Winchester Model 94 field strip guide?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 4

Winchester Model 94 field strip guide?

Post by UpTheIrons »

I have my father's 1959 Winchester Model 94 (serial number in the 241XXXX range). This is a great Hill Country deer gun and shoots wonderfully, even after 50 years. I've been trying to find a field stripping guide online somewhere and I'm coming up blank. I give the barrel a good cleaning and oil the action every year, but I'd like to do a more in-depth cleaning because of it's age. Anybody know of one somewhere?

I'm also tempted to lighten the trigger a little, if that's possible, but I don't know if that can even be done. Anybody have some wisdom on this, too?

Half the time I want to get a new rifle and put this one in a place of honor, but it's just too much fun to shoot to relegate it to the gunrack! Besides, its hard to get it to stay on the rack with the side mounted scope.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Winchester Model 94 field strip guide?

Post by NcongruNt »

http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/om/m94pre92.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[EDIT] And then I go and make a fool of myself by not reading it first. Actually, it was still downloading when I posted the link. What kind of gun manual doesn't have field strip instructions?
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Topic author
UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Yeah. Now you see the trouble I've been having! I never asked if my dad still has the original manual - maybe it has some instructions. Of course, it'll be in heiroglyphics or something since it's that old. ;-)

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

I found an exploded view, which may help. Still looking for the takedown guide.

http://www.leverguns.com/exploded_view/ ... n94old.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
TSRA Member

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

You could buy this...

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/2168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though my searching, I've found that a lot of people say don't take it apart.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

I had seen that manual, but I'm always on the lookout for a freebie.

If most say not to take it apart, then I'll probably just blast it with Gunscrubber and oil it up as usual. It's worked fine for 50 years, so I probably shouldn't fix what ain't broke! The last thing I need to do is break something and need to fix it.

It's good to get a few more sets of eyes out there looking in places I never thought to look.

Thanks guys!

jwp
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jwp »

There's a reason that the Winchester manual says you shouldn't try to take it apart. However, if you're adamant that you want to do it, here's a good guide: http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm. Make absolutely certain that you have a good set of hollow-ground screwdrivers before you start this.
-- John Pierce, jwpretd@satx.rr.com
A patriot must always stand ready to defend his country from its government. -- Edward Abbey

Topic author
UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

jwp wrote: However, if you're adamant that you want to do it, here's a good guide: http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm. Make absolutely certain that you have a good set of hollow-ground screwdrivers before you start this.
Thanks for this link. It looks like it has all I need. I may not try to tear it down this year, but probably next year for sure - there's likely some crud in the magazine tube like the guide says.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”