NRA Marketing Tactic

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 6

NRA Marketing Tactic

Post by wgoforth »

I was shocked that today I received an unsolicited package from NRA.... a DVD on home defense with a letter requesting $12.95 along with a mailer to return it if I did not want it. I was disappointed that the NRA would resort to this sort of thing. The DVD is probably good and could have been advertised for free on their e-mailings or magazine. I called and told them I would return this one, but to be advised I was keeping all future ones. She apologized and said that I could keep this one and no more would be sent to me.

I hope that should anyone also be appalled, that you call as well rather than just send it back. Otherwise, they may continue such.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA Marketing Tactic

Post by Mike1951 »

Well, since the last I received was a VHS tape, I assume they understood my message.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

I got that DVD as well and since it was only $12.95 decided to keep it thinking the next one in the series would cost the same. The next one came about 2 weeks later and lol and behold they wanted $27.95 for that one. I returned that one and will return all that continue to grace my mailbox. REFUSED: return to sender. Not paying $2.95 to return them again.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCannon »

While I think the tactic was novel on the NRA's part, loss-leader marketing isn't new at all.

The Rob Pincus videos are pretty well done, and Rob's instruction is consistent with the training I've received. I hardly consider myself an authority to say his training videos are the best, but I've seen MUCH worse over the years. If you don't want to buy them through the NRA, you can find them here http://www.icestore.us/servlet/the-DVDs/Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for about the same price as the "regular" cost through the NRA offering. I also believe he has a TV show on a cable channel.

For me, I was satisfied with the product and the price, and will continue in the program, but "opt-out" product sales are VERY bad business, and I would encourage anybody that gets these mailings to let the NRA know you don't appreciate this approach. Heck, even Colombia House didn't stoop this low!
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

you are under no obligation to return unsolicited merchandise..

Having said that - Im getting kinda tired of the daily or near daily emails I get from NRA trying to sell everything from life insurance to wine... ENOUGH. Cut the frequency back and keep it gun and 2nd amendment related

quidni

Post by quidni »

lkd wrote: I would encourage anybody that gets these mailings to let the NRA know you don't appreciate this approach. Heck, even Colombia House didn't stoop this low!
Where were you in the '70's? it's exactly what Colombia House did back then. I didn't get one of their monthly notices in time to notify them I did not want the next feature, and got billed for late fees, cancellation fees and "breach of contract" fees when I returned the product to them without opening or paying for it. Yeah, got free lawyer advice on campus, got a nice letter mailed from the nice attorney to CH telling them to cease and desist, and I canceled my membership as soon as they agreed I didn't owe anything. :waiting:
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Hos

Post by Hos »

Their marketing stinks to high heaven. It's misleading how their (monthly) insurance mailings say to act NOW on this or that Official-looking correspondence then read the fine print and see it's lame extra insurance.

I would not call their advertising ethical which could lead some to lose trust in what they should be focusing on, gun rights. I know gun rights takes a lot of money but playing us for suckers is not acceptable.
God, Goats, and Guns

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

quidni wrote:Where were you in the '70's? it's exactly what Colombia House did back then. I didn't get one of their monthly notices in time to notify them I did not want the next feature, and got billed for late fees, cancellation fees and "breach of contract" fees when I returned the product to them without opening or paying for it. Yeah, got free lawyer advice on campus, got a nice letter mailed from the nice attorney to CH telling them to cease and desist, and I canceled my membership as soon as they agreed I didn't owe anything. :waiting:
I was one of those kids too, but I didn't have free lawyer advice and had to shell out something like $50 to get them off my back. It was a hard lesson. However, if I remember, you had to first tell CH that you wanted something like "9 records or tapes for $0.50 (plus shipping and handling)" before their whole hateful dance began. With the NRA thing, they just simply started sending you something. I don't recall CH doing that.

Then again, it, uh, was a few years ago, and I may have forgotten a few things since then :???:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

How much did the Heller and McDonald cases cost the NRA? How about the 62 other cases that were on the NRA General Counsel's report I reviewed this week in Charlotte? And how many gun owners benefit from the NRA and never bother to join, much less donate a dime to the effort?

If you don't want to receive any solicitations or offers, then just call HQ and tell them and your name will be taken off the list. But how about not trying to undermine programs that are necessary for the continued success of the NRA -- at least not on my forum .

Chas.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by pbwalker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:How much did the Heller and McDonald cases cost the NRA? How about the 62 other cases that were on the NRA General Counsel's report I reviewed this week in Charlotte?
How much money would they save if they stopped sending out SO MUCH junkmail? How much did it cost for them to print all of those DVD's that end up in the trash?

/devils advocate...
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

pbwalker wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:How much did the Heller and McDonald cases cost the NRA? How about the 62 other cases that were on the NRA General Counsel's report I reviewed this week in Charlotte?
How much money would they save if they stopped sending out SO MUCH junkmail? How much did it cost for them to print all of those DVD's that end up in the trash?

/devils advocate...
The NRA makes money on what you call "junkmail." Do you have any idea if the NRA makes money on the DVD's or loses money? You don't know but you just assume we lose money.

Chas.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pbwalker wrote:

/devils advocate...
The NRA makes money on what you call "junkmail." Do you have any idea if the NRA makes money on the DVD's or loses money? You don't know but you just assume we lose money.

Chas.
No, I have no idea because on the few occasions I've requested information on how the NRA spends my money, I get *zero* response. So I can only deduce that, based on the amount of mailings, offers for life insurance, gun giveaway contests, and gifts they give for donations, that there is a certain amount of money that could be better spent. If the NRA could show me how my money (used for mailings) makes them money, I'd love to see it...

The only place I can get information is http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary ... 82&cycle=A

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

pbwalker is right: I'm also a long-time NRA member, but they are notoriously tight-lipped about financial matters. Ordinary Joe Member trying to find out how his dues and contributions are spent will run face-first into a brick wall. There are so many divisions, organizations, and separate efforts, that I'm surprised the NRA's own accountants can keep up with it all.

I opted out of solicitation mailings, but I still receive the occasional propaganda mail that is nothing more than fund-raising thinly disguised as political action information or "polls". I'm just as likely to send a check in response to such mailings, as I am to Sally Struthers crying about starving children, or a TV preacher crying about the state of my soul.

I agree that the JPFO letter was harsh. And you know what? Sometimes we need some harsh truth to keep up focused!

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by wgoforth »

Got a call from NRA Life Members line today apologizing for the mailing. If I understood her correctly, it appears that NRA hired a marketing company and had not authorized this. She said they need to call and straighten this out. I am sure it is a good product and may have purchased had it been advertised, I just hate to see NRA doing something beneath the dignity of such an organization. I know some here have mentioned "NRA bashing" but I do not see this as bashing at all. Unless we talk with them, they cannot know what is on our minds. As a life member, I know our calls mean something, as we get to vote on board members. If we find that current board members voted to do this sort of thing, then we have the option of not voting for them. I fail to see this as bashing, but as doing our jobs as members.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

chabouk wrote:pbwalker is right: I'm also a long-time NRA member, but they are notoriously tight-lipped about financial matters. Ordinary Joe Member trying to find out how his dues and contributions are spent will run face-first into a brick wall. There are so many divisions, organizations, and separate efforts, that I'm surprised the NRA's own accountants can keep up with it all.

I opted out of solicitation mailings, but I still receive the occasional propaganda mail that is nothing more than fund-raising thinly disguised as political action information or "polls". I'm just as likely to send a check in response to such mailings, as I am to Sally Struthers crying about starving children, or a TV preacher crying about the state of my soul.

I agree that the JPFO letter was harsh. And you know what? Sometimes we need some harsh truth to keep up focused!
Great reply chabouk!

I have no idea why the NRA is so secretive about their finances. I guess it's their right, and my right to choose not to renew my membership. But I likely will not cancel, just throw away the daily mailings. :lol:

The biggest turn off for me is the "If you don't like the NRA, don't join..." and the general feeling that we shouldn't question them (the NRA). It's as if NRA members are taking it personally.

On par with what you said, lighting a little fire shouldn't be so frowned upon. Sadly, it is seen as bashing.

Return to “National Rifle Association”