Deputy Sheriff Aids ATF in Gun-Part Confiscation

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

Deputy Sheriff Aids ATF in Gun-Part Confiscation

Post by Crash »

A letter to the editor in our local newspaper should make us all aware of what's going on in this country. According to the writer of the letter, he received a call from a local deputy sheriff asking about the specialty trigger for his AR-15 that he had purchased legally online 18 months earlier. The deputy went on to say that there were two ATF agents in his office and that if the writer "surrendered the trigger," he wouldn't be charged with a federal felony. The writer goes on to say, "Apparently, the ATF sued the Texas trigger manufacturer in one most anti-gun courts in the country, Brooklyn, New York. Predictably, the judge ruled in favor of the ATF and now I get threatened and my personal property seized, without compensation."

I would never have believed that a deputy sheriff in Texas would have aided the ATF in seizing legally-owned private property. It boggles the imagination.

And, if the trigger was legal when it was purchased, how can the ATF (and the Brooklyn) judge make it illegal retroactively? Shouldn't it be "grandfathered"?

Perhaps it would behoove all of us to buy anything gun- or ammo-related only locally and to always pay cash.

Crash

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Deputy Sheriff Aids ATF in Gun-Part Confiscation

Post by anygunanywhere »

Anyone who thinks that peace officers who have sworn to uphold the constitution will abide by their oath are delusional.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:39 pm Anyone who thinks that peace officers who have sworn to uphold the constitution will abide by their oath are delusional.
careful the fbi is watching

but yes you are 100% dead on
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

The sheriff may have felt a little back-to-the-wall, with two ATF agents standing there grilling him. Sucks, though. I feel more antagonistic towards them than towards the sheriff.
-Ruark

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Since the OP, Crash, does not populate his personal profile with the city, town, or county in which he resides, let me ask this:

In which Texas county did this ATF over reach occur, with the help of the sheriff? Inquiring minds want to know.

Some of us might need a heads up. Perhaps then a boat accident would be advised. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

blue-line.png
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:25 pm Since the OP, Crash, does not populate his personal profile with the city, town, or county in which he resides, let me ask this:

In which Texas county did this ATF over reach occur, with the help of the sheriff? Inquiring minds want to know.

Some of us might need a heads up. Perhaps then a boat accident would be advised. :-)

SIA
If I had to guess, Dallas, Travis, or Harris. JMHO
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

What could possibly be illegal about a trigger?

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I did a search online and found that the manufacturers in question (Rare Breed Triggers and Rare Breed Firearms) were manufacturing complete ARs that are equipped with a trigger assembly that will allow the AR to function in a fully automatic mode. They also sell the triggers separately for installation in an AR. The BATF (and IRS) are after these folks and have a court order against them. Seems reasonable to me.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Or I wonder if it is one of those binary triggers.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by eyedoc »

LTUME1978 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:34 pm I did a search online and found that the manufacturers in question (Rare Breed Triggers and Rare Breed Firearms) were manufacturing complete ARs that are equipped with a trigger assembly that will allow the AR to function in a fully automatic mode. They also sell the triggers separately for installation in an AR. The BATF (and IRS) are after these folks and have a court order against them. Seems reasonable to me.
It functions the same as a bump stock. It forces your finger forward to reset the trigger. The trigger does have to be pulled back in order to fire again. Technically it is legal since the definition of a machine gun is" automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger." The trigger still has to be pulled back each time it fires, so it is not a single function of the trigger.

However, I don't own one and won't fight the government over it.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

C-dub wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:18 pm Or I wonder if it is one of those binary triggers.
FRT not binary.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

Crash wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:10 am And, if the trigger was legal when it was purchased, how can the ATF (and the Brooklyn) judge make it illegal retroactively? Shouldn't it be "grandfathered"?
Well, in exactly 47 days any of the millions of Americans who legally bought an AR-15 pistol brace and have it on a firearm--if it's still on the firearm and they haven't submitted BATFE paperwork to register it as an NFA SBR to get the appropriate permission/stamp--will technically be federal felons. No grandfathering of legal purchases. Happens as of June 1.

(Edited because I messed up the date...)
Last edited by Rafe on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LTUME1978 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:34 pm I did a search online and found that the manufacturers in question (Rare Breed Triggers and Rare Breed Firearms) were manufacturing complete ARs that are equipped with a trigger assembly that will allow the AR to function in a fully automatic mode. They also sell the triggers separately for installation in an AR. The BATF (and IRS) are after these folks and have a court order against them. Seems reasonable to me.
They’re not "fully automatic" triggers. They’re "forced reset" triggers. There is still only ONE round fired per trigger pull, but the trigger does have the same net effect as a bump stock by increasing the rate of fire from shot to shot to shot. Ergo, ATF's actions are illegitimate. If I had ever witnessed one in use, I would have described it as doing a 30 round mag dump in about 5 seconds. However, I categorically deny having ever seen one in use.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

So basically it's a product created secretly by ammunition companies.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”