First Hammer Bob

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
doc540
Posts in topic: 1

First Hammer Bob

Post by doc540 »

You vets might chuckle and shake your heads, but you have to start somewhere, right?

I did as much homework as I could, visited with a couple of local gunsmiths, and put patience ahead of everything else.

I carry a Smith 36 in a SmartCarry holster which means snagging can become a serious issue impeding the ability to draw the gun. I realize a SmartCarry is a deep carry system and there will be no "quick" draw regardless.

But having the hammer snag inside my waistband is more of a possibility with this method of carry (my only current option for reasons I can't discuss here).

I chose to take one, careful step at a time, test my skills, and only remove a partial amount of the hammer spur. One can always proceed further and remove all the spur at a later date.

I masked off all areas which filings and dust might collect, carefully put the gun in my bench vise with it's nylon, no-mar, inserts and using a small file, marked a starting line on the hammer.

With a fresh cutting wheel in the Dremel,

I slowly began a cut across the hammer from side to side, stopping to inspect (with my flip-down magnifying glasses thanks to flyfishing for years) and let the metal cool.

After patiently cutting off the spur, I chucked up an aluminum oxide wheel
and carefully polished the cut surface until it was smooth and made a gradual transition from the back, uncut surface to the top, back edge of the hammer.

I still have enough surface to safely cock and de-cock the hammer, but until I go to the range this weekend I won't know if the weight removal affects the hammer strike. If it does (I've had trigger/action work done previously) I'll just have my local gunsmith adjust it accordingly.

Aesthetically, I'm really pleased with this first effort. And even more pleased I didn't really screw anything up!

Before:

After:
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

9mmGuy

Re: First Hammer Bob

Post by 9mmGuy »

that looks pretty good!! if you had posted the after pic only i would have thought it came like that...
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Fosforos

Post by Fosforos »

Very nicely done.

catwoman

Post by catwoman »

...I thought you were using a carpenter's tool to commit mayhem on a guy named Bob...sorry, it's been a looooong week...
Now that I got that out of the way, the "after" picture is really nice!! It's almost enough to make me want to get a revolver!

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

GREAT JOB......how did it affect the finish?
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

wacc

Post by wacc »

Good job. Has the finish held up ok?

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

What is a hammer?

/looks at his Glock.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Purplehood wrote:What is a hammer?

/looks at his Glock.
It's the thing on the back that lets one switch to A nice short single action with just a flick of the thumb.

Just kidding, but I've got this block about hammers hand guns and revolvers in particular just don't look right without a proper hammer. Can't explain why, cause its not rational.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think if I had to go with a revolver for concealed carry I would probably go with on of the hammerless models. If we had open carry and were to actually do that I would get my dad to loan me his .357 or .44 magnum.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”