CHL into banks......

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mill424
Posts in topic: 2

CHL into banks......

Post by mill424 »

I'm looking for the law stating wether or not you may carry into a bank in Texas. can someone please send me a link to clarify this. Thanks for the help.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Re: CHL into banks......

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

Laws generally do not state what you can do, only what you may not do. The places where weapons are prohibited are defined in Texas Penal Code Chapter 46.03 and 46.035. Banks are not on the list.

You can look up the statutes here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any bank can post a sign sign that prohibits carrying a concealed handgun in accordance with PC 30.06.

There are rumors that federal law prohibits carrying in banks. Those rumors are bogus.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

ralewis
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ralewis »

Look at the list of prohibited places.... Banks aren't on there, nor are they federal property (which has their own restrictions). They are private property and unless posted 30.06, there isn't anything that prohibits carry there.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

mill424 wrote:I'm looking for the law stating wether or not you may carry into a bank in Texas. can someone please send me a link to clarify this. Thanks for the help.
hi mill424, welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of information right here at your fingertips, and a great group of guys & gals to get to know. :tiphat:

There is no state law prohibiting a CHL holder to carry into a bank. There are statutes that do prohibit a holder from entering the premises: PC 411.204; PC 30.05; PC 30.06; PC 46.03, and PC 46.035.

Those statues can be looked up in the booklet Texas Concealed Handgun Laws and related statues found here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(this is the handbook given out in all CHL classes)

In order for a bank to prohibit a CHL from entering, it must be posted with a valid PC 30.06 sign which is very specific to language, size and location.

Hope that helps.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Arrggghhhh. Either Jim can type faster than I can, or I'm to long winded! :lol: :cheers2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
mill424

Post by mill424 »

Thank you for the help.....I was being battered on a news website when I posted that unless a 30.06 sign was posted in a bank you were legal to carry.........so hopeful those link will further educate my undereducated peers that read the news

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mill424 wrote:Thank you for the help.....I was being battered on a news website when I posted that unless a 30.06 sign was posted in a bank you were legal to carry.........so hopeful those link will further educate my undereducated peers that read the news
Welcome to the forum! :tiphat:

As a side note, there are some states that it is illegal to carry in a bank even with a CHL. Montana and North Carolina, just to name a couple.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TxSigp229

Post by TxSigp229 »

FWIW, in my town Chase bank does not have a 3006 but Community bank does
Those who use arms well cultivate the Way and keep the rules. Thus they can govern in such a way as to prevail over the corrupt
- Sun Tzu

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

buffalo_speedway_tx

Post by buffalo_speedway_tx »

I don't think I have ever seen a 30.06 posted at Chase. There are some Credit Unions in our area that have 30.06 posted.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Post by seamusTX »

buffalo_speedway_tx wrote:There are some Credit Unions in our area that have 30.06 posted.
Are there any that don't?

I was extremely displeased to see JSCFCU put them up.

- Jim

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

seamusTX wrote:
buffalo_speedway_tx wrote:There are some Credit Unions in our area that have 30.06 posted.
Are there any that don't?

I was extremely displeased to see JSCFCU put them up.

- Jim
:iagree:
Same here. We're not pleased. Can't do everything through the ATM, unfortunately.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

rosebud99

Post by rosebud99 »

wells fargo has no posting....but it still feels kinda weird to walk in..

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I think I've see one Wells Fargo facility somewhere that was posted, but it was a back-office and not a public retail branch.

When Wachovia came to Texas, the specifically removed the "gunbuster" from their typical signage, since Texas is a Concealed-Carry state....
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

rosebud99 wrote:wells fargo has no posting....but it still feels kinda weird to walk in..
I'm with you there. I've carried into Bank of America a couple of times now and it definitely feels weird. I guess its all the movies & TV shows working on my psyche.

Bart

Post by Bart »

If anything, large cash deposits or withdrawals are a good reason to carry, even in NY. It's concealed so it doesn't bother anybody else.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”