TSRA convention...Some observations and thoughts...

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

TSRA convention...Some observations and thoughts...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Just got back, and since the attendence by "TomC", myself and my Dad, I didn't see or meet anyone who is a participant on this forum the whole weekend...That's ok, becuaser the usual suspects were sick, or didn't come because of the lack of a "gunshow" event next door to the convention...No big deal there either...

Now this post is designedd to illicite a response...Either publically, or in the Smokey Back Room (PM's)

I sensed a disturbance in the Force...I have some concerns, and maybe during my short sabatical from this forum I may have missed some things going on...

Maybe the concern I have is that the "activists" among us (including myself) may sense a lesser of a threat to our RKBA in this state...Granted things are goin fairly well, but as always we still need to be vigilant in how we pay attentioon to what IS going on anyway...

The TSRA convention just didn't seem to have the same air about it...I heard a very good talk by a young guy from Australia named Nick Adams (goto: nickaddamsinamerica.com), you'll see what I saw Saturday afternoon...A very well spoken, and passionate guy about this country...Coming from a foriegner no less!!! The dinners were great, meeting some new folks was amiable...But the overall air was thickwith something, that I could not immediately put my finger on...

I know it is hard to put on such an event, with all the challenges and other aspects that didn't make this a weekend like some of us is used to...

Maybe some others have some theories or thoughts on this...And we can certainly keep it confidential and discrete, but I do not pass up an opportunity to bring up a concern I have, and welcome input from anyone on this...

So there it is...Better to throw it out there for consumption...Let's see what happens...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 5

Re: TSRA convention...Some observations and thoughts...

Post by LikesShinyThings »

stevie_d_64 wrote: the usual suspects were sick, or didn't come because of the lack of a "gunshow" event next door to the convention...
...or had a schedule conflict that couldn't be avoided. (Sorry, but for the time being job trumps fun, even if the fun is TSRA.)

Now I'm curious about the "air" that you mention. I have to admit I've felt a touch more "secure" in what will happen in the legislature this year due to the numbers in our favor. No, I don't think it is a done deal, and I do make a point of contacting my legis-critters. But I have a sense that Texas will move in a pro-gun direction this year.

As for the national level - I personally still feel the need to do work our legis-critters there, too, relative to the laws that might be submitted or voted on.

Stevie, are you saying you got an impression that folks were kind of blase about protecting our rights?
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

LikesShinyThings wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote: the usual suspects were sick, or didn't come because of the lack of a "gunshow" event next door to the convention...
...or had a schedule conflict that couldn't be avoided. (Sorry, but for the time being job trumps fun, even if the fun is TSRA.)

Now I'm curious about the "air" that you mention. I have to admit I've felt a touch more "secure" in what will happen in the legislature this year due to the numbers in our favor. No, I don't think it is a done deal, and I do make a point of contacting my legis-critters. But I have a sense that Texas will move in a pro-gun direction this year.

As for the national level - I personally still feel the need to do work our legis-critters there, too, relative to the laws that might be submitted or voted on.

Stevie, are you saying you got an impression that folks were kind of blase about protecting our rights?
Seemed to me like the emphasis was geared more to the average hunter crowd, and not one geared towards the activists or active participation in the agressive protection of the 2A...Alice Tripp had her usual discussion about what is going on in Austin, and the impression I got was things are under control...Which in and of itself sets off alarms in me about what is going on...But for the most part I think we are in good shape...We probably need to keep on paying attention, offering our opinion, support those pro-gun bills and oppose the bad ones...

Don't get me wrong, but I think the hunter crowd is a little less activists about the 2A, except for the hunters in our forum here...And that is what I am seeing running the show at the TSRA now...I may be wrong, and someone will certainly disagree with me about hunters in general, but hey, that is what I see, but to me it is not a bad thing, its just I hope we maintain a vigilance worthy of the work and sacrifice others have done before this shift in the leadership of the TSRA...

But like I said, that Nick Adams (Australian) is a firecraker of a speaker, and Jerry Patterson is always a stalwart defender who will ALWAYS by on the right side no matter who is running the show...Alice Tripp is just...Alice...You don't find too many people who can do the things she does when no one is watching in my opinion...

Maybe having a TSRA convention without Charles Cotton floating around is what is giving me this "empty"feeling inside...

Just my opinion...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I fully planned to attend the dinner, and Stevie, I was looking forward to meeting you in particular. I had planned to sit with Crossfire and Marty. I had even discussed it with my wife in advance. But come Friday, my wife wanted a date. As they say, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. We went on a date instead.

Maybe next year....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LikesShinyThings

The Annoyed Man wrote:I fully planned to attend the dinner, and Stevie, I was looking forward to meeting you in particular. I had planned to sit with Crossfire and Marty. I had even discussed it with my wife in advance. But come Friday, my wife wanted a date. As they say, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. We went on a date instead.

Maybe next year....
Gee, my husband and I use the TSRA foundation dinner (and Friends of NRA dinners) AS our dates, not instead of. You need to teach your wife these are fun - and if she's winning bidder (auction, live or silent) or lucky draw (bucket raffle), she might come home with some new jewelry, or a new gun, or something else that tickles her fancy. What can I say, I've been infected.

Re Stevie's points:
As for the current apparent focus of TSRA to hunters... I hope Stevie that what you express is an inaccurate perception that just happened to come out in the people you ran into, though I certainly can't assume that. I agree that the "2A folks" tend to be more activist and directed to protecting our rights, from what I've seen. Hunters often (not ALL, by any means, but as a general trend) in my limited experience seem to lean more to the "I just want to hunt. Don't get me involved in politics." type of attitude. Then again, a LOT of folks, pro-gun or not, are not interested in politics. Of course, those are the people politicians love - they let the politicians do anything they want - aka, glean more power for themselves. (Ooops... not intending to besmirch you and your intent to become a politician. There are exceptions to every rule, may you be one of those exceptions.)

Any way, having not been at the meeting, I cannot speak intelligently on the perception you discussed. But you've at least raised my awareness to keep an eye on the emails from TSRA, and an ear on what I hear from/about them. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LikesShinyThings wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I fully planned to attend the dinner, and Stevie, I was looking forward to meeting you in particular. I had planned to sit with Crossfire and Marty. I had even discussed it with my wife in advance. But come Friday, my wife wanted a date. As they say, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. We went on a date instead.

Maybe next year....
Gee, my husband and I use the TSRA foundation dinner (and Friends of NRA dinners) AS our dates, not instead of. You need to teach your wife these are fun - and if she's winning bidder (auction, live or silent) or lucky draw (bucket raffle), she might come home with some new jewelry, or a new gun, or something else that tickles her fancy. What can I say, I've been infected.
My wife has no problem with the TSRA, or any of its events. When I say "date," I mean "DATE," as in two's company and all that. Who am I to argue with such flawless logic? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LikesShinyThings

The Annoyed Man wrote:
LikesShinyThings wrote:

Maybe next year....
My wife has no problem with the TSRA, or any of its events. When I say "date," I mean "DATE," as in two's company and all that. Who am I to argue with such flawless logic? :mrgreen:
Oops. Just call me Captain Oblivious. :oops:
No, I wouldn't argue with that sort of flawless logic, either!

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldSchool »

After hearing about it from forum members last year, we had planned to be there this year. Well, over the course of the year we forgot about it -- until we saw someone mention it on the forum the weekend before. Too late to go. :oops:

What is our punishment? :rules:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

LikesShinyThings

OldSchool wrote:After hearing about it from forum members last year, we had planned to be there this year. Well, over the course of the year we forgot about it -- until we saw someone mention it on the forum the weekend before. Too late to go. :oops:

What is our punishment? :rules:
Find the soonest, nearest Friends of NRA dinner and go to that. Enjoy a decent meal, good company, and fun conversations, not to mention some fun games, auctions, and other activities.
Edited to add: http://www.friendsofnra.org/National.aspx?cid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternative: Attend the NRA Annual Meeting. If you haven't been to one, I highly recommend it. That is a real experience! Nothing like being surrounded by thousands of pro gun folks. And the exhibit hall will take you two full days to cover half-ways decently. I believe it will be in Houston year after next. April or May, IIRC.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

LikesShinyThings wrote:Find the soonest, nearest Friends of NRA dinner and go to that. Enjoy a decent meal, good company, and fun conversations, not to mention some fun games, auctions, and other activities.
Edited to add: http://www.friendsofnra.org/National.aspx?cid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad that so many enjoy Friends of NRA. I've only been to one dinner; my last.

For someone like me, and actually we were a table of eight, that neither drink nor gamble, it was one of the most unpleasant evenings of my life.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

LikesShinyThings

Mike1951 wrote:
LikesShinyThings wrote:Find the soonest, nearest Friends of NRA dinner and go to that. Enjoy a decent meal, good company, and fun conversations, not to mention some fun games, auctions, and other activities.
I'm glad that so many enjoy Friends of NRA. I've only been to one dinner; my last.

For someone like me, and actually we were a table of eight, that neither drink nor gamble, it was one of the most unpleasant evenings of my life.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. We don't drink or gamble, either. We recognize it for what it is - a fundraiser, and go and enjoy ourselves knowing what it is all about. Even without participating in a lot of the games, we enjoy the conversation and the atmosphere. I understand this is not for everyone. We make it fun and enjoy ourselves. Sounds like you, not so much. At least you know your preference now.

Side note: One of my favorite stories is when a friend came from (far) out of town for a weekend visit. We just happened to discover that there was a dinner in the area the evening he arrived and he was amenable to going. Wouldn't you know it, HE was the one (of the three of us) who won a rifle that evening.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Steve, I was genuinely sad I couldn't make it, but I'm glad to hear a few folks went. Did yer dad go, this year? he cracked me up, last year. Why they stuck us at the back of the room, I'll never know, lord knows we behave ourselves! :biggrinjester:

anyway, yeah, I totally get what you're saying about the disparity between activist. I've got a buddy of mine that lives down in San Angelo that falls into that mold. He's a hunter, has a deer lease, and all that jazz. he sends me these crazy Obama emails all the time, to which I :roll: and delete.
I've asked him, "Hey, you wanna actually do something about things, you should join these organizations!"
to which he responds, "Man, I need ta."
and that's it.

I call him a slacktivist. and he is, in the truest form. "Whaddya gonna do if they ban 11+rd mags?" Mah 1911 only carries 8, I don't care.
"whaddya gonna do when they ban AR's?" Ah don't hunt with them, I hunt with a bolt action.
dude. seriously...

Ah, well. Missed you guys this year, but I'm glad I went the year before last when we all got to go to Charles' presentation. That was a blast hearing all his stories and what-have-ya.
anyway, I digress...
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I was actually on a jobsite just south of you this weekend. Had to go to Alvin to check on a job problem and couldn't make it.
Next year for sure. :txflag:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

howdy

Post by howdy »

I just got my January/February copy of the TSRA Magazine. In the back it has the sign up sheet for the Convention to be held in Mesquite on Feb. 22. It APPEARS (Charles, please correct me if I am wrong) if you sign up as a Guardian Sponsor for $2500, you get 10 banquet tickets, special VIP seating AND a DPMS Recon Ar 15. What a great way to support TSRA and get a hard to find rifle.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “National Rifle Association”