IF You Could Only Have One Gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

aaangel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IF You Could Only Have One Gun

Post by aaangel »

JRG wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:18 pm Mine would be my Glock 19X. It has had a trigger job and now sports a Holosun red dot. It is a great shooter, and I would and do trust my life with it.

Joe
Same here! I’ve had my 19X ever since it came out. I’ll never let her go!
'got to Texas ASAIC.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Not enough Information to awnser the question.
If for self defense a 1911a1
If I'm trying to survive in the woods a Ruger kmk10

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Grayling813 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:11 am If one I currently own, my Sig P229 Legion.

Otherwise....

I was going to claim a 75mm howitzer, but they are a little hard to carry around.
Steve Rothstein

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I'll assume we are talking about the current world, go-about-my-normal-business, EDC carry. I'd probably go with a Glock, either a 17 or 21. I don't really like the way they fit my hand but I could get used to it. Reliability, parts, yada, yada, yada... I carry and train with Springfield XDs normally and they have never let me down but the supply of Glock parts is indisputable.

If it is a survival type of situation it would be a .22. Not the greatest for anything but able to do just about anything you'd need in a survival situation. Ammo is cheap and light. You can carry hundreds of rounds in a pocket. Low recoil. Low report (especially if you have a can). Easy for just about anyone to shoot.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

patterson

Post by patterson »

Hands down Sig P226

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, I EDC a G19, but I like my G17 too. But if I could only have one gun? I don’t want to live in that world. However, if I could seriously only have one gun, it would be a rifle, not a pistol. Barrel not more than 20", preferably closer to 16". Platform/caliber undecided at this point. SO many possibilities! :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

In the late 70's/early 80's I had only one (center-fire, personal/home defense) gun. A .357 mag Blackhawk, which was later replaced by a police turn-in S&W 586. My goal since then is to have a range of tools available that cover a variety of situations. In theory currently, the "there can be only one" would probably be a 1911 type 6 inch in 10mm, or a Glock 20 or 40.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

I decided on the Glock 19 Gen 5 because:
1. I have one.
2. Reliability (even though it is hard to admit)
3. Easy access to parts.
4. Simple to work on.
5. Ammo is plentiful.
6. Easy to conceal.
7. Makes a good home defense gun.

I hope it never comes down to that, but I never thought I would live long enough to see our Country in the shape it is now. That being said I still think she is the best Country there is.

:patriot:

Crash

Post by Crash »

It would depend on what you want it for. If for EDC or home defense, any of the better 9mm pistols would be OK. But what if TEOTWAWKI occurs and you have to bug out and live in the boonies and you not only have to protect yourself from bad guys, but have to hunt anything from birds to rabbits to deer? And, if and when you bug out, do you have only one gun for your entire family? I'm not so sure that there is any one gun that will suffice for everything that might happen. Where I live (Central Texas), most folks seem to believe that you need at least 4 guns: A "deer rifle," a shotgun, a .22 rimfire, and a pistol for EDC or home defense. That seems like a sensible minimum that would cover most any situation.

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question, but in today's world that's the way I see it.

Crash

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

patterson wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:51 pm Hands down Sig P226
It’s probably between that and a PPQ for me (with an edge to the Sig).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”