Anyone using Lee Liqiud Alox Bullet Lube? / Update

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Anyone using Lee Liqiud Alox Bullet Lube?

Post by KD5NRH »

DubiousDan wrote:I'm going to start casting again and have a Lyman Sizer/Lubricator but I've thought about the Lee Liquid Alox lube to save some trouble and mess.
You won't be saving any mess, and the stuff reeks, but it works.
What is the basic method of using the Alox lube and any tips on using it.
I generally run the bullets through the Lee sizer with a bit of WD40 or similar to keep from leading up the sizer, then drop them in a Ziploc with a squirt of Liquid Alox. Seal the bag and roll it all around for a bit, then lay the bullets out on wax paper overnight in the shed or garage. Wash your hands well with dish detergent afterward to get the gunk off.
What bullet styles do you find that work well or don't work well?
Any of the Lee molds with the "TL" designator should work best, but I use it on a few non-TL types with no problems.
I'll be casting .357 and .45 (for ACP and Colt) and hope to add 9mm.
Just get a .356 sizer and a 125gr .357 mold. Size in stages; size everything from that mold to .358, then the ones you want for 9mm down to .356. You may lose some of the texturing of a TL-style bullet in the second sizing, but it still works fine with the Liquid Alox.

Skooter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skooter »

I Alox my 9mm cast bullets twice. The 1st coat is very light then I run them through the resizer, then apply a 2nd heavier coat. I spread them out on wax paper and let them dry overnight with a fan blowing across them. I have zero leading problems.

Skooter
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

DubiousDan wrote:Do you need to do anything in regards to removing the WD40?
I washed some, and left others alone. In .38Spl and 9mm I can't tell any difference in the results.
DubiousDan wrote:When you put them on the wax paper do you need to stand them on their bases or does that matter? I'm guessing that you don't want any of them touching each other,
I started out doing that, but it takes forever when you've got 2-300 at a time. It seems to work fine either way as long as they're spread out.

Cap'n

Re: Anyone using Lee Liqiud Alox Bullet Lube? / Update

Post by Cap'n »

Good on ya.

Keep the updates coming. I've been looking at my 20-yr old casting gear and wondering about getting back into it. Got spoiled with Oregon LaserCast and Berry's plated bullets but since prices have doubled-tripled Ive had second thoughts.

Wife still gives me heck if I pick up a wheel weight in a parking lot, but you never know. :lol:

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

DubiousDan wrote:unfortunately they smoked and stunk as much as any other cast bullet with regular lube.
Yep, it's pretty stinky stuff.
The surprise came when I got home and started cleaning the revolver.
For a more pleasant surprise, let it cool off for a few minutes and run a single JSP through; it will carry out any waxy residue, which takes a lot of the carbon fouling out as well. I usually keep a few Magtech or Independence JSPs loose in a side pocket of the range bag just for that.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

DubiousDan wrote:
KD5NRH wrote: For a more pleasant surprise, let it cool off for a few minutes and run a single JSP through; it will carry out any waxy residue, which takes a lot of the carbon fouling out as well. I usually keep a few Magtech or Independence JSPs loose in a side pocket of the range bag just for that.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try it. I did notice some residue on the spent casings (not as much as with traditional lube) any tips for getting that off or do you just tumble them.
Rubbing alcohol on a rag usually gets bullet lube off nice and easy.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “Reloading Forum”