A short memo to critics of the NRA

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

A short memo to critics of the NRA

Post by seamusTX »

hoof.jpg
Start your own 4-million-member organization or deal with reality.

Respectfully,

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 5

Re: A short memo to critics of the NRA

Post by pbwalker »

yeah...that will garner new members... :roll:

why the aversion to any critical thoughts / questions towards the NRA?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I'm not on the recruitment committee, and everybody has had years to come up with their rationalizations and excuses for keeping their checkbook closed.

It's not an aversion to critical thoughts. I have plenty of disagreements with the NRA.

My hot point is when people complain that the NRA is not sufficiently politically correct, or even start attributing secret nefarious motives to the NRA leadership.

Politics is an ugly business. Sometimes winning ugly is the only way to win.

- Jim

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 5

Post by pbwalker »

seamusTX wrote:My hot point is when people complain that the NRA is not sufficiently politically correct, or even start attributing secret nefarious motives to the NRA leadership.
Ahhh ok...I thought you meant any critical comments, my apologies.

:tiphat:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

There's no need to apologize. I made an intentionally rude comment.

I'm getting tired of circular firing squads and foot perforations when there are plenty of more strategic targets.

- Jim

TexDotCom
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexDotCom »

seamusTX wrote:Politics is an ugly business. Sometimes winning ugly is the only way to win.
Well said, Sir. :tiphat: :cheers2:

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Thank you.

Our enemies never give us a break. We don't need to help them.

- Jim

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:Thank you.

Our enemies never give us a break. We don't need to help them.

- Jim
Good job, Jim. :tiphat:

The NRA is an ally and a friend to all that hold our RKBA sacred. It may not be a perfect ally or a perfect friend but it is the best ally and the best friend we have.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

With all due respect, I think the biggest problem is that many people feel that their voices are not being heard. Nine times out of ten, when the NRA takes the time to explain their position, people will nod their heads in understanding. It's the other times that really get people riled up.

Look, the NRA (and let's be more specific, the NRA-ILA) often feels like a disconnected arm from the layity of NRA membership. Doesn't mean their wrong, just that the perceived moral distance can't be closed easily. I think there's much better work the NRA can do to help people feel that they are operating in a _representative_ way, rather than unilateral way.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

On every issue, the NRA-ILA (we'll call it the NRA) can take exactly one public position. Is that clear? I don't mean to be condescending. The NRA can only advise legislators to vote for or against a bill, or an executive to sign or veto a bill.

The NRA's positions in Washington, D.C., and most state capitals have proven remarkably effective. We have no new federal "gun control" laws since (what?) 1994. The federal "assault weapons" ban is dead and buried. A congressional majority and administration that were anticipated to be hostile to the RKBA have been paralyzed in that regard. Legal carry in national parks is the law over the signature of Pres. Obama.

We have more shall-issue concealed-carry states, more places to carry, and more reciprocity. We have ironclad "castle doctrine" in more states. We have federal and state prohibitions on seizure of firearms in emergencies.

The NRA is not going to reflect the views of 4 million members precisely. The NRA's explanations of its actions are not going to satisfy 4 million members. Those are simply facts of life. I don't know of any organization or even family where everyone agrees about everything.

I'll say it again: I don't agree with NRA about everything. But I realize that it's the biggest and most effective RKBA organization, and I will continue to support it publicly and criticize it privately.

Cf. Ronald Reagan 11th commandment.

- Jim

KFP

Post by KFP »

Excellent summary above Jim!
Life Member NRA & TSRA

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

seamusTX wrote:The NRA is not going to reflect the views of 4 million members precisely. The NRA's explanations of its actions are not going to satisfy 4 million members. Those are simply facts of life. I don't know of any organization or even family where everyone agrees about everything.

I'll say it again: I don't agree with NRA about everything. But I realize that it's the biggest and most effective RKBA organization, and I will continue to support it publicly and criticize it privately.
We definitely agree on this, Jim. It's just my opinion that the NRA needs to do a better job of showing that they're _listening_ instead of _telling_. But as you also point out, 4 million people represents a LOT of diverse voices.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

KFP wrote:Excellent summary above Jim!
:iagree: Thanks!! :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Bart

Post by Bart »

As a long time NRA member, I think the picture shows the wrong end of the horse.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

seamusTX wrote:The NRA is not going to reflect the views of 4 million members precisely. The NRA's explanations of its actions are not going to satisfy 4 million members. Those are simply facts of life. I don't know of any organization or even family where everyone agrees about everything.

Jim, I don't think I have ever seen this sentiment (which I fully agree with) put better.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “National Rifle Association”