Hand Gun in Car on College Campus

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
teds787
Posts in topic: 1

Hand Gun in Car on College Campus

Post by teds787 »

I'd just like to get some clarification on the no carry in schools thing :confused5 ...

I live in Austin and I regularly go down to the UT campus to use college gymnasium for exercise. I leave my hand gun(s) locked in my vehicle when I go into the gym. The vehicle is parked "on campus". By "on campus" I mean passed the guard houses where the speed limit changes to 15 MPH. I'm parking in one of the spots along the street, not in a parking lot. I just want to be completely clear. Is this legal or should I be leaving my guns at home?

Thanks in advance,
Teds787

Crossfire

Re: Hand Gun in Car on College Campus

Post by Crossfire »

It is legal to leave your gun in your car on a school parking lot. The definition of "premises" in Chapter 46 is "a building or a portion of a building". It does not include parking areas.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

jackal858
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jackal858 »

Crossfire wrote:It is legal to leave your gun in your car on a school parking lot. The definition of "premises" in Chapter 46 is "a building or a portion of a building". It does not include parking areas.
:iagree:

I've heard of parking areas posting 30.06 signs, but certainly never saw it. I don't know if that would prevent carry in the vehicle either though. Someone else will surely chime in on that.
8/7/2010: CHL Class
8/10/2010: Mailed to DPS
8/19/2010: Online information Available
8/26/2010: Fingerprints Approved
8/31/2010: Background Check Complete
9/2/2010: Mailed
9/7/2010: Plastic in hand

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

The only reason I didn't have mine in my car at UT Arlington last year was because the parking lots were not patrolled very well, if at all, that I could see. Since I did 39 hours in two semesters, I was there often enough to notice. Given the student population (around 28,000) UTA is not a physically large campus. There were literally weeks on end when I would not see a single campus police officer on bike, in a car, or on foot. There were perpetual emails to students from the UTAPD describing incidents, though, as well as associated postings on building doors. Never once did I see a ticket on an illegally parked car or motorcycle. I am not bashing them, just making observations. I'm sure there were budgetary and personnel considerations involved. Probably doing the best they could with what they had....

BroTyler

Post by BroTyler »

I posted about this in the College area of this forum and they gave me the same answer. I then asked campus police if there was a school policy prohibiting it and was told I would be fine leaving it in my car.

terryg

Post by terryg »

As UT is a publicly funded university, you should be well within the law to have your weapon in your car while visiting the campus.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

My husband and I leave our guns in our vehicles while in class (since we obviously can't carry them in the buildings) and we were told this is acceptable. The law defines "premises" as inside an actual building, luckily for us!

Just please make sure it's not readily accessible to anyone who may be looking to steal from students' cars. We keep our locked and unloaded while they're left in the car, just in case. If someone is really determined, they could probably get them eventually...but since our classes are all in broad daylight and it's a busy parking lot, it would draw a lot of suspicion. The fact that our campus is small and we have a small student body also means most people can tell whose car is whose, and who shouldn't be there. :cheers2:

A-R

Post by A-R »

jackal858 wrote:
Crossfire wrote:It is legal to leave your gun in your car on a school parking lot. The definition of "premises" in Chapter 46 is "a building or a portion of a building". It does not include parking areas.
:iagree:

I've heard of parking areas posting 30.06 signs, but certainly never saw it. I don't know if that would prevent carry in the vehicle either though. Someone else will surely chime in on that.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33608&hilit=+Tgslc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

I attend school at SMU, in Dallas, and never bring my gun to school in my car. Even though it is not illegal to do so. I mostly don't want to have to explain to my future employer why I was expelled from college and did not receive a degree. I would feel safe doing so if no one on campus knew that I have my CHL, however, I discussed getting my license with some of my classmates who were looking to get theirs also. I just don't want them to search my vehicle based on "probable cause" if someone I spoke with is a little loose lipped.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

jackal858

Post by jackal858 »

Great thread! Thanks for digging that up.
8/7/2010: CHL Class
8/10/2010: Mailed to DPS
8/19/2010: Online information Available
8/26/2010: Fingerprints Approved
8/31/2010: Background Check Complete
9/2/2010: Mailed
9/7/2010: Plastic in hand

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by surferdaddy »

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I need a bit of clarity.

An acquaintance of mine attended classes at warrant county college and he told me that he once asked campus pd if it was all right to lock his pistol in his car whilst attend class. He said that the officer told him absolutely not. I always leave mine locked in my vehicle while in class at that same college and now I'm beginning to doubt the legality of this action. According to the earlier posts in this thread, it seems legal. I am tired of hearing conflicting info about this subject. I'm always thinking ill go out to my car and have the police waiting for me. So, are there any lawyers or officers here that van offer definitive clarity about this issue? Could I be arrested or expelled? I'm so confused.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

You could be arrested, but not legally. As stated above, it is not illegal for you to have a gun in your vehicle if you have a CHL. You can be expelled as it may be against university policy, and that could stick, but they can't prosecute you for it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Wow, thanks for the speedy response to such a dusty thread. So jail, no. Expulsion, perhaps. Well, id much prefer to be expelled than to be dead.
CHL/LTC instructor

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Keith B wrote:You could be arrested, but not legally. As stated above, it is not illegal for you to have a gun in your vehicle if you have a CHL. You can be expelled as it may be against university policy, and that could stick, but they can't prosecute you for it.
THIS is the situation I am in where I attend school. I'm fairly certain many colleges in this state have similar policy. They can't LEGALLY do anything to you, but you can be "academically disciplined", that is, expelled. I would ignore the darned policy, just to be honest, but the law enforcement training facility uses the same parking lot...and they bring working dogs sometimes. I don't trust to luck, good way to lose.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Here is what my handbook has to say. It only mentions the premises and nothing about the parking lot. What do you all think?

Firearms and Weapons
The possession of firearms, explosives, fireworks or weapons of any kind on the College premises or at College-sponsored events is unlawful in accordance with Texas law. Even those with permits are not Tarrant County College District Student Handbook allowed to carry concealed handguns on a college's premises. Law enforcement officers, including College police, are permitted to have firearms while in the performance of their duties as defined by College policy and the Texas Penal Code. Police officers may not carry weapons while attending classroom instruction.
CHL/LTC instructor

Return to “New to CHL?”