CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pixie123
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Nervous about my proficiency test next week

Post by Pixie123 »

BBYC wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:That would be great. When are you available? What all should I bring? Ammo, and my Ruger? What is the range fee there? Any other fees?
PSC is a private club with no fee for bringing a guest. That said, Charles makes a very generous offer as his time is worth far more than even boutique range fees.
Charles,
I’d love to take you up on this offer. Please let me know if you have some time tomorrow.

Thanks

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Pixie123 wrote:
BBYC wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:That would be great. When are you available? What all should I bring? Ammo, and my Ruger? What is the range fee there? Any other fees?
PSC is a private club with no fee for bringing a guest. That said, Charles makes a very generous offer as his time is worth far more than even boutique range fees.
Charles,
I’d love to take you up on this offer. Please let me know if you have some time tomorrow.

Thanks
We can get together tomorrow morning or afternoon. I have a conference call with NRA HQ at 1:00PM tomorrow, so can't pin down an afternoon time at this point. I'll PM my cell phone number so we can talk.

There are no fees. Just bring your gun, ammo eye/ear protection. I'll also have a larger 9mm for you to shoot.

Chas.

b4aftr

Re:

Post by b4aftr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:
BBYC wrote:
Charles,

Thanks
We can get together tomorrow morning or afternoon. I have a conference call with NRA HQ at 1:00PM tomorrow, so can't pin down an afternoon time at this point. I'll PM my cell phone number so we can talk.

There are no fees. Just bring your gun, ammo eye/ear protection. I'll also have a larger 9mm for you to shoot.

Chas.
What a privilege! Totally jealously here! Almost makes me wish I lived in Houston!

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by John Galt »

allisji wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:Hi all,
Could you tell me how the proficiency will go to ease my stress? I am a novice. I’ve shot a gun about 3 times in my life. I know the basics of how to load, reload, basic gun safety. Will the test Procter ask me to demonstrate anything special? Also, Im not terribly accurate with my Ruger lcp as I’ve only shot it twice. I could not hit anything past 10 yards. I could barely hit targets at 10 yards. I did fine at 3 yards though.

Just wondering if the Procter will ask me to demonstrate anything specific with my pistol, so that I can be prepared for it.
If you have a bigger gun than the LCP you should use it, because it will be more accurate.
Amen! Amen!

oljames3

Re: Re:

Post by oljames3 »

b4aftr wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:
BBYC wrote:
Charles,

Thanks

Chas.
What a privilege! Totally jealously here! Almost makes me wish I lived in Houston!
I'd drive to Friendswood from Austin, just for the privilege of sitting in Mr. Cotton's class. Oh ... wait ... I have actually done that!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Pixie123 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I think you may be in Houston or the surrounding area. I would be happy to meet you at PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood and let you shoot the course for practice, if you wish.

Chas.
That would be great. When are you available? What all should I bring? Ammo, and my Ruger? What is the range fee there? Any other fees?

Thanks
I think we all would be interested in hearing if you met up with Charles this past weekend and, if you did, how the training session went?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

OP when my girlfriend and I took ours, she had never shot a handgun before and she passed it just fine using the instructors gun (cause she didnt have one and he had guns for people to use who didnt have their own). as far as procedures, when i had mine we went out to the range and the instructor said like "Load 5 rounds into your magazine"
then after every1 did that he said
"Load and rack your gun"
after everyone did that he said
"we'll be shooting 1 round in 3 seconds" or "we'll be shooting 2 rounds in 6 second" and things along those lines depending on what part of the test you're at. after youre done he'll come by and score your target. and you either pass or fail. if you DO fail you get 3 chances to pass the proficiency test within 12 months. so basically if you fail 3 times you have to take the class again (which im sure has happened but unless youre completely blind or too weak to hold a gun you'll be fine) also If you hit within the 5 point area with every shot at 3 and 7 you can miss almost (if not) all shots at 15 and still pass... youll be fine
NRA Member

Tejas59

Post by Tejas59 »

Pixie123 wrote:
Just wondering if the Procter will ask me to demonstrate anything specific with my pistol, so that I can be prepared for it.
A lot of good answers. My only suggestion is a little shift in thinking. It's natural to want to pass...but a test can be about evaluation instead of accomplishment. Use the test to find out what you can do, what you know, and what you don't. Finding out what you need to work on is pretty useful stuff. If you also happen to score enough to exceed the arbitrary number that allows you to pass that's great.

And if you aren't focused on being nervous you might be surprised at how well you do...

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Shoot more, your fear comes from not knowing. Call a gun range and ask if you can practice qualifying. This will only help you.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have a number pistols of various sizes and have shot most of my life. Even I don't like shooting my Ruger LCP and I am not sure how accurate I would be past 10 yards either. It is almost too small and the trigger pull on mine is a bit too long. It is okay as a close in defensive pistol, but I think there are much better choices for just shooting at the range and practicing. Many are not even that expensive.

....but the LTC course of fire is not difficult. The best thing to do is just get some ammo and shoot. Practice with someone knowledgeable who is will to help (as you are doing) is also an excellent way to go.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

So... How'd did it go?? :bigear:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Vol Texan

Re: Re:

Post by Vol Texan »

oljames3 wrote:
b4aftr wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: We can get together tomorrow morning or afternoon. I have a conference call with NRA HQ at 1:00PM tomorrow, so can't pin down an afternoon time at this point. I'll PM my cell phone number so we can talk.

Chas.
I'd drive to Friendswood from Austin, just for the privilege of sitting in Mr. Cotton's class. Oh ... wait ... I have actually done that!
I’ve done the same (although I only drove over from west Houston).

After I became a bonafide LTC Instructor I asked Charles if I could audit one of his classes (why not learn from the best when you can!).

He graciously accepted me into one of his classes, and I learned some great lessons that I now use in all of my classes. It was a day well spent.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”