7000 Watt Black Max Generator At Sam's Club

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

7000 Watt Black Max Generator At Sam's Club

Post by Abraham »

Anyone of you own this generator?

They're available at Sam's Club for $999.00

I've exhausted my efforts in researching model DR10700DR. I can't find the specifications. It comes with a Honda engine, but the weight and decibel output at maximum engine output is not available.

It's not a Honda generator, but is powered by a Honda engine.

Sam's Club customer service couldn't tell me either...

I'm now considering other brands.

If you have experience regarding any generator in the 7000 watt range, I would be most appreciative about your positive or negative report.

Thanks!

shortysboy09
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 7000 Watt Black Max Generator At Sam's Club

Post by shortysboy09 »

CostCo has a Champion 6500 Watt for 599. Very good generator. I own one and it is the best one I have ever had. I also have a 4500 Briggs and Stratton that is a great generator. Haven't had any experiences with Black Max generators.
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gregthehand »

What are you wanting to do with this generator? You can buy surplus diesel generators from the government for extremely cheap with low hours. However they are very heavy. Like 900 lbs + heavy. So if your looking for an in place gen set they are great. However if you want something more portable than your better off with something lighter. Remember that a 7000 watt gas generator will overheat fast and chug gas if it's pumping out 7000 watts continuously. A diesel can run at full strength for days and not break a sweat. Also one of the gas ones usually last a few thousand hours and they are done. A diesel one should give you about 30,000 hours.

Forgot to add what I meant by cheap. I got my 5kw diesel gen set from the Army for $350. It has 8 hours on it and is in good shape.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Last edited by gregthehand on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

gregthehand wrote:What are you wanting to do with this generator? You can buy surplus diesel generators from the government for extremely cheap with low hours. However they are very heavy. Like 900 lbs + heavy. So if your looking for an in place gen set they are great. However if you want something more portable than your better off with something lighter. Remember that a 7000 watt gas generator will overheat fast and chug gas if it's pumping out 7000 watts continuously. A diesel can run at full strength for days and not break a sweat. Also one of the gas ones usually last a few thousand hours and they are done. A diesel one should give you about 30,000 hours.
How do you get Diesel Generators from the government? We are looking for something around the 15KW ballpark.

My setup:

Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

"How do you get Diesel Generators from the government?"

Excellent question. I'd like to know too...

I want a portable generator for backup power when the central (?) power goes out - as a result of a hurricane or other disaster.

However, first I want to use one to power an airless paint sprayer for an upcoming project at home.

Initially, I considered renting one, but I may as well apply that cost to owning one.

I am interested in buying one that has a low decibel output, but I also appreciate the fact that the "really quiet generators" cost in the thousands. I simply want the quietest generator available that cost in the hundreds...and doesn't weigh more than a Volkswagen. (my upcoming project requires me to move the generator over a lot of broken ground)

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

If your looking for a portable one that is quiet and lighter than a Volkswagen then the ones I'm talking about are not for you! All the ones they sale are large trailer or skid mounted gen sets.

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

gregthehand wrote:If your looking for a portable one that is quiet and lighter than a Volkswagen then the ones I'm talking about are not for you! All the ones they sale are large trailer or skid mounted gen sets.
Yea, we are already calling around trying to figure out what some of those generators weigh so we can have our shop build a trailer to set one on. They're not light at all.

My setup:

Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

shortysboy09 wrote:
gregthehand wrote:What are you wanting to do with this generator? You can buy surplus diesel generators from the government for extremely cheap with low hours. However they are very heavy. Like 900 lbs + heavy. So if your looking for an in place gen set they are great. However if you want something more portable than your better off with something lighter. Remember that a 7000 watt gas generator will overheat fast and chug gas if it's pumping out 7000 watts continuously. A diesel can run at full strength for days and not break a sweat. Also one of the gas ones usually last a few thousand hours and they are done. A diesel one should give you about 30,000 hours.
How do you get Diesel Generators from the government? We are looking for something around the 15KW ballpark.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Forgot to add what I meant by cheap. I got my 5kw diesel gen set from the Army for $350. It has 8 hours on it and is in good shape.
1.jpg
2.jpg
I have been trying to buy a 15 KW from a little fire department with no luck. Where did you find yours? I have looked at some govt auctions but they're usually linked to third party sellers. Help Please - I don't mind the weight factor. I have strong sons in law and a trailer Ha! I you want you can PM me. Thanks :txflag: :patriot:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Go look at http://www.govliquidation.com.

You need to remember though that they sell stuff as is where is. Pre-screening is encouraged. You can can just call and make an appointment to do so. You have to go pick it up and they do not ship. Also for gen units you have to fill out an EUC which they explain how to do. Finally don't buy a 400 hz unit as they are used for aircraft and remember that they are a 24 volt system so you can't jump start it off your car if the batteries go dead. They are always selling some here and there so just check the sight often and you can find one. Also they are on military bases so remember to not bring your firearm.

I have one currently and I'm always looking for more. Sometimes they are already mounted on trailers and you can just tow them away. I bought the M1009 CUCV that is in my avatar through GL as well as my gen set and a bunch of other stuff. They are usually pretty easy to deal with but do have strict auction rules. Anyone can create an account and if you can get a CHL your EUC will get approved however the first one takes longer.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I forgot to add your going to need more than strong guys to help you. With the lightest gen set they have weighing in at 950 + you'll need a forklift or a tractor with a front-end loader. They will load it on you there usually but call ahead and make sure that they have a forklift that will be available to load you at that time.

My CUCV is one of my bug out vehicles so I wanted a good one and got a good deal. They have unfortunately shot up recently though.

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

Very cool. Thanks for the link, Greg! :thumbs2:
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Phil

Post by Phil »

Abraham,
Are you sure you have the correct model number? Sams Club offers 2 models of 7000/8750 Black Max generators - Model BM10700 (electric start) for 999.00, and model BM10722 (electric start w/ recoil back-up for 1099.99. Both are top notch generators with excellent ratings. I have never heard of a "DR" series.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

If I were to buy a generator, I would get one that runs on natural gas.
NRA Endowment Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

WildBill wrote:If I were to buy a generator, I would get one that runs on natural gas.
They have those at Home Depot but the $7K price tag put me off quite a bit. I want a backup generator for the house but not $7k worth.

I have a propane genset on our RV. It is a 6.5K ONAN (Cummins). Unfortunately, it is not set up to deliver 240V to a 30amp plug like I want for the house. I've run this one 36 hours straight with no overheating issues but it will chew up 30+gallons of propane at just over half load in that time.

I want to put in a home transfer switch, put in a plug for the genset and change out the main panel while all of that is apart. If I had to have natural gas plumbing done to feed the NG generator where it would have to be to feed my electrical panel, it would cost $5K plus. So $5K for the changes and $7K for the generator -I'm not ready to sink $12K into the project yet.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Off-Topic”