NRA's phone solicitors

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

NRA's phone solicitors

Post by Mike1951 »

I received a phone solicitation today from one of the NRA's outsourced fund raisers regarding the UN treaty. Since I just searched the NRA sites yesterday regarding the status of the proposed treaty, I tried to counter some of his talking points. He stated that the Clinton administration has considered treaties as law and the Obama administration could be expected to do the same. Furthermore, he stated that they had figured out how to avoid ratification by the Senate. Nothing but fear mongering and not in the NRA's best interest.

As of today, there have been no NRA alerts sent out about the treaty. And yesterday, the only article posted was from November 2009.

However, in an effort to quell the rumors, NRA, today, published an update. Apparently, they are not aware that their fund raising contractors are responsible for spreading the fear and misinformation.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the UN Arms Trade Treaty

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Contrary to a widely circulated e-mail, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has not signed any UN small arms treaty. She could not have done so, in fact, because no such treaty has yet been negotiated.

As we noted in the item below from last November, the UN Arms Trade Treaty will be drafted between now and 2012, and even if signed would not take effect in the U.S. until it was ratified by the Senate.

Please rest assured that, as we said in November, NRA will be actively involved in this process and will oppose any treaty that would attempt to impose limits on our Second Amendment rights. In the meantime, we urge gun owners to follow this issue in NRA's magazines and NRA-ILA's Grassroots Alerts. We also urge gun owners not to circulate misinformation on this issue.

----------------------

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Over the last few weeks, we have received many inquiries regarding the UN and the impact of international treaties on our Second Amendment freedom.

The NRA has been engaged at the United Nations and elsewhere internationally in response to anti-small arms initiatives for over 14 years. In most cases, agendas for the elimination of private ownership of firearms are disguised as calls for international arms control to stem the flow of illicit military weapons. These instruments are generally promoted by a small group of nations and a large number of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) working in conjunction with departmental bureaucracies in multi-national institutions such as the UN and European Union.

The new U.S. administration, to no one’s surprise, has changed direction in the UN with respect to international small arms control initiatives that were resisted by the previous administration.

The current issue under discussion, the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), is in the early stages of the negotiation process. There is no actual draft text at this time. Work on the ATT is scheduled to continue by a consensus process between now and 2012. It should be noted that any treaty must be approved by two thirds of the U.S. Senate for ratification.

Attempts to thwart our freedoms should be no surprise, given the anti-gun climate of the international community in general, and the current U.S. administration in particular.

More generally, the NRA does not concern itself with foreign policy or arms control initiatives—except to the extent they would directly or indirectly affect Second Amendment rights.

We have been actively opposing transnational efforts that would limit Second Amendment freedoms. For many years, NRA has been monitoring and actively fighting any credible attempts on the part of the UN to restrict our sovereignty and gun rights. As a recognized Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) at the United Nations since 1997, NRA gives gun owners a strong voice in the UN’s debate over global “gun control.” As one of over 2,000 NGOs representing everyone from religious groups to the banking industry, NRA has access to UN meetings that are closed to the general public, and is able to distribute informational materials to participants in UN activities.

Most importantly, NRA’s status as an NGO allows us to monitor more closely the internal UN debate over firearm issues and report back to our members. The role NRA plays within the UN as an NGO is almost identical to the role our registered lobbyists play every day on Capitol Hill and in state capitals across the nation—educating and informing decision-makers of the facts behind the debate, and working to protect the interests of American gun owners and NRA members.

Due to our NGO status, NRA was able to take an active role in thwarting the absurdly titled “UN Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Programme of Action to Prevent and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects” in 2006, and the previous meeting, the “UN Conference on the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons” in the summer of 2001.

The UN Small Arms Conference ended in deadlock with no formal conclusions or recommendations, due in large part to the NRA. In the final analysis, the complexity of the issue and the concerns of hunters, sport shooters and firearm owners world-wide prevailed. The failure of the program was total; no recommendations on ammunition, civilian possession or future UN meetings, or for that matter any other subjects, were adopted.

In addition to its UN activities, NRA is a founding member of the World Forum on the Future of Sport Shooting Activities (WFSA). The WFSA is an association of hunting, shooting, and industry organizations that was founded in 1996. The WFSA includes over 35 national and international organizations, and represents over 100 million sport shooters worldwide.

NRA members may rest assured that we are actively engaged in international matters. We have never hesitated, nor will we hesitate, to use the political and other resources available to us to resist any international agreement that could in any way affect our Second Amendment rights.
I'm afraid I did not hear the recorded presentation that was to follow. I told the solicitor that I would listen, but at the first mention of a donation, I was hanging up without another word. At that point, he hung up.

I try to donate whenever I can if the issue is real. But I'm through with phone solicitors.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Napier

Re: NRA's phone solicitors

Post by Napier »

I stopped those NRA huckster nuisances from calling by telling them I just lost my job and was flat broke from hospital costs due to terminal emphysema: "Could the NRA maybe make me a loan? I'm good for it."

Topic author
Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Napier wrote:I stopped those NRA huckster nuisances from calling by telling them I just lost my job and was flat broke from hospital costs due to terminal emphysema: "Could the NRA maybe make me a loan? I'm good for it."
I tried to tell him that I haven't worked for five years.

Anyway, I sent a copy of my post to membership@nrahq.org. I wanted to make them aware, if they care, about the lies being spread on their behalf.

I explained that I wanted to continue receiving emails and mail offers, but wanted my phone number deleted from the contract fund raisers.

Said it would take 7-10 days.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Napier

Post by Napier »

The line they used with me was something like "Did you know the black helicopters are coming with blue-helmeted UN troops to take your weapons with ObaMao's blessing?" I told them they were behind on the news, that "Ah jist shot 'un down was a passin' over ma back yard and a settin' tha dawgs ta barkin'. Allum blue hemmits was a wearin' frilly pink undies! Not sa tuff as tha made out ta be!" It was a short conversation. Out-crazy them and they go away.

Return to “National Rifle Association”