Age old debate: LTC Badges

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasAggLTC
Posts in topic: 5

Age old debate: LTC Badges

Post by TexasAggLTC »

Ok, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this. I know a lot of people when talking about LTC Badges jump to the conclusion that you would be arrested for “impersonating a police officer”, but I don’t understand that logic if you have a badge that clearly says “Texas LTC License”, or something to that nature, and only verbally refer to it as a “Texas License to carry a handgun”.

If you never use the words “police” or “Law Enforcement” when speaking about your badge, gun, or self, how can you be impersonating a police officer?

I would understand if you had a badge that said “Police” or you were wearing a shirt that said “Police” or you verbally said “Police”....

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Age old debate: LTC Badges

Post by Grundy1133 »

well your driver's license isn't a badge, why would a LTC be a badge...? At least that's the way I look at it. :chldancing
NRA Member

Topic author
TexasAggLTC

Post by TexasAggLTC »

Grundy1133 wrote:well your driver's license isn't a badge, why would a LTC be a badge...? At least that's the way I look at it. :chldancing
I’m not talking about our actually licenses. I’m sorry if I didn’t make that clear. We keep our LTC licenses in our wallets...

I’m talking about having a visible badge on your belt next to your open carry firearm. Make sense?

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pariah3j »

OP is talking about something like this:

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
TexasAggLTC

Post by TexasAggLTC »

Pariah3j wrote:OP is talking about something like this:

Yes. Something like this.

How would that be “impersonating a police officer”? Again, this is only if you NEVER use the terms “Police” or “law enforcement” when referring to yourself.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I don't think this debate will end up any differently than the age old debates have.

What are you trying to accomplish with a chl badge and what problem is it solving? Also, how serious do you think the general public and law enforcement would take someone wearing a chl badge that can be ordered from online or bought at a novelty shop?

If we decide it's a great idea, I'll order one that looks like a Texas Ranger badge.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Because most people pay little attention to details. They will only see a shiny thing shaped like a badge and assume you are some kind of LEO. If they do look close enough to figure it out they’ll assume you’re some kind of wannabe. Kinda like those that wear a military uniform around that have never served.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

TexasAggLTC wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:well your driver's license isn't a badge, why would a LTC be a badge...? At least that's the way I look at it. :chldancing
I’m not talking about our actually licenses. I’m sorry if I didn’t make that clear. We keep our LTC licenses in our wallets...

I’m talking about having a visible badge on your belt next to your open carry firearm. Make sense?
i think someone would mistake you for a LEO.. which wouldn't be a good thing.
NRA Member

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

I don’t know if this is still law, but if I remember correctly around the mid 80’s or so I thought it was illegal for Security Companies to use the State Seal in their badges? Maybe someone might have more information or is that true now?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I do not know how this turned out but it wasn't a good situation for anyone.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... 40236.html
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
TexasAggLTC

Post by TexasAggLTC »

mojo84 wrote:I do not know how this turned out but it wasn't a good situation for anyone.

That was back in 2013 when it wasn’t legal to open carry. I don’t see how this relates to today at all.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TexasAggLTC wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I do not know how this turned out but it wasn't a good situation for anyone.

That was back in 2013 when it wasn’t legal to open carry. I don’t see how this relates to today at all.
It relates because the guy was accused of impersonating a leo. The same can happen today.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

carlson1 wrote:

I don’t know if this is still law, but if I remember correctly around the mid 80’s or so I thought it was illegal for Security Companies to use the State Seal in their badges? Maybe someone might have more information or is that true now?
Correct. Security Officers can’t have the State Seal on a uniform, badge, ID card, etc. and cannot say “Police”.

By the way, that is not the Texas Seal on that badge.

Our Security badges do say “Officer” on them... but so does our licenses, so it is allowed.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I don't see the appeal of wanting a badge that says you're a LTC holder... It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist imo. If you OC and have the cops called on you just wait until the cops come and hand them your license... and then afterward decide if you wanna press charges against the people who held you there for unlawful detainment... personally I'd rather carry concealed anyway. I dont wanna traw attention to myself in case theres a BG scoping out the place looking for threats to take out first. (which is why when a BG starts shooting, usually people with guns (like LEOs) usually end up getting shot at first) but i digress. whether you OC or CC it's your call. personally tho I'll stick with concealed.
NRA Member

allisji

Post by allisji »

TexasAggLTC wrote:Ok, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this. I know a lot of people when talking about LTC Badges jump to the conclusion that you would be arrested for “impersonating a police officer”, but I don’t understand that logic if you have a badge that clearly says “Texas LTC License”, or something to that nature, and only verbally refer to it as a “Texas License to carry a handgun”.

If you never use the words “police” or “Law Enforcement” when speaking about your badge, gun, or self, how can you be impersonating a police officer?

I would understand if you had a badge that said “Police” or you were wearing a shirt that said “Police” or you verbally said “Police”....
There are many other reasons why LTCers don't want a badge.

It seems that those who want a badge have settled on Open Carry as the reason why it would be a good idea. Ultimately the argument is that a badge would put the sheeple at ease when they see an openly carried handgun. Why? Because they correlate a badge to the Police.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the badge argument has been around long before Open Carry was legal in Texas. I can only assume that the argument for a badge before Open Carry was legal is effectively the same argument for why Open Carry is effective. In lieu of an openly carried handgun, a badge would indicate that the bearer of the badge is carrying a concealed handgun, thus not an easy target and an effective crime deterrent.

I don't know the laws or court rulings regarding impersonating an LEO, but I would not want to be mistaken for an LEO in an emergency situation. I can think of other ways to indicate my status as an armed citizen if I were so inclined, such as wearing NRA apparel. Though at this point in time I choose to carry concealed and to not indicate my armed status
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”