The NRA that I am a member of

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

kyreb
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The NRA that I am a member of

Post by kyreb »

Excellent post. Thank you.
I upgraded to Endowment Life this past year as one small way to respond to the Obamanation. I support the Second Amendment Task Force as often as the budget permits.
I signed wife up as an annual member last year. Paid off son's life membership during the Clinton years.

I cannot believe the bashing the NRA receives over petty stuff on all the gun boards. " They send too much junk mail" or "They did not send me my free hat when I signed up".
Cheese and crackers people! Wake the heck up. The NRA is the best hope we have to preserve the 2A. It amazes me what a low percentage of gun owners belong to or support our NRA.

Thanks again for this post. Rick
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Longtooth, I agree with 100% of what you have said. Certainly I agree that NRA is a wonderful organization and great friend of the 2cnd Am. That's why my wife and I became life members. What I do not understand is why when we question a practice some of us are jumped (by list members, not by the NRA) on as supposedly bashing the NRA. My original post was not any desire to bash the NRA but to make others aware of a marketing tactic of sending out an unsolicited video with a note of either pay for it or send it back and asking others to call them if they have a problem with that rather than just sending it back. (I don't even mind the insurance and credit card offers, but to send a product seemed beneath the dignity of an organization like the NRA) As Life members, I assumed they value our feedback, since we get to vote for board members. NO organization is immune from straying from it's original objectives, INCLUDING churches. The SURE way to make sure it WILL stray is to take an attitude that it cannot be questioned. My desire was to nip in the bud that particular practice of sending things out. I was able to have a very civil conversation with the lady at the Life member phone line, yet when I posted on here it was viewed as bashing. BTW, I never got the impression from the NRA that questioning or complaining about this practice was bashing, but from members bent on upholding them in this.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Awesome! On the money LT
OUR NRA :txflag:
CHL 2002
NRA life member
TSRA Endowment member
TWA member

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

longtooth wrote:My NRA does not send me any junk mail.
Lucky you. I get spam for insurance and Life Lock and NRA wines (I guess guns and alcohol DO mix!)

I'm still a member but I won't send additional donations because of the spam.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

dtalley

Post by dtalley »

Excellent post Longtooth. That is my NRA also.

I look at the Wine deals, Credit Card offers, Life Lock and Life insurance stuff as their way of getting me info on discounts afforded to me as a member of the NRA. If I choose not to participate in such program I simply toss it. I am not so busy in Life that I can not take a minute to clean out my mailbox of the other hundreds of peices of mail that I do not want each month.

Thumbs up Longtooth and I wish I was close enough to belong to your Gun Club.
NRA Life
TSRA
TX CHL

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by UpTheIrons »

tacticool wrote:
longtooth wrote:My NRA does not send me any junk mail.
Lucky you. I get spam for insurance and Life Lock and NRA wines (I guess guns and alcohol DO mix!)

I'm still a member but I won't send additional donations because of the spam.
How many times do you need to be reminded? Just a few posts ago, Keith B said:
Keith B wrote:You can either call or go online and opt out of mailings and other solicitations
In fact, I think I will do that right now - can't be that hard, can it?
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by UpTheIrons »

OK, it is done.

I went to the NRA site (http://home.nra.org/classic.aspx), clicked Membership Services and looked at the membership FAQ and found this:

So I called the 800 number, pressed 2, and waited about 10 seconds until Andrew answered my call. Gave him my member number, and he said it would be about 2 weeks before all the call centers know that I don't want to be contacted, and 4-6 weeks for the mailings to stop.

Then I tried to "unsub" from the "Special Offers" email list.

At the bottom of my latest Prescription Saving Card Offer, I found this small print:

So, I clicked where it said "click here" and got this window:

Didn't seem to be so difficult. Took me less than 5 minutes to do it all.

By the Way, thanks for the great post, LT.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Return to “National Rifle Association”