Passing a school bus

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LarryH
Posts in topic: 14

Passing a school bus

Post by LarryH »

This morning I was stopped by a member of the Lakeview Police (between Seabrook and what used to be Clear Lake City) for passing a stopped school bus. Apparently the bus was on the opposite side of NASA Road 1, because I didn't even notice it (had just left a gas station after filling up).

When he walked up and greeted me, I told him that I was a CHL, but wasn't carrying (on my way to work at Johnson Space Center). He said, "I assumed so, because of your (PSC range) sticker."

After our business was completed, I mentioned that I was a member of this forum and that there were some locations where the LEOs seemed to be paranoid about CHLs. He told me that one of his fellow officers would disarm a CHL who was carrying during the stop, but that his attitude was basically "You don't show me yours and I won't show you mine." and "no handling, no accident".

Now all I have to do is determine whether I can use defensive driving for the offense.
Last edited by LarryH on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Positive, professional contact

Post by WildBill »

Larry - Sorry you got the ticket, but thanks for the feedback. I have a question about this law that maybe you or some one can answer. Do you have to stop on a divided road [one with a median strip]? I wonder because I have seen some people stop and others go past the flashing red lights.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

From http://www.whitney.k12.tx.us/documents/ ... fetyPR.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“Texas state law requires drivers to stop for school buses that are stopped and have activated their alternating red flashing lights. Drivers should not proceed until the school bus resumes motion; the driver is signaled by the bus driver to proceed, or the visual signal is no longer activated,” said Col. Stan Clark, interim director of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

If a road is divided only by a left-turning lane, drivers on both sides of the roadway must stop for school buses with alternating red flashing lights activated. However, if the lanes are separated by an intervening space or physical barrier, only motorists going in the same direction as the bus are required to stop. In neighborhoods, near schools, and at bus stops, drivers need to take special care because in most cases children cannot judge vehicle speed or distance.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Thanks Keith. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

WildBill wrote:Larry - Sorry you got the ticket, but thanks for the feedback. I have a question about this law that maybe you or some one can answer. Do you have to stop on a divided road [one with a median strip]? I wonder because I have seen some people stop and others go past the flashing red lights.
I have looked, and looked, and looked but can't find a specific statute regarding stopping for school buses when they have their lights flashing and the 'STOP SIGN' swung out. It's got to be there...I just can't find it.

WildBill, IMO it's the law that you must stop when the bus has its lights flashing and has the stop signs swung out. They are letting off kids and we all know how unobservant kids are and will dart anywhere they want to, and thus presents a danger.

Regardless if there is a median dividing the roadway, I always stop until the bus starts up again. To me it's the same as a school crossing guard who walks the kiddos across the street holding one of those handheld stop signs.

That's my take on it, and my $.02 worth. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Arrrggghhhh! Thanks KeithB! :tiphat:

I'll STILL stop. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LarryH - Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I found the law in the Transportation Code.
Sec. 545.066. PASSING A SCHOOL BUS; OFFENSE. (a) An operator on a highway, when approaching from either direction a school bus stopped on the highway to receive or discharge a student:

(1) shall stop before reaching the school bus when the bus is operating a visual signal as required by Section 547.701; and

(2) may not proceed until:

(A) the school bus resumes motion;

(B) the operator is signaled by the bus driver to proceed; or

(C) the visual signal is no longer actuated.

(b) An operator on a highway having separate roadways is not required to stop:

(1) for a school bus that is on a different roadway; or

(2) if on a controlled-access highway, for a school bus that is stopped:

(A) in a loading zone that is a part of or adjacent to the highway; and

(B) where pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway.
NRA Endowment Member

martywj

Post by martywj »

You may want to look into this very closely??
The fine for the passing the stopped school bus ticket is one of the most expensive. Used to be $1000, the only one more expensive was doing it in a construction zone(fines doubled).
Marty

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

martywj wrote:You may want to look into this very closely??
The fine for the passing the stopped school bus ticket is one of the most expensive. Used to be $1000, the only one more expensive was doing it in a construction zone(fines doubled).
Yikes! A couple years ago I got a ticket for going 30mph in a 20 mph school zone. I think it was $200.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
LarryH
Posts in topic: 14

Post by LarryH »

Ouch!! I certainly will. The fine print says that I can request defensive driving "on or before" the court date and only mentions speeding in excess of 25 over as being not eligible for DD. I'll call the court clerk's office this week to determine my options. Unlike some jurisdictions, Lakeview (which apparently includes El Lago and Taylor Lake Village) doesn't print typical fine amounts on their tickets.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Rex B »

You might ask ask about deferred adjudication (first).
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KD5NRH »

LarryH wrote:This morning I was stopped by a member of the Lakeview Police (between Seabrook and what used to be Clear Lake City) for passing a stopped school bus. Apparently the bus was on the opposite side of NASA Road 1, because I didn't even notice it (had just left a gas station after filling up).
As Keith pointed out, if it's on the other side of the divided roadway, that's not a valid ticket. Also, he may have seen you after you pulled out beyond the bus, and just inferred that you passed it. Your gas receipt might come in handy there. Either way, you need to get a copy of the officer's notes to find out where the bus was.

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

I heard on a news report on Friday, I believe, that the 2nd offence is a felony.
NRA Life Member

Rex B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Rex B »

budroux2w wrote:
I heard on a news report on Friday, I believe, that the 2nd offence is a felony.
Wow, that's pretty cold!
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Nevermind I'm a jerk
Last edited by marksiwel on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”