Magazine release technique for small hands

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Magazine release technique for small hands

Post by seamusTX »

Just to review, the standard procedure for a right-handed shooter is to hold the pistol in the right hand and operate the magazine release with the thumb, catching the mag with the left hand. Most modern pistols make that fairly easy for a person with average or larger male hands.

If someone with small hands absolutely cannot get her thumb to the mag release while maintaining normal grip, what technique would you suggest?

The specific pistol in question is a Browning Buck Mark.
6-18-09guns 026.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Magazine release technique for small hands

Post by CompVest »

There are three ways to handle this. I have tried all three and say they all work very well so it is up to the shooter to decide what works for the individual shooter. I am writing this aimed at a right handed shooter. If you want a lefty perspective let me know.

I am starting my description when the gun is at slide lock or the shooter is ready to perform a retention or tactical reload.

1. Use the index finger of the off hand to slightly rotate the gun in the strong hand so the strong hand thumb can reach the mag release. (The index finger applies slight pressure to the outside of the trigger guard to help the gun rotate in the grip.) Reload with a full mag and readjust grip of strong hand back to the correction position. Advantage was that for me this technique was faster then technique #2.

2. Maintain grip of strong hand and use thumb of support hand to release the mag. The advantage is that the grip is not changed/compromised. This can be pretty fast as well.

3. My favorite and I believe the best is only possible if you have a gun that has an ambidextrous safety or one that can be changed to the right side of the gun. (Mag safeties are on the left side.) Switch the mag release to the right side and use your trigger or middle finger to release the mag. Advantages is that the grip is not compromised and it is fast! I use my middle finger as I can keep my trigger finger straight along the barrel while reloading. This techniqued has allowed me to take a full half second off every reload.

I hope this answer your question. If anything I wrote isn't clear drop me a PM.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

I was hoping you would reply. You've given me a lot to work with. Thanks.

- Jim

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

You are welcome. Let me know if you need anything more.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

Great techniques C.V. ! :tiphat: Thanks for posting.

I use method 1 because it seems the easiest for me. I've tried #2 but the mag release spring is to stiff to operate with my trigger finger, or middle finger for that matter.

I'll have to try #3 next week when I go shoot. (I'm left handed btw)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

I use my thumb for technique #2 as my thumb being right handed is on the same side as the mag release.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”