Is the NRA as "pushy" as they once where?

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chuck K.
Posts in topic: 2

Is the NRA as "pushy" as they once where?

Post by Chuck K. »

I am seriously reconsidering rejoining the NRA. I was a member for many, many years until they sent me a hunters safety video tape which I did not request. I thought it was free to all members until I started getting ugly notices about non payment of this video.. I complained to the NRA only to be told if I did not want it send it back??? :headscratch This along with the seemingly endless barage of mail wanting more money etc. etc. I have not rejoined in the last ~10 years.

Now is it possible to become a member with out being hammered with mail on a regular basis and bull scams like the video tape I would like to renew my membership..

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chuck.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is the NRA as "pushy" as they once where?

Post by Purplehood »

Chuck K. wrote:I am seriously reconsidering rejoining the NRA. I was a member for many, many years until they sent me a hunters safety video tape which I did not request. I thought it was free to all members until I started getting ugly notices about non payment of this video.. I complained to the NRA only to be told if I did not want it send it back??? :headscratch This along with the seemingly endless barage of mail wanting more money etc. etc. I have not rejoined in the last ~10 years.

Now is it possible to become a member with out being hammered with mail on a regular basis and bull scams like the video tape I would like to renew my membership..

Chuck.
I told them not to send me anything other than my magazine and bills, and they have complied.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

It's easy enough.
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Chuck K,

There have been several recent threads about this and it's a bit of a beaten horse. The NRA can't please everyone (I was in the same boat you were until I called them). It's easy to unsubscribe from mailings...so give them a call, cancel the mailings, and re-up your membership!

Welcome to the forum.

-bw
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
Chuck K.

Post by Chuck K. »

Thanks for that replies and the welcome.. I supposed I should have searched this topic first...
The mailing was one thing, the video really burned me up.. Did any one else have similair issues with non requested items such as the video being sent to them?

Based on what I have read here on the forum I do intend on renewing.

Chuck.
Last edited by Chuck K. on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Chuck K. wrote:Thanks for that replies and the welcome.. I supposed I should have searched this topic first...
The mailing was one thing, the video really burned me up.. Did any one else have similair issues with non requested items such as the video being sent to them?

Based on what I have read here on the forum I do intended on renewing.

Chuck.
I did...they send me a DVD once...I just put it back in the mail.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

pbwalker wrote:
Chuck K. wrote:Thanks for that replies and the welcome.. I supposed I should have searched this topic first...

Based on what I have read here on the forum I do intended on renewing.

Chuck.
I did...they send me a DVD once...I just put it back in the mail.
Same here - earlier this year they sent out some shooter training DVD's. It was yours to keep whether or not you decided to sign up for the series or you could send it back in a pre-addressed / pre-paid envelope.
CHL since 01/26/09

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I just got a call from "My NRA" today where the person asked me 'What would you say if I told you the UN wanted to take your guns away?"

I responded that it is Constitutionally impossible for that to happen. And asked to be removed from their call list.

Why are they trying to stir people up on things like this? Aren't there better things to be paying attention to?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

PBratton wrote:I just got a call from "My NRA" today where the person asked me 'What would you say if I told you the UN wanted to take your guns away?"

I responded that it is Constitutionally impossible for that to happen. And asked to be removed from their call list.

Why are they trying to stir people up on things like this? Aren't there better things to be paying attention to?
It's especially annoying when their hired solicitors used something as scare tactics when NRA's site is downplaying the current threat for the same thing.

As a result, I asked to be removed only from their calling list. I don't object to receiving the mail. It's too easy to throw away.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The NRA is not perfect but it is our most vocal and respected voice on the subject of the Second Amendment.

Just like your church, the NRA needs offerings to keep up the fight against evil. Our dues, plus whatever else we contribute, is what keeps the NRA in the forefront in our never ending fight against those who would deny us our 2A RKBA.

Yes, you should re-up and as others have said, tell them no mailing list and no phone calls. :patriot:

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I occasionally get the junk mail, but I file it with all the other junk mail. I have never received a call from them. I will put up with the stuff since they do perform a necessary function and do help the gun owners. Heck, it's worth it to me for the free firearms insurance. Like others have said, it's not ideal for everyone so they cannot please all. If you call them it should help to reduce the unwanted junk. :thumbs2:

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

mrvmax wrote:I occasionally get the junk mail, but I file it with all the other junk mail. I have never received a call from them. I will put up with the stuff since they do perform a necessary function and do help the gun owners. Heck, it's worth it to me for the free firearms insurance. Like others have said, it's not ideal for everyone so they cannot please all. If you call them it should help to reduce the unwanted junk. BTW, I'm an NRA recruiter and if anyone needs to join or renew I have a link on my web page. :thumbs2:
Nice site...I'll keep you in mind for future purchases and transfers. My Father in law lives in Pearland and he always likes to see what I add to the protection and personal well being of his beautiful daughter.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Mike1951 wrote:It's easy enough.
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.
I clicked the email link above, and in 10 minutes I had a reply removing me from the promote list. Just provide your full name and address in you email.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

They have not been pushy with me at all. Only thing I have gotten in the mail is my membership card and a free hat...and the magazine I picked, of course.
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Chuck K. wrote:I am seriously reconsidering rejoining the NRA. I was a member for many, many years until they sent me a hunters safety video tape which I did not request. I thought it was free to all members until I started getting ugly notices about non payment of this video.. I complained to the NRA only to be told if I did not want it send it back??? :headscratch This along with the seemingly endless barage of mail wanting more money etc. etc. I have not rejoined in the last ~10 years.

Chuck.
IANAL, but as I understand the mail laws, if they send you any unrequested item (and presuming you didn't sign up for a subscription service), you are legally allowed to keep it and not pay for it. Although if they provided a postage paid return envelope I would return it, you are not required to. For my take on it: personally I wouldn't get steamed about it.

For the most part, I appreciate what NRA does to protect our 2A rights.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Return to “National Rifle Association”