My cost to reload and equipment payback

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 1

My cost to reload and equipment payback

Post by CWOOD »

I just got my new reloading set-up. Everyone always asks ( so did I just a few months ago) about the cost to reload and how long it takes to recover the cost of the equipment with your savings. Well, here are the numbers for me. Yours will vary with the price you pay for equipment, what you have been paying for factory ammo, and how much you shoot per year.

I shoot between 2000 and 2500 rounds per year +/-. I didn't feel that justified the expense and complications of a progressive loader. I decided to get the Lee Classic Turret Press kit from Cabelas. It should load at least 150/hour after I get more experience. I shoot 45ACP from a Glock 30 and will be shooting 230gr jacketed RN bullets. I have chosed Winchester WST for its cleanliness and Winchester primers because that is all that is available locally now. I will probably go with Wolf primers 5000 at a time later to save a bit more...about half a cent per round.

RELOADING EQUIPMENT EXPENSES
Lee Classic turret kit from Cabelas $135
(had a $30 off coupon online around Xmas)
Kit includes press,Pro Auto-disc measure, Auto Disc
riser, rifle charging die, Large and Small Safety primes,
Lee scale

Cabelas Case Tumbler Kit 57

Lee Carbide Deluxe Die Set 33

25# Walnut media from Harbor Freight 25

Electronic Caliper from Harbor Freight 19

Lee Modern Reloading manual 15

TOTAL $284

RELOADING COMPONENT EXPENSE

Precision Delta 230gr jacket RN, delivered/1000 $114

Winchester large pistol primer/1000 27

Winchester WST powder/4# jug 62

Range brass cleaned and polished 0

TOTAL $204

EQUIPMENT EXPENSE RECOVERY

Cheapest factory ammo to compare---Blazer aluminum
from Weidners delivered/1000 $304

Cost for Reloading equipment 284

Cost to reload 1000 rounds 158
Cost per round .158

Savings per round vs. factory ammo .146
(.304-.158=.146)

Reloaded rounds needed to recover equipment costs
(284 /.146) 1940 rounds

So in less than one years shooting (for me) I will have paid for my equipment.

I might add that I also got a few out of pocket incidental like a Lee primer pocket cleaner for about $2 and a Cabelas kinetic bullet puller (this is a REALLY handy tool) for about $15.

Your experience will vary but it might give your some idea of current pricing.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Regards

longtooth

Re: My cost to reload and equipment payback

Post by longtooth »

I find that very interesting. I have never been the Math guy to do that & I have just told new loaders "If they shoot" reloading is an excellent money saver. Thanks for the #s.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

I have always said that you do not save cash when you start reloading. You just shoot a lot more without spending more money.
I am reloading 45acp for about .135 per round which saves me slightly over 50% of factory ammo. These numbers vary depending on what's on sale, bullet prices, ect., but it is a good average number.(two years ago this number was .08 per round). I buy powder and primers in bluk which cuts down on the cost. My savings are even more on other calibers such as 38 Super, 44 special, 45 Colt, and 357 mag.

I changed handgun calibers from single stage to progressive several years ago, so all equipment costs have been recovered many rounds ago. My change to progressive was made to save wear and tear on these old arms, not just to increase my production rate. 4,000 lever pulls used to give me 1,000 rounds. Using the XL650 4,000 pulls gives me 4,000 rounds. To paraphrase the commerical -- cost per round .135 cents each, extending the age that I can still go to the range - priceless!

Wrightwing
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wrightwing »

Started reloading yesterday... :hurry:

Bought the Lee Anniversary Kit from Cabelas. The kit, a SS caliper, .40 S&W Carbide Die Set, powder, primers, casings & bullets came to $231.00 out the door.

After setting up and reading manual again & again. Double & triple checked scale and measuring for powder, practiced a few dummy rounds to get the feel.

I finally turned out 10 rounds last night. I think they are good, will find out the range Monday.

This is fun :patriot:

Ron
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

It has been suggested that one should try a few rounds with each recipe before loading up a big pile of ammo that may not work. Pulling a bullet or two isn't a big deal. Pulling a couple hundred takes the fun out of it - been there and done that :banghead:

Wrightwing
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wrightwing »

:iagree:
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member

quoheleth

Post by quoheleth »

Check out http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a very accurate cost.

It doesn't take into account equipment cost.

Plug in your prices. Remember - if you recycle your brass or use range brass, count brass cost as "zero." I call it Enron math, as it makes the numbers look better. Otherwise, don't forget to average brass life - I've reloaded some .38 Special cases 6 or 7 times. Not bad for a $20 box of ammo.

Q
Texas CHL received 07/24/09 and being used daily.

Return to “Reloading Forum”