National Park Carry

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: National Park Carry

Post by Dragonfighter »

At least I'll finally be legal.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

texas1234
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texas1234 »

Jungle thanks to the moronic idiots on the Hill we cant carry legally until Feb. 22, I leave out of here in about 4 hours for an entire week of not being able to legally carry in a freaking National Park that is millions of acres that borders MEXICO for all that is good and HOLY. ONLY MORONIC IDIOTS IN WASHINGTON WOULD KEEP A FREE MAN FROM LEGALLY CARRYING. PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON ARE MORONS AND HAVE GOT TO BE THE STUPIDEST 535 PEOPLE ON THE PLANET. Dear God please fast forward us to 2012 so we can please vote Barry out of office, although he had nothing to do with not legally carrying in the National Parks and actually signed the bill that allows us to do so, please Dear Lord let 2012 come quickly so that we may send Barry back to Hawaii to surf and enjoy time with his precious little girls, his girls need more time with their daddy, the rest of us dont. Amen.
6th Generation Texan

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RPB »

Here's an interesting thing I stumbled upon browsing nps.gov.

Generally, can't carry in a Federal BUILDING.
Generally, can't carry in a SCHOOL.

But apparently there's a "school" (no longer used) but it's a "Federal Building" (along with the Texas White House and LBJ's boyhood home, and other "buildings")

at Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park. http://www.nps.gov/lyjo/planyourvisit/j ... school.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other National Parks with "buildings" exist, like four missions within San Antonio Missions National Historical Park.

I just found it interesting. Some "National Park" I ran across somewhere was nothing but a building.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

texas1234

Post by texas1234 »

Has anybody been to Big Bend Ranch State Park. I went to the national park last week and it was fantastic just curious if anyone has been to the Big Bend Ranch State Park.
6th Generation Texan

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I haven't been there since I was 2 years old which was ummmmm .... over half a century, well .... a long time ago.
--------------------------

Posting this for the convenience of those who may need it.

Guns, National Parks, Travel Trailers, Vehicles.

RE: (A) the National Park System; and (B) the National Wildlife Refuge System.

Text of Section 512, P.L. 111-24
SEC. 512. PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM VIOLENT CRIME.
http://www.nps.gov/hocu/parkmgmt/upload ... 5B1%5D.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.02
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From my understanding of the following two statements:
People who can legally possess firearms under federal and state law can now possess those firearms in the national parks in that state as of Feb 22, 2010.. Text here: http://www.nps.gov/hocu/parkmgmt/upload ... 5B1%5D.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As of 2007, if you can legally possess a handgun, it is legal to carry that handgun (loaded or unloaded) in your vehicle as long as the handgun remains concealed. And, you can possess it in your "premesis" which includes Travel Trailer etc, and you can carry it from Trailer to vehicle and conceal it in the vehicle. Texas Penal Code § 46.02 (a) below
.... It appears you could carry from your Towed Travel Trailer/motor home/"Premesis" to your vehicle and keep it/carry it in your vehicle concealed. I don't see that you may carry it BACK FROM your vehicle to the "Premesis" (house/trailer.) Just an odd observation I made.

I'm NOT a Lawyer, that's my layman's opinion... I could be wrong.

But, see for yourself....

Texas Penal Code § 46.02 (a) below http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texas Penal Code § 46.02

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

--------------

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if-- (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.
I'm no lawyer

texas1234

Post by texas1234 »

After camping in the back country of Big Bend last week I realized unless the coyotes or javenlinas are going to enforce the law it aint that big of a deal anyway. I cant speak for other national parks but Big Bend is freaking population sparse. Once you are out there you will understand what I mean it really doesnt matter because that is the closest to being on the frontier as you will ever get. I think at the time we were there it was only 150 people on 880,000 acres. I have never been that remote in my entire life. You could have waived your pistol in the air and screamed come get me and only God would have seen it.
6th Generation Texan

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

texas1234 wrote:After camping in the back country of Big Bend last week I realized unless the coyotes or javenlinas are going to enforce the law it aint that big of a deal anyway. I cant speak for other national parks but Big Bend is freaking population sparse. Once you are out there you will understand what I mean it really doesnt matter because that is the closest to being on the frontier as you will ever get. I think at the time we were there it was only 150 people on 880,000 acres. I have never been that remote in my entire life. You could have waived your pistol in the air and screamed come get me and only God would have seen it.
True. Quite a diverse "National Park System" from Big Bend, to LBJ Ranch,San Antonio Missions, to Federal Wildlife Prserves. Some are populated thinly and others crowded. Some unpopulated Forests, some crowded beaches, some you wouldn't even call a "park" just looking at them.

I know lots of happy camper coastal kayakers that can carry legally who camp on the beaches in tents and carry in a Life Vest pocket now..Padre Island National Seashore, managed by NPS, etc.

Happy Kayak Fishing with safer campng in tents on the beach now !!! Spring Break is just around the corner !!!
https://imrcms.nps.gov/pais/parkmgmt/la ... licies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thewave
I'm no lawyer

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

RPB wrote:[SNIP]

I know lots of happy camper coastal kayakers that can carry legally who camp on the beaches in tents and carry in a Life Vest pocket now..Padre Island National Seashore, managed by NPS, etc.

Happy Kayak Fishing with safer campng in tents on the beach now !!! Spring Break is just around the corner !!!
https://imrcms.nps.gov/pais/parkmgmt/la ... licies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do they carry Sig Mosquito's? ;-)

Seriously - what do folks carry on salt water?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

davidtx wrote:
RPB wrote:[SNIP]

Do they carry Sig Mosquito's? ;-)

Seriously - what do folks carry on salt water?
I sold almost all my guns last year that were blued, and bought some stainless. I carry either Stainless Steel pistols, or preferably/normally my Glock. I mostly fish the Highland Lakes, but intend to hit the coast this year to. Kayakers appreciate the value of Stainless, but Glocks hold up to salt just fine if you clean them before the end of the month. I'm getting Glock Maritime-Spring-Cups for my 26 soon, NOT for firing underwater (a task best left to experts with training and special equipment imho), but in case I drop it IN the water and need to fire it after retreiving it..... water/paddle drip etc does get inside of things in kayaks sometimes. :mrgreen: .
SALT article + photos
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?op ... view&id=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SALT video
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Bob Landry wrote:This was supposed to go into effect Feb 9, but I havn't seen anything about it, not that the drive-by media would mention it. Does anyone know if it went into effect or did Obummer and his thugs make it quietly go away?
Doesn’t look like the National Park Service at Padre Island got the message.

I have looked at a few NPS sites to see if they have changed the regulations. Yellowstone and Big Bend have changed the regulations to match the new law :thumbs2: but it seems the NPS at Padre Island is asleep at the wheel. :banghead:

The following can be found at their site.

http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/things2know.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Firearms
Loaded firearms are strictly prohibited. A Concealed Handgun License issued under the authority of the State of Texas, or another state, is not valid at the National Seashore.

Unloaded weapons may be possessed only when such weapons are rendered temporarily inoperable, or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use. :rules:

Someone please correct me if they are exempt from the new law.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

Not as far as I know.

The NPS has to update a few thousand web sites for individual parks. Who knows how long it will take?

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

VoiceofReason wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:This was supposed to go into effect Feb 9, but I havn't seen anything about it, not that the drive-by media would mention it. Does anyone know if it went into effect or did Obummer and his thugs make it quietly go away?
Doesn’t look like the National Park Service at Padre Island got the message.

I have looked at a few NPS sites to see if they have changed the regulations. Yellowstone and Big Bend have changed the regulations to match the new law :thumbs2: but it seems the NPS at Padre Island is asleep at the wheel. :banghead:

The following can be found at their site.

http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/things2know.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Firearms
Loaded firearms are strictly prohibited. A Concealed Handgun License issued under the authority of the State of Texas, or another state, is not valid at the National Seashore.

Unloaded weapons may be possessed only when such weapons are rendered temporarily inoperable, or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use. :rules:

Someone please correct me if they are exempt from the new law.

HERE is the NPS site for Padre Island National Seashore that HAS been updated. (But they have a lot of work to do updating the others)

Laws & Policies

New Firearms Law

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Please visit our state’s various websites for more information:

TX State Home Page http://www.texasonline.com/portal/tol/en/bus/homeTX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TX State Statutes http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TX [State] Concealed Weapons Information http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... edlaws.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TX State Reciprocity http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... rocity.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

To find out more about the park's rules and regulations, view the 2009 edition of the Superintendent's Compendium in PDF format. https://imrcms.nps.gov/pais/parkmgmt/up ... 202009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Worth reading ... Re: Loaded shotguns ... as in don't carry loaded rifles/shotguns etc. except when it complies with the Federal laws or they might consider you to be hunting on Federal lands.)

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if-- (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.
I'm no lawyer

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”