4 Hour CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
R_Comstock
Posts in topic: 3

4 Hour CHL?

Post by R_Comstock »

Hey guys! Been a long time since I've posted here and admittedly, I haven't kept up with the changes to CHL over the last few months. There is a guy advertising on the radio in Corpus Christi that he can provide the necessary CHL training in 4 hours. Did the classroom requirement change recently or is this guy a bandit instructor?
The name's Ross! :)
---
9/20/09 CHL Class
9/21/09 Application mailed
9/23/09 Application received
10/26/09 Letter from DPS: Missing copy of military orders
10/30/09 PIN Received by mail
11/26/09 Application completed
12/03/09 Plastic in hand
Glock 23, Ruger LCP
NRA Life/TSRA Member

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 4 Hour CHL?

Post by Teamless »

Teaching the UTAH Class most likely, get the UTAH license (until the new UTAH law goes into effect).
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

10 hours of instruction are still required by law for initial licensure, and 4 hours for renewals. This guy is probably a Utah instructor--the list of Utah instructors shows four in the 361 area code.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

USA1

Post by USA1 »

I've been hearing radio commercials about "four hour chl's" being offered at the gun show and wondered the same thing.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

05RKClass

Post by 05RKClass »

I saw a poster board advertising 4-hour CHL at the last gun show in GRB. I was thinking UTAH, but still had my concerns about that path.

From the previous post - are they changing the law in Utah or here in Texas to hinder this setup?
07/02 FFL/SOT
NRA Life Member
Texas CHL Holder

Rebel
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rebel »

05RKClass wrote:I saw a poster board advertising 4-hour CHL at the last gun show in GRB. I was thinking UTAH, but still had my concerns about that path.

From the previous post - are they changing the law in Utah or here in Texas to hinder this setup?
Utah just made it necessary for a non resident applicant to 1st have a CFP/CHL/CCW whatever a state calls it from their home state prior to getting a Utah CFP. This only applies to States that have reciprocity with Utah such as Texas, this wouldn't apply to a resident of a state such as California, which doesn't recognize any other States permits.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Utah has now passed legislation that as of May 1, 2011, you must have a resident license from your state before you can get a Utah license. So, if your legal residence is Texas, then you will be required to hold a current and valid Texas CHL or you will not be able to get a Utah license. Those that already have a Utah license and no Texas license, you will have until Dec. 31, 2010 to renew your existing Utah license. After that date, you will be required to hold a residence license from your state first.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Keith B wrote:Utah has now passed legislation that as of May 1, 2011, you must have a resident license from your state before you can get a Utah license. So, if your legal residence is Texas, then you will be required to hold a current and valid Texas CHL or you will not be able to get a Utah license. Those that already have a Utah license and no Texas license, you will have until Dec. 31, 2010 to renew your existing Utah license. After that date, you will be required to hold a residence license from your state first.
Did you mean Dec. 31, 2012?

Unless someone has a time machine I can borrow the 2010 is going to be a problem. :lol:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Rebel wrote:
Keith B wrote:Utah has now passed legislation that as of May 1, 2011, you must have a resident license from your state before you can get a Utah license. So, if your legal residence is Texas, then you will be required to hold a current and valid Texas CHL or you will not be able to get a Utah license. Those that already have a Utah license and no Texas license, you will have until Dec. 31, 2010 to renew your existing Utah license. After that date, you will be required to hold a residence license from your state first.

Unless someone has a time machine I can borrow the 2010 is going to be a problem. :lol:
Sorry, typo. I meant 2011 (end of this year.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Keith B wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Sorry, typo. I meant 2011 (end of this year.)
Just to clarify,

Taken from Crossfire in Utah solved thread
Effective May 10, 2011, New Non-Resident Utah CFP applicants will have to include a copy of their current resident permit to qualify for a Utah CFP.

Effective Jan 1, 2012, Non-Resident RENEWAL applicants will also have to submit a copy of their current resident permit.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK, May 10 vs. May 1, and Dec 31 is still the last day to renew without a resident CHL from your state.
Keith

Mr.ViperBoa

Post by Mr.ViperBoa »

I love it! it means all those who chose to get a Utah license because it was faster will now have to do the Texas class anyway. :hurry:
Christian/Family man
Veteran
CHL Instructor
http://www.texaschlsolutions.com/

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

And, maybe now the Four-Hour Gent won't be so bellicose. :cheers2:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40538&hilit=+4+hour#p486809
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Bart

Post by Bart »

The "4 Hour CHL" is false advertising because Utah doesn't issue a CHL. If the "4 Hour CHL" guys are a real problem, the answer isn't new laws in Texas. The remedy already exists for deceptive trade practices.

I'm tempted to offer a three hour concealed carry class. :evil2: I'm not a Utah instructor, so the new Utah law doesn't affect me, but I am certified to teach a class that satisfies the training requirement for at least one state that has reciprocity with Texas.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

jmra

Post by jmra »

There was a large banner at the Fort Worth show today stating 4 hour classes with no written test, no range requirement, and $10 renewal. Two ladies sitting behind the table. Didn't see anyone approach the table the several times I passed by. I thought about asking if they had a plan B, but left well enough alone. I probably should do that more often.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”