gun Free Zone' sign. :lol:
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”