Reducing picture resolution?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
T3hK1w1
Posts in topic: 1

Reducing picture resolution?

Post by T3hK1w1 »

Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the resolution (without cropping) of a picture? Say, for instance, reducing a 7 megapixel picture (3 megabytes) to a 2 megapixel (900 KB) or VGA (450 KB) so that I can post it on here?

TexasComputerDude

Re: Reducing picture resolution?

Post by TexasComputerDude »

I think photobucket has an editor built in but I'm not sure. I've always used photoshop.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Irfanview is will do it its free and a fast picture viewer with limmited editing features.
a google search will find it for you'
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

particle

Post by particle »

Personally, I use SmugMug for my photo hosting service. I usually upload the previous month's pictures all at the same time. If my computer ever crashes, or my house burns down, etc. - I can order a back DVD from SmugMug and only lose (if anything) the last month's worth of pictures. It's not free, but it's very inexpensive peace of mind, and extremely convenient.

ANYWAY, from there, SmugMug will allow me to link to any picture in my gallery, and I can select several different size options. I don't have to do any resizing - their computers do everything for me. I believe the other popular photo hosting sites have similar linking options.
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

T3hK1w1 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the resolution (without cropping) of a picture? Say, for instance, reducing a 7 megapixel picture (3 megabytes) to a 2 megapixel (900 KB) or VGA (450 KB) so that I can post it on here?
Picasa3 is a free download that you can use to edit pictures.

http://picasa.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Easy easy easy!!!

Download and install this program written by Microsoft just for the purpose of resizing hundreds of pictures at the click of a button

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... lman2.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Get the image resizer application
Image Resizer

This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.
Install it

Right click on the picture, tell it what size you want it (800x600 is great) then hit resize..it will leave a copy of the original and a smaller 800x600 pixel image you can email easily or post online...cool thing is you can highlight an entire string of images and it will resize them pow pow pow and done!

No more opening an image, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving...just highlight and hit resize!

Done!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

SCone

Post by SCone »

MS Paint will let you "shrink/stretch" pictures.

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

SCone wrote:MS Paint will let you "shrink/stretch" pictures.

opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving,opening, resizing, saving, opening, resizing, saving
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

I always recommend paint.net if you're on windows. (The .net refers to the .NET microsoft framework it's built on, not to be interpreted as a website)

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

irfanview fanatic here. Incredible program and free.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Tks to all for the much needed help. I have been trying unsuccessfully for weeks to get my GGD's Civil War photo shrunk to be my avatar. If he appears here in his grey uniform I will have succeeded. If not, I will try and try again.

Matt Moseley enlisted in Tennessee, moved with his family to Texas after the war, became a doctor, and died in Frost, Texas.

Jim

grumble

Post by grumble »

57Coastie wrote:Tks to all for the much needed help. I have been trying unsuccessfully for weeks to get my GGD's Civil War photo shrunk to be my avatar. If he appears here in his grey uniform I will have succeeded. If not, I will try and try again.

Matt Moseley enlisted in Tennessee, moved with his family to Texas after the war, became a doctor, and died in Frost, Texas.

Jim
Looks to me like you succeeded! Excellent avatar.

:tiphat: to your GGD.
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

grumble wrote:
57Coastie wrote:Tks to all for the much needed help. I have been trying unsuccessfully for weeks to get my GGD's Civil War photo shrunk to be my avatar. If he appears here in his grey uniform I will have succeeded. If not, I will try and try again.

Jim
Looks to me like you succeeded! Excellent avatar.

:tiphat: to your GGD.
Tks, Grumble. My maternal GGD, Matt Moseley served in the Confederate Army of Tennessee under Generals Braxton Bragg, Joe Johnston and John Bell Hood (the latter an adopted Texan). He missed out on the Tennesseeans first exodus to Texas with Davy Crockett, but managed to do so as soon as he could after the war. He was engaged in most of the horrible battles in the western theatre, which included those at Chicamauga, Missionary Hill and Atlanta.

After somehow surviving those battles, after his discharge he became a doctor, devoted, in his own words, to "saving lives, not taking them." He had seen enough death in this most horrible war our nation, or nations, if you will, ever endured, again in his own words, "to last me more than a lifetime." It has been estimated that less than one-quarter of those enlisting in the Army of Tennessee with him lived to return home after the war.

I laid my mother and father to rest in the same cemetary not far from Doctor Moseley and his wife.

With all our recent armed conflicts, and our losses, so well in mind today, I think it does us well to think back about those before, who also willingly gave their lives fighting for what they believed in. Though some of us may not understand some of those causes, we must still honor their sacrifices.

Jim

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”