CHL Incident- North Dallas PD- Great Guys

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
internetguy
Posts in topic: 5

Re: CHL Incident- North Dallas PD- Great Guys

Post by internetguy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
internetguy wrote:Annoyed Man- I was wearing tactical pants during the incident. Very large pockets. My .45 is a Kimber Ultra CDP, ie, 3 inch barrel. Was using well made pocket holster- draw is fast, gun orientation correct.
So I was wondering which pocket holster you use. One of my regular carry guns is a Stainless Ultra Carry II. I usually carry it OWB, but I do own tactical type pants and shorts with large pockets and would pocket carry the gun on occasion if the holster was the right one.
Annoyed- I know some folks laugh at Uncle Mike's gear, but they make a pretty good, inexpensive, durable and highly usable pocket inside the pocket holster. Have used it for a couple years and it worked perfectly during this incident. View here: http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/ins ... sters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PUCKER »

To the OP - sounds like you handled yourself VERY well. :tiphat:

shooter76blue

Post by shooter76blue »

I pocket carry a Kimber Tactical ultra in a Mika pocket holster on occasion and find it is very quick. I have practiced quite a bit with it and it has never hung up or come out of the pocket still attached!!!
Shooter

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Thank you for posting. Very clear. Great to hear a first-hand account, and particularly one that was, from my take, handled exactly correctly. You did an admirable job dealing with a difficult and stressful situation. Glad you made it home safely.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Great summary... thanks for posting.

Add "get the license plate number" to your (short) list of things to do differently (hopefully never) next time. Too bad the station cameras didn't capture it... Perhaps a different camera may have caught a better angle as he drove through?

I keep thinking an incident like this is similar for the BG as telling a 30.06 establishment their sign is non-compliant... Is the BG here gonna have a gun next time he loses his temper? It would be nice to be able to find him and convict him of something that keeps him from (legally) owning a gun.

Again... thanks for sharing while the details were fresh in your mind. I'm glad it turned out well for all involved.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

This incident was handled extremely well by everyone involved except the aggressor, and the results couldn't have been better.

Unless I miss my guess, the OP had done extensive "what if" thinking beforehand, and called on his earlier decisions to keep up with the fast breaking events in real time. Can that be confirmed?

There is always room for improvement after any incident, and it's important to figure out what can be done better to maximize safety in the future. The after action review comments on taking a covered position earlier and getting a tag number are also solid.

The comment on an overdose of testosterone on the aggressor's part may be close to the literal truth - his behavior is consistent with "roid rage" (steroid induced behavior) although we have no way of knowing for sure if that's the case or not.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TxKimberMan

Post by TxKimberMan »

Thank you for sharing your experience and your candor. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Your response quoted below was priceless...
internetguy wrote: "Well then- are you going to shoot me? Huh? What are you gonna do?"

I responded calmly with "that depends entirely on what you do next"
:thumbs2:
U.S. Coast Guard 1982-90
Semper Paratus

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

TxKimberMan wrote:Thank you for sharing your experience and your candor. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Your response quoted below was priceless...
internetguy wrote: "Well then- are you going to shoot me? Huh? What are you gonna do?"

I responded calmly with "that depends entirely on what you do next"
I really liked that too.

I may shamelessly plagiarize it if I find myself in a similar situation.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

nyj

Post by nyj »

Thanks for posting. Glad you didn't have to use shoot the fool.

Just curious, do you think carrying pepper spray could have helped you in this situation?

Topic author
internetguy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by internetguy »

Excaliber- I train fairly regularly at the Dallas Pistol Club where I'm a member.

I'd have to say that of all the scenario's I've rehearsed, mostly to practice drawing, taking cover, moving my feet with gun in hands, and yelling at the pretend aggressor that I honestly never considered the scenario that just occurred. The guy appeared seemingly out of nowhere and he was so aggressive and so close that the surprise and adrenaline elements are pretty hard to rehearse for.

NYJ- I have pepper spray and thought about that post incident. I also carry a tactical knife on a clip in my other pocket. If If I had to do it all over again (heaven forbid) the tool I'd most like to have is the most powerful taser money can buy. That way, if the aggressor got out of his car, I would have had a non-lethal but effective option, with less potential legal ramifications. Realistically however, a top end taser is much more bulky than my carry 45. A taser option would be worth considering if i could conceal and carry it as easily as my Kimber. High end units cost about one grand. The present plan is to retain the same routine and equipment.

Excellent questions gents. Stay safe.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

internetguy wrote:Excaliber- I train fairly regularly at the Dallas Pistol Club where I'm a member.
A lot of us are members there.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

Im glad things worked out but i have an obervation/question.

Im not so sure your threat of deadly force was justified as he was still in his vehicle.

Showing your handgun was in fact a threat of deadly force, and im not sure it was justified in that situation.

Heck im not even sure if you would have been justified in shooting an unarmed man walking toward you.

Id like to hear some opinions on this.

heres something i found online:

"The use of deadly force may be justified only to defend against force, or the threat of force of nearly equally severity, and is not justifiable unless the defendant reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself/herself) against death or serious bodily harm."

I guess if this is true, then the jury would have to be convinced that shooting the man was the only way to prevent death or serious bodily harm.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

internetguy wrote: "that depends entirely on what you do next"
I'm so using this at work. Great story - I like the way you handled it. If you have someone with you, have them call 9-1-1 as soon as he pulls up, and no love lost if he hears you.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

The OP apologized.

The OP demonstrated a clear-intent to defuse the situation.

The OP did not try to escalate the situation.

The OP immediately notified and cooperated with the Police.

I only hope that I would be able to act similarly in the same situation.

:hurry: Kudos to the OP!
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sugar land dave »

sugar land dave wrote:Nice! Good control of yourself and the situation. Good move calling immediately after the situation. Had you attempted to do so during, the BG might have escalated things during the distraction of the call.

You stopped the BG. Notified authorities. Everyone went home for another day. Big win!
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”