Hideout Grips and the J-frame...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hideout Grips and the J-frame...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Getting a grip on the brisk-recoiling J-frames is something that several approaches have sought to solve. While some are happy with the smallish wooden grips that used to come on S&W J-frames, others complained of their just being too small for any real control at speed. Other grip manufacturers offered larger grips that certainly helped controlling the gun, but negated its small size. Some used the Tyler grip adapter with success while it just didn't "do it" for others.

Here we see a Model 37-2 with some smooth S&W wooden grips with a Tyler grip adapter in place. Many, including myself find this a satisfactory setup. The only problem with wood grips in my experience is that if worn next to the skin, over time the grip next to it becomes "stained" with perspiration. Though these stocks are smooth, the most common were checkered and it could abrade the skin on some folks.

In recent years, S&W has produced its line of snubs with checkered rubber boot grips and most, including myself, seem to find them a very good compromise with regard to both size, feel, and control, but some just don't like "soft" grips or expouse that the rubber tends to cling to clothing and is more likely to "print."

Here's the rubber grips that have come on S&W J-frames in recent years. They work fine with speedloaders as is and I've found them satisfactory.

A while back I ordered a set of Precision's "Hideout Grips." These inexpensive (under $20) grips do not extend below the bottom of the revolver frame and are uncheckered. They are made of hard nylon. I put them on an S&W Model 042.

These are the Precision Hideout Grips on my Model 042. You can see the area that has been reduced on the top of the grip.

Here is a better picture of the reduction. Mr. Hogue and others have nothing to fear from me as a "grip maker" but I do wish that Precision would offer the grip reduced in this area from the package.

As you can see, the modified grip allows easy use of a speedloader. For those who use speed strips or simply load one or two at a time, the grips work fine as they are.

The grips stayed tight and in place during firing and while not "elegant" in looks, neither do they cling to clothing or abrade the body if pressing tightly against the torso...but they were not perfect.

I found that there was no way to use a speedloader with the Hideout Grips as they came from the plastic bag. (They work fine with speed strips.)

Starting with 180-grit sandpaper, I thinned and dressed down the upper portion of the left grip panel until an HKS speedloader could be easily used. When I saw that enough material had been removed, I cleaned it up with 1000-grit. The job took about 20 minutes.

Yesterday, I received another set and found them identical to the set I bought about a year ago for the Model 042. I gave these the same treatment and with the same results.

There is nothing astounding are particularly "news worthy" in this information, but if you are not happy with the stocks on your J-frame and think this might be a solution, the post might be of use.

It would not be an expensive proposition to find out.

Here's the second set of worked over Hideout Grips on a Model 642.

I'm sure these grips can be purchased elsewhere, but I got mine here:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... ?p=9924&s=

There are some options available in the grips style itself, but I chose the plain black w/o finger grooves.

Best.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for the review. I think I'll order a pair for my Mod. 37.

Chas.

Topic author
Crosstimbers Okie

Re: Hideout Grips and the J-frame...

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

I carried J-Frames for many years before I discovered Glock. I've tried all of them that are reviewed here, and several more. I have found that on these small frame that I need the backstrap to be covered in order to lengthen my trigger reach. Otherwise I wear a terrible blister on my trigger finger and the base of my thumb. I finally settled on the old Uncle Mike's "banana grips" that S&W put on it's J-Frame .357s in the mid 1990s.

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Okie, I noticed that as well. The best I have found is the Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek. Apparently, they have been recently discontinued but there are plenty of them on eBay
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Topic author
Crosstimbers Okie

Post by Crosstimbers Okie »

Too bad. Good thing I'm stocked up on them!

Henry Dearborn

Post by Henry Dearborn »

Mr. Camp how "slick" are those hard nylon grips? I have seen them in the Brownells catalog and thought they would be a decent grip but have held back for fear they would be slick, especially with wet/sweaty hands etc....

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. The "textured" version is a little less slick than the standard and is what I usually now order though I usually go over either slick or textured with an engraving pencil. For me, this allows the gun to be firmly held with wet hands but w/o making the grip so rough that it clings to certain types of clothing.

Best.

Return to “Camp's Corner”