Building a POF Billet .308 Lower, need some pointers please

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
EnglandGreen
Posts in topic: 3

Building a POF Billet .308 Lower, need some pointers please

Post by EnglandGreen »

I do not post much on this forum (other than the Waiting Lounge when I was waiting for my TX CHL) but I thought I would ask the knowledgeable folks here for a few pointers in building my first AR-10.

I have build 2 x AR-15 from stripped lower receivers to completed (and beautiful) firearms but the dearth of information on the AR-10 is amazing. I did numerous Google searches to try and find the answers to relatively simple questions but came up either empty, or with conflicting information and even more confused.

As I have built AR-15s before, I (foolishly) thought that this would be a piece of cake. Little did I know...

Here is my dilemma : I have an absolutely gorgeous brand new POF billet .308 stripped lower with the 5 little POF .308 parts (hex head screws etc.) that came with the POF stripped lower.

Of course - no instructions. I looked at the POF website and they have an ambiguous video of what I presume is an exploded 3D lower but with no explanation as to what you are looking at. I scoured the web in the hope of finding a "how to" on building this beast - no conclusive luck. Only lots and lots of conflicting information and no pictures.

My questions :
1> where do those 5 little POF .308 specific parts go and how *specifically* do you install them?
2> Is the buffer and spring different for a .308 (as opposed to the .223 AR-15)?
3> Can I use the same collapsible AR-15 stock or is there a .308 specific collapsible stock?
4> Triggers - can I use a Timney or other aftermarket AR-15 trigger or is the trigger assembly .308 specific?

I guess what I want to know, in a nutshell, is this : what *exactly* is different between a AR-10 and a AR-15? Which parts work and what does not? What do I have to unlearn? Will a DPMS complete upper assembly drop on a assembled POF billet lower - or do I have to get "special bushings" to make it work? (read this last one on a forum).

I have been lusting after a AR-10 for many, many years so this is like a dream come true to build my first one. I just wish that there was some clear, unambiguous information (with pictures/diagrams) and what is different from a AR-15.

Any help at all - no matter how small - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stephen Rawlins
CHL Class at PSC Friendswood Fri./Sat. 1-17/18-09
1-29-09 - Overnight UPS delivery
1-30-09 - Delivered to DPS 10:30 a.m.
3-20-09 - PIN Received at last, dated 3-05-09
3-20-09 - Processing Application
9-03-09 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
9-09-09 - Plastic in Hand!

Topic author
EnglandGreen
Posts in topic: 3