Is there is anti-gun confiscation law in Texas?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Is there is anti-gun confiscation law in Texas?

Post by drjoker »

Is there a Texas law that forbids the confiscation of guns during a disaster/emergency?

During the Katrina debacle, New Orleans residents had their guns confiscated (and never returned) by the police. The police failed to maintain order and decided to confiscate guns in order to do so. This left law-abiding citizens defenseless against looters and rogue cops.

The liberal news media wants you to think that there were armed vigilantes shooting people for no reason:
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090105/thompson
Vinnie Pervel, the leader of the neighborhood watch was branded a vigilante.

However, this is what really happened:
http://www.bobtuley.com/gun_seizures.htm#wallmart
Vinnie Pervel selflessly turned off his neighbors' gas to prevent fires and he was personally violently assaulted and car jacked. Would a selfess guy like this commit murder? What were these "innocent" people who don't live in the neighborhood doing walking around in full view of signs everywhere that warned, "you loot we shoot"? Do you suppose they were lovers taking a romantic midnight stroll or murderous looters and rapists?

Cops did this:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/24/kat ... index.html
There are good cops and bad cops. They are just like regular folks. They are not any better at obeying the laws than the civilian population. Who polices the police?

Is there a Texas law that forbids the confiscation of guns during a disaster/emergency?
Thanks for answering my question!
:tiphat:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is there is anti-gun confiscation law in Texas?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Yes, Texas passed an emergency powers bill to prevent a New Orleans style confiscation. The feds. did likewise.

Chas.

Familyman1993

Post by Familyman1993 »

IIRC, I thought the Federal Legislation was actually an amendment to a Homeland Security funding bill that specifically stated that no Federal funds were to be used to confiscate firearms during an emergency (no Federal confiscation). I’m not sure if the language was meant for all future funds or just for that years funds. Anyone got any specifics on the Federal version? I’m concerned it may not have much teeth in the future, but I could be wrong.
"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, 1785 - Letter to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr
Ruger P97 -.45, Ruger P95 - 9mm, Remington 870 - 12GA
TX CHL, NRA, TSRA

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

drjoker wrote:Is there a Texas law that forbids the confiscation of guns during a disaster/emergency?

During the Katrina debacle, New Orleans residents had their guns confiscated (and never returned) by the police. The police failed to maintain order and decided to confiscate guns in order to do so. This left law-abiding citizens defenseless against looters and rogue cops.

The liberal news media wants you to think that there were armed vigilantes shooting people for no reason:
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090105/thompson
Vinnie Pervel, the leader of the neighborhood watch was branded a vigilante.

However, this is what really happened:
http://www.bobtuley.com/gun_seizures.htm#wallmart
Vinnie Pervel selflessly turned off his neighbors' gas to prevent fires and he was personally violently assaulted and car jacked. Would a selfess guy like this commit murder? What were these "innocent" people who don't live in the neighborhood doing walking around in full view of signs everywhere that warned, "you loot we shoot"? Do you suppose they were lovers taking a romantic midnight stroll or murderous looters and rapists?

Cops did this:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/24/kat ... index.html
There are good cops and bad cops. They are just like regular folks. They are not any better at obeying the laws than the civilian population. Who polices the police?

Thanks for answering my question!
:tiphat:
What about Algiers Point?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Yes, Texas passed an emergency powers bill to prevent a New Orleans style confiscation. The feds. did likewise.

Chas.
Cite, counselor? ;-)

Government Code Section 433 (State of Emergency):
Sec. 433.0045. FIREARMS. (a) A directive issued under this chapter may not authorize the seizure or confiscation of any firearm or ammunition from an individual who is lawfully carrying or possessing the firearm or ammunition.

(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful execution of the officer's official duties during a state of emergency may disarm an individual if the officer reasonably believes it is immediately necessary for the protection of the officer or another individual.

(c) The peace officer shall return a firearm and any ammunition to an individual disarmed under Subsection (b) before ceasing to detain the individual unless the officer:

(1) arrests the individual for engaging in criminal activity; or

(2) seizes the firearm as evidence in a criminal investigation.

Added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 18, Sec. 4, eff. April 27, 2007.

Topic author
drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

marksiwel wrote: What about Algiers Point?
I see we agree here. Gun control is inherently racist. People who lived in expensive restored historical homes (Algiers point) did not have their guns confiscated, but minorities and poor whites who lived in low income homes did have their guns confiscated. That's why I'm against gun control because I am against racism.

During the reconstruction in the South, there were gun control laws. However, these laws were only enforced against blacks and other minorities.

Also, in California, the "Saturday Night Special" gun control laws were meant to keep guns out of the hands of Asians.

P.S. Keith B: :iagree: (My brain is fried, can you think of a better term? It's unfair, maybe?)
Last edited by drjoker on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

drjoker wrote:
I see we agree here. Gun control is inherently racist. People who lived in expensive restored historical homes (Algiers point) did not have their guns confiscated, but minorities and poor whites who lived in low income homes did have their guns confiscated. That's why I'm against gun control because I am against racism.
Let's make sure you get your terms straight and call it what it is. This was not 'Racism', it was 'Favoritism or Discrimination'. Race had nothing to do with it. Rich or financially well off, or low income is NOT a race of people. I get very tired of the term being thrown around improperly and tried to be used as a catch all for discrimination or favoritism.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Munk

Post by Munk »

Keith B wrote:
drjoker wrote:
Let's make sure you get your terms straight and call it what it is. This was not 'Racism', it was 'Favoritism or Discrimination'. Race had nothing to do with it. Rich or financially well off, or low income is NOT a race of people. I get very tired of the term being thrown around improperly and tried to be used as a catch all for discrimination or favoritism.

Well said. :iagree:
III%

Alamais

Post by Alamais »

Keith B wrote:
drjoker wrote:
totally agree with you there. the race card gets played way too damn much.

yup, you know its sad that as a Mexican, i see white people becoming the minorities, too bad they will never get their breaks as the other existing minorities.

it really busts me up to see double standards that way.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Alamais wrote:totally agree with you there. the race card gets played way too darn much.

yup, you know its sad that as a Mexican, i see white people becoming the minorities, too bad they will never get their breaks as the other existing minorities.

it really busts me up to see double standards that way.
I appreciate the sentiment, but as a white person, I don't really want or expect any special breaks related to my racial/ethnic status. I just want equal opportunity, not equal outcome. I'm sure you agree with that, but I thought it needed saying.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I appreciate the sentiment, but as a white person, I don't really want or expect any special breaks related to my racial/ethnic status. I just want equal opportunity, not equal outcome. I'm sure you agree with that, but I thought it needed saying.
Would be especially nice if government agencies stopped discriminating in contracts, etc.

How can anyone take the government seriously when they say "racism is bad" while implementing and enforcing race-based policies? :headscratch
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

Alamais wrote:the race card gets played way too darn much.
Funny, should be appropriate: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Topic author
drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Check this out, POLICE looting in New Orleans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcajIRc ... re=related . If that guy who was questioning those two looting police officers wasn't a part of a possibly live news camera crew, they probably would've been shot. :eek6

More looting cops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Kc1sBntXI

Just to make sure you can't stop them from robbing you, the NOPD disarmed honest citizens who were NOT looting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4&NR=1 .

And if you "resisted" them by running away, well, then it's time for some target practice on unarmed men running away from you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKwcH3biFw .

P.S. I can understand cops who loot food from Wal Mart after a disaaster, BUT those cops were taking TENNIS SHOES. Besides, for God's sakes, if you have to loot as a cop, TAKE OFF YOUR UNIFORM. Looting in uniform is a disgrace to the uniform.

P.P.S. Tips for dealing with traffic stops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlX ... re=related

P.P.P.S. Buy an el cheapo $10 (or better) dashcam off ebay and have video rolling whenever you have to deal with cops. Cops are people like you and I. There are good people and bad people of every profession, just like there are both good and bad cops. HIdden cameras may save your hide some day and they cost very little these days.

HankB

Post by HankB »

I expect police going door-to-door without warrant or court order demanding Texans hand over anything would experience . . . difficulty.

Especially if they were out-of-town, or even out-of-state police engaging in rogue behavior as we've seen on post-Katrina videos out of NOLA.

A law explicitly preventing confiscation of firearms by police will protect police as much as the general citizenry.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”