CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
.45mac.40
Posts in topic: 2

Texas sweat & humidity !?!

Post by .45mac.40 »

:tiphat:
Riding the Wing down to Cabela's last monday with my CW40.
I could feel tha' sweat running down my sides and remember feeling the damp holster with the CW40.
Didn't look at her for the next few days .... But when I did !
Found the slide stop (pin) corroded and the end of the barrel stained; kinda like gun powder ( a small black dried, run mark )
After afew choice words to my self, I got out the breakfree CLP and the cleaning kit.
Breakfree CLP, and brass brushes, wouldn't remove the stain !!!
Any reccommendations ?
Mac :fire .45 >>>>> %%%
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas sweat & humidity !?!

Post by C-dub »

Next time wear an undershirt. That's all I got. Sorry.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

Stainless steel isn't (stainless).

You might want to try silver polish. I use a product called Nevr-Dull for superficial corrosion. It is a bunch of cotton wads impregnated with a mildly abrasive cleaner. It comes in a cylindrical can.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Try Flitz and/or J. B. Paste. Believe it or not it is called stainless steel because it stains less than regular steel not because it is stain proof. Otherwise call it a "beauty mark."
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

Just consider it a new twist on the term, "holster burn".

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have had the same problem. Solutions:

1. Move some place where you don't sweat. (I haven't done this. yet.)

2. Wipe down the gun every day. (I do this most of the time.)

3. Get a holster that does not transmit sweat. Kydex is good. (this is what basically cured it for me, altho you still gotta clean it/wipe it down regularly).

4. Move to someplace where you don't sweat.
USAF 1982-2005

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Have the gun refinished in Black-T and never worry about it again.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

barres

Post by barres »

Mike1951 wrote:Have the gun refinished in Black-T and never worry about it again.
Not a bad idea, if it is still available. I have not heard if anyone is taking over for the late Walter Birdsong.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Topic author
.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

:tiphat:
Follow up on the stained barrel/muzzle tip, and the slide locking pin. ( Kahr CW40 / carried in a Galco Matrix 7 holster )
With everyones advise, I started looking thru the house for the Flitz, Nevr Dull, Brasso and even tha' Mag. wheel cleaner !
Like c-dud reccommended, I'm gonna' start wearing a T-shirt (under my Hawian shirt) help block the bare skin contact.
Being tha' good ole Soldier I use to remember ... MADE ME REACH FOR THE BRASSO !!!! "rlol"
Guys .... you were right on !!!
Cleaned her right up, just like a pretty new Diamond !
Again ... THANKS For being here !
:thewave
Mac :fire .40 >>>> ! :::: !
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

E10

Post by E10 »

.45mac.40 wrote:I'm gonna' start wearing a T-shirt (under my Hawian shirt) help block the bare skin contact.
I wear a color-coordinated 'A-shirt' (otherwise known as a 'wife-beater' if it's white - the shirt, that is, not the wearer) under my Hawaiians & guayaberas. Works great out here in the desert, and stylish, too. I can even open the outer shirt and maintain concealment if it isn't too windy.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Here on the sandbar, when the temperature is over 90, your clothes are going to be soaked from the skin out with any kind of outdoor physical exertion. The undershirt just slows down the process.

Howsomever, the undershirt keeps the outer shirt from clinging to your body and thus causing printing.

- Jim

dicion

Post by dicion »

seamusTX wrote:Here on the sandbar, when the temperature is over 90, your clothes are going to be soaked from the skin out with any kind of outdoor physical exertion. The undershirt just slows down the process.

Howsomever, the undershirt keeps the outer shirt from clinging to your body and thus causing printing.

- Jim
A cotton undershirt also wicks away sweat quicker, stays moist longer, and breathes better, keeping you cooler.

Before I moved down here, I never wore an undershirt. Didn't for the first summer I was down here either... That was a bad idea :smilelol5:
Tried it on the advice of a co-worker. It makes a WORLD of difference if you're out working in it all day long, even here in Humidity City.
I will forever wear fitted cotton undershirts from now on :thumbs2: They really do work extremely well.

Only downside is that I buy a pack of shirts from wal-mart about once every 2 months as I replace them "rlol"
but they're cheap and easily replaced

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

dicion wrote:Only downside is that I buy a pack of shirts from wal-mart about once every 2 months as I replace them ...
Ya know, ya can wash them. ;-)

Mine last several years before the fabric gives out.

- Jim

dicion

Post by dicion »

seamusTX wrote:
dicion wrote:Only downside is that I buy a pack of shirts from wal-mart about once every 2 months as I replace them ...
Ya know, ya can wash them. ;-)

Mine last several years before the fabric gives out.

- Jim
I'm generally a pretty sweaty guy. Between deodorant, what I do, and other things.. they generally last me 6-8 months until there's rips, burns (heat, welding, and electrical "rlol"), drill holes, sawzall cuts, oil or paint stains, etc in certain areas. I just prefer to get new ones. (The sawzall cut only happened once.. and The drill hole part only twice, and they were both just little nicks more then holes... but I had to mention them.)

Luckily our safety guy likes me :smilelol5: and all my accidents so far have been really minor. One of my coworkers managed to put my knife 1.5" into his arm one day when I lent it to him. That was messy. (I measured the depth on the blade after they took him to the hospital)

I go through my actual outer shirts just as much. Luckily the company supplies those, they've even stopped asking why I need new ones so often. The first few times, I had to bring my old ones in to show them :lol:

AEA

Post by AEA »

Finish of the gun aside.........here's one for you.......

Before I learned to wear a "Beater" T-Shirt and a outer oversized T, I carried a Kimber 3" for awhile with custom made real ivory grips!

I don't get outdoors much, but this one day I was outside and doing some heavy lifting for a couple of hours. It was muggy and I was hot and sweating.

When I got back inside and got ready to hit the shower. I pulled my pistol out and noticed that my nice white ivory grips were now BLUE! Turns out the maker used a blue ink on his stamp on the inside of the grips and that was not fast and bled thru the grips in the hot weather.....! :banghead:
When I took them off, the blue was all over the grip frame and even in the inside and on the mag!

I contacted him and even sent the grips back to see if he could do anything. He said he could not but would replace them at the same price I paid a year before (they had gone up since then). I thanked him for the offer and declined. I recommended to him to throw the blue stamp away and figure out another non ink way to mark his grips if he has to mark them.

His response was that he never had any problems from anyone else........DOH........ :shock:
This was after he received them back and was able to look at them! I told him to just throw them away, that they were no good to me.

Needless to say, I never bought anything from him again. :roll:
And I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of WBT's. :thumbs2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”