The 4-hour gent

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldSchool
Posts in topic: 4

The 4-hour gent

Post by OldSchool »

Finally noticed the "4-Hour CHL" signs today at the Pasadena gun show. Decided it had to be the Utah license, although we never did see confirmation of that. :roll:

As we walked past his stand, we made the mistake of responding to his question to both of us: "Do you have a CHL?" DynaBlue said "Yes" and I said "I wouldn't tell you!" He took offense at that, then proudly displayed his CHL clearly visible on a lanyard around his neck (I never did notice the state, though), saying that someone coming up close to him would know he might be carrying. He didn't care for my point that he was giving away too much information to the BG (giving free intel to the Enemy is never the smart thing to do), instead continually asking (loudly) "How close is too close?" (The age-old debating technique of "evading the point under discussion".) I interpreted that outburst as indicating he thinks that BG's are only dangerous within 21 feet, and they'll just run away once they see the bulletproof "CHL badge." (Maybe not, but his argument sure was going that way.) :mad5

I'd rather not pin a sniper's target on my own back, to say the least. Once I have transitioned from a helpless fool to a possibly armed threat, the BG will see me in a different way, and be much more on guard; I'd rather not risk coming across one who would be inclined to simply eliminate the possibility that I'm armed, on their own terms.

We finally just walked away as he became louder and louder. Will definitely avoid contact with him again. ;-)
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

tamc9395

Re: The 4-hour gent

Post by tamc9395 »

I have to admit I am confuesed...

What is "4-hour gent"?

What else was he doing to make himself appear to be "carrying"?

Topic author
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

tamc9395 wrote:I have to admit I am confuesed...
Sorry! :tiphat:
What is "4-hour gent"?
I meant the person who was advertising "CHL in four hours." I'd read of such folks, but hadn't noticed them before now.
What else was he doing to make himself appear to be "carrying"?
I believe his intent was to keep the BG guessing beyond displaying the license. I can't say he was doing anything illegal, certainly, and I really wasn't intrigued enough to ask more questions (actually, it was more than I wanted to know).

I probably should mention that I think he's welcome to his views, I'm just not comfortable with what I heard and saw.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HankB »

OldSchool wrote: . . . then proudly displayed his CHL clearly visible on a lanyard around his neck (I never did notice the state, though), saying that someone coming up close to him would know he might be carrying.
And you didn't suggest he get himself a CHL badge? Shame on you! :lol:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The only time, where the correct use of concealed carry, I mean where it has an advantage, is say if you have been held up in store/bank and the BG has no clue who is armed or not. The advantage of drawing from concealment is when you draw and :fire :fire NO Hesitation and NO wait. The BG did not have a chance to figure out what happened. If the CHLer draw and do not act, the BG would proceed to reactively shoot the CHLer.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Barbi Q

Post by Barbi Q »

tamc9395 wrote:I have to admit I am confuesed...

What is "4-hour gent"?
Much better than a Minute Man.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

Topic author
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

HankB wrote:
OldSchool wrote: . . . then proudly displayed his CHL clearly visible on a lanyard around his neck (I never did notice the state, though), saying that someone coming up close to him would know he might be carrying.
And you didn't suggest he get himself a CHL badge? Shame on you! :lol:
Sorry, (sigh), I thought he might have been selling them....

OK, that was probably a low blow, I'm sorry.... :evil2:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!

W5SRG

Post by W5SRG »

this guy sounds like a moron. Never seen him at Pasadena. Maybe this weekend... I think I read where they are fixing it that you have to be a Utah resident to get their CHL now.
What miffs me is the lousy reciprocity that TEXAS CHLers get in contiguous states.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

W5SRG wrote:this guy sounds like a moron. Never seen him at Pasadena. Maybe this weekend... I think I read where they are fixing it that you have to be a Utah resident to get their CHL now.
What miffs me is the lousy reciprocity that TEXAS CHLers get in contiguous states.
...name a contiguous state we DON'T get reciprocity in, please???

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I think perhaps W5SRG meant to say the contiguous states (plural). If so, I might agree.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:I think perhaps W5SRG meant to say the contiguous states (plural). If so, I might agree.
Still not sure what you mean. You have to go at least 2 states over minimum in any direction get to a state that doesn't honor the Texas CHL.

Brian

Topic author
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

BrianSW99 wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:I think perhaps W5SRG meant to say the contiguous states (plural). If so, I might agree.
Still not sure what you mean. You have to go at least 2 states over minimum in any direction get to a state that doesn't honor the Texas CHL.

Brian
And, for many of us, that's not nearly enough states on many of our trips. We often go where we are under Federal rules for having firearms in the vehicle (and don't even start to think about carrying) for several states in a row. And, of course, all alternate routes are no better.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

My understanding from someone authorized to give the Utah course is they no longer issue to iut of state residents. Besides the Texas 8 hour course gives you a lot more pertinent information.
I was at the range yesterday and did not realize a cease fire had been called in the regular range because a CHL class was qualifying on the private range reserved for them. Half way to the bench a range officer stopped me that I could not carry a gun to the bench. The sound of their gunfire had me thinking the range was hot.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

kjolly wrote:My understanding from someone authorized to give the Utah course is they no longer issue to iut of state residents. Besides the Texas 8 hour course gives you a lot more pertinent information.
I was at the range yesterday and did not realize a cease fire had been called in the regular range because a CHL class was qualifying on the private range reserved for them. Half way to the bench a range officer stopped me that I could not carry a gun to the bench. The sound of their gunfire had me thinking the range was hot.
They still do issue to out of state residents, but as of a certain date you must have a license from your home state (if they issue one) or Utah will not give you a non-res. Maybe the 4 hour gent has switched to Florida CWFL....
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

kjolly wrote:My understanding from someone authorized to give the Utah course is they no longer issue to iut of state residents. Besides the Texas 8 hour course gives you a lot more pertinent information.
Imagine what you'd learn in the correct 10-hour course! :lol::
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”