Disabled Vets

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeremae »

MoH should be automatic free chl, I know if I was an instructor I would never accept a penny from anyone with MoH (of course few survive)
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

jimdark

Post by jimdark »

In 2005, when the bills for reduced costs for active duty and reserve came up, the idea of reduced rates for ALL veterans was considered, VERY BRIEFLY.

Due to the likelihood of getting the bill labeled with the killer "Negative Fiscal Impact" it was dropped like a hot potato.

However, I think the Disabled Veteran idea would probably fly. Let's see what we can do!

Jim Dark
TSRA

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

Thank you for your 1st post. Welcome aboard Jim.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

jimdark wrote:In 2005, when the bills for reduced costs for active duty and reserve came up, the idea of reduced rates for ALL veterans was considered, VERY BRIEFLY.
Welcome aboard, Jim!

Still brandishing that muzzleloader at Sonic soccerninnies? :grin:

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

IIRC,

Didn't we have a bill go through in 2005 that did do something about the cost of CHL licences and renewals for Veterans, but got watered down or modified that wouldn't do much for any Veteran, regardless of the disabled status or not???

I also recall that a licence could be awarded to service members stationed in Texas even if they were underage, like 18 and up???

Alice Tripp clarified that one to me a while back...

I believe its something that needs to be re-introduced every session until some form of bill passes that does that for Veterans...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
ElGato
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ElGato »

I don't know of anything being proposed for DV's at all.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I recall reading something about a discount offered to vets and I think when I looked into it, it depended on your disability rating. Kinda like having to qualify with a higher disability rating for special DV license plates!

I'd definitely vote yes for a reduced rate. Especially on state fees. I don't think local places of instruction will drop their fees. :cry:
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Howdy there Mr. Dark, you beat me to it...

I knew something was dropped like a hot potato for that reason!!!

Kinda hacked me off they did that, but I got over it... :lol:

I think they should try it again...Just because...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

cxm

Re: Disabled Vets

Post by cxm »

A good idea for 100% disabled vets...

Chuck
ElGato wrote:How about cutting some cost for Disabled Vets, they get help on some other State license, ( car or truck and hunting license ) and I think there should be something passed to help them with the CHL.
Tomcat
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

ElGato brought up a fact in a recent conversation, IIRC, that its either veterans in general, or disabled veterans (which is what I think is correct) that they do not pay for hunting licences and other fees for certain other certificates and licenses in this state...

I would think it would not be that much of a leap to include the Texas CHL in that group...I believe it would be right and correct to pass a law to support this...

But I also still support an overall reduction in the initial and renewal fees for all honorably discharged veterans...But if it went to being free as well, I am sure there would be no objections...

Thanks for reviving this thread! I believe it is a subject that needs to be pushed again...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

stevie_d_64 wrote:ElGato brought up a fact in a recent conversation, IIRC, that its either veterans in general, or disabled veterans (which is what I think is correct) that they do not pay for hunting licences and other fees for certain other certificates and licenses in this state...

I would think it would not be that much of a leap to include the Texas CHL in that group...I believe it would be right and correct to pass a law to support this...

But I also still support an overall reduction in the initial and renewal fees for all honorably discharged veterans...But if it went to being free as well, I am sure there would be no objections...

Thanks for reviving this thread! I believe it is a subject that needs to be pushed again...
Although reducing or eliminating the costs for Disabled Veterans is a great idea. I am not to crazy about doing it for all honorably discharged Veterans. Such a bill or law would imply that we are somehow restricted in carrying our own weight. Many veterans have run into a kind of bigotry, that we have mental issues (Thanks Rambo) or served because we weren't smart enough to do anything else. While the facts bare out that veterans do live good lives. I would rather not send out the implication that we need the extra help just because we are happened to serve in the U.S Armed Forces.

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

Liberty wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:ElGato brought up a fact in a recent conversation, IIRC, that its either veterans in general, or disabled veterans (which is what I think is correct) that they do not pay for hunting licences and other fees for certain other certificates and licenses in this state...

Although reducing or eliminating the costs for Disabled Veterans is a great idea. I am not to crazy about doing it for all honorably discharged Veterans. Such a bill or law would imply that we are somehow restricted in carrying our own weight. Many veterans have run into a kind of bigotry, that we have mental issues (Thanks Rambo) or served because we weren't smart enough to do anything else. While the facts bare out that veterans do live good lives. I would rather not send out the implication that we need the extra help just because we are happened to serve in the U.S Armed Forces.
I am full supportive of all Honorably discharged vets. It is the small minded who feel that vets are uneducated or have mental issues. The educated know better. I think it should be one of the benefits of service. Just like VA health care and home loans. Our veterans deserve it for keeping our freedom intact by being prepared to pay the highest price. :patriot:
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Liberty wrote:

I dissagree, only on the premise that the same qualifications, and other pre-requisites (echhh, its saturday night), are still adhered to...

The only thing going away is the fee, or a reduced fee for those veterans not disabled...

Like I said disabled Vets (as ElGato can attest to) are not charged for hunting and fishing licences, and I stand to be corrected, but I think he also said drivers licenses etc etc...

ElGato can clear up any discrepancies if I have mis-spoken...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

quidni

Post by quidni »

Liberty wrote:I would rather not send out the implication that we need the extra help just because we are happened to serve in the U.S Armed Forces.
What if Texans want to send out the message that we need to say "Thank you for serving!" to our veterans? :patriot: :txflag:
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

quidni wrote:
Liberty wrote:I would rather not send out the implication that we need the extra help just because we are happened to serve in the U.S Armed Forces.
What if Texans want to send out the message that we need to say "Thank you for serving!" to our veterans? :patriot: :txflag:
I would rather see us celebrate Veterans day as a real holiday, with more people getting the day off.

Return to “Goals for 2007”