What to do after use of concealed handgun

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mondo2000
Posts in topic: 2

What to do after use of concealed handgun

Post by mondo2000 »

I have been reading on what to do to prepare in case I have to use my handgun in a self defense situation. The problem is what should I do if I ever have to? I cannot find any information online.

Here is a situation. I am walking to my car and someone pulls out a knife or handgun to rob me. I give them my wallet but they do not leave so I use deadly force to stop the attacker. Now the attacker is laying on the ground bleeding. What do I do now?

This is what I think I should do. Please correct me or add anything else.

1. Look at the situation and see if there are any other hazardous situations present. If there is such as another attacker or a mob then escape the situation
2. If there is no immediate danger in the environment then remove the weapon from the attacker so that they cannot get it. Something like kicking the knife or other weapon out of reach of the attacker.
3. Put away your handgun so that it is properly concealed.
4. Call 9-1-1 and report that you are a concealed handgun licensee and that you used your handgun in self-defense against an attacker.
5. Get instructions from the 9-1-1 dispatcher and wait for the police to come.
6. As you wait call your attorney.

AEA

Re: What to do after use of concealed handgun

Post by AEA »

mondo2000 wrote:I am walking to my car and someone pulls out a knife or handgun to rob me. I give them my wallet but they do not leave so I use deadly force to stop the attacker.
My opinion is that you have not been aware of your surroundings and that caused you to be in this confrontation. Additionally, if someone pulls a gun or a knife on you (for whatever reason, robbery included) your action should be to draw and fire as fast as you can and be moving at the same time. More often than not these days, the perp will kill the victim even after they have complied with all their demands. Consider for a moment that he told you to drop your pants......... or he told you to lay down face first on the ground?

If you are going to give them your wallet (realizing you are already behind the curve considerably), use that as a distraction by throwing it on the ground while drawing.

Everything else in you list looks OK, except holstering your pistol and calling your lawyer. Make the one call to 911 and remain alert. Do not make any other calls until the Police arrive and secure the scene. This is so you can remain alert and ready for any further necessity to respond.

I would keep the pistol at the ready for any other thugs that may be hesitating to advance on you. Once the Police arrive, I would place my Pistol on the ground and step away from it with my open hands up above my head. Then follow the instructions of the Police.

This is my opinion. No one will ever know exactly what to do when this happens to them. You can only count on your training and your muscle memory developed by your training. You MAY win and you may not. The purpose of even having a weapon with you is to give you a chance of success. The best defense is to train as much as you can and do not get caught in this situation.

Be aware, be ready, be safe! :txflag:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by killerfly128 »

AEA wrote:
mondo2000 wrote:I am walking to my car and someone pulls out a knife or handgun to rob me. I give them my wallet but they do not leave so I use deadly force to stop the attacker.
My opinion is that you have not been aware of your surroundings and that caused you to be in this confrontation. Additionally, if someone pulls a gun or a knife on you (for whatever reason, robbery included) your action should be to draw and fire as fast as you can and be moving at the same time. More often than not these days, the perp will kill the victim even after they have complied with all their demands. Consider for a moment that he told you to drop your pants......... or he told you to lay down face first on the ground?

If you are going to give them your wallet (realizing you are already behind the curve considerably), use that as a distraction by throwing it on the ground while drawing.

Everything else in you list looks OK, except holstering your pistol and calling your lawyer. Make the one call to 911 and remain alert. Do not make any other calls until the Police arrive and secure the scene. This is so you can remain alert and ready for any further necessity to respond.

I would keep the pistol at the ready for any other thugs that may be hesitating to advance on you. Once the Police arrive, I would place my Pistol on the ground and step away from it with my open hands up above my head. Then follow the instructions of the Police.

This is my opinion. No one will ever know exactly what to do when this happens to them. You can only count on your training and your muscle memory developed by your training. You MAY win and you may not. The purpose of even having a weapon with you is to give you a chance of success. The best defense is to train as much as you can and do not get caught in this situation.

Be aware, be ready, be safe! :txflag:

This sounds good ... but i think that to throw the wallet with a pushing motion at the BG's face will buy you about 2-3 seconds

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

After assuring that there no other threats, call 911 and request an ambulance for the GSV. According to Charles this will show your concern for the person you just shot and look a lot better to a grand jury if you are charged in the shooting. Then ask for the police. Don't talk to anyone without your lawyer, not an admission of guilt, just protecting yourself.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

AEA wrote:More often than not these days, the perp will kill the victim even after they have complied with all their demands.
Citations needed. I'm not claiming the truth is contrary to what you say but would just like to have some articles or stats making this claim for my personal library.

Topic author
mondo2000

Post by mondo2000 »

This is a hypothetical. Hopefully, me being aware of my surroundings would stop the situation before the criminal tried to rob me. This is only a question of what to do after I shot him. Of course I would do things different depending on my distance to the attacker.

I only wanted to get suggestions on what to do afterward. What would be the problem with calling your lawyer at the scene and why not re holster if you have assessed the scene?

stroo

Post by stroo »

Buy Massad Ayoob's book "In the Gravest Extreme". It will help you out a lot on these issues.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

And if you ever have an opportunity to attend one of Charles Cotton's Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Law Seminars, do it. You will receive some extremely valuable information concerning the use of deadly force, Texas laws and things you should/shouldn't do in this type of scenario. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

mondo2000 wrote:2. If there is no immediate danger in the environment then remove the weapon from the attacker so that they cannot get it. Something like kicking the knife or other weapon out of reach of the attacker.
I think I would stay behind cover instead of getting closer to the criminal.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

AEA

Post by AEA »

atxgun wrote:
AEA wrote:More often than not these days, the perp will kill the victim even after they have complied with all their demands.
Citations needed. I'm not claiming the truth is contrary to what you say but would just like to have some articles or stats making this claim for my personal library.
I have no access to articles or stats for you. It is a well known occurrence with the proliferation of Gangs and their "Right's of Passage" for new members.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

rmoraes

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
Good info. I would hoster b4 the police arrives. In any case should one unload you gun?
:bigear:
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Keith B wrote:And if you ever have an opportunity to attend one of Charles Cotton's Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Law Seminars, do it.
x's eleventy billion.

in fact, this should be #1 on your to do list...
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

rmoraes wrote: In any case should one unload your gun?
No. You may need it, if the BG's accomplices come out of hiding. (IMHO)

CompVest
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CompVest »

If you are in a safe position with no other threats I think as tactical reload would be appropriate.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”