ATF going after shotguns now

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mgood
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ATF going after shotguns now

Post by mgood »

Purplehood wrote:I submit that the letter "F" be removed from BATFE. In my mind there is no purpose in regulating Firearms unless one is a convicted Felon or it can be demonstrated that an existing law is being violated. Those are all areas covered by varying levels of Law Enforcement already.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
hirundo82 wrote:Nothing that the ATF does couldn't be handled by other law enforcement agencies. Most of the things they police should constitutionally be handled by the states--gun sales, NFA items, criminal possession of firearms. Trafficking in alcohol and tobacco could be handled by the IRS (it's mostly a tax issue anyhow), and any related criminal activities could be handled fine by the DEA. Maybe send a few people over to the FBI to handle regulation of explosives.

The ATF's virtually only purpose is firearms--take that away and there is no reason for them to continue to exist.
Last edited by mgood on Tue May 03, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

mgood wrote:
Purplehood wrote:I submit that the letter "F" be removed from BATFE. In my mind there is no purpose in regulating Firearms unless one is a convicted Felon or it can be demonstrated that an existing law is being violated. Those are all areas covered by varying levels of Law Enforcement already.
hirundo82 wrote:Nothing that the ATF does couldn't be handled by other law enforcement agencies. Most of the things they police should constitutionally be handled by the states--gun sales, NFA items, criminal possession of firearms. Trafficking in alcohol and tobacco could be handled by the IRS (it's mostly a tax issue anyhow), and any related criminal activities could be handled fine by the DEA. Maybe send a few people over to the FBI to handle regulation of explosives.

The ATF's virtually only purpose is firearms--take that away and there is no reason for them to continue to exist.
In case it is not obvious. I agree.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

mgood

Post by mgood »

Purplehood wrote:
mgood wrote:

In case it is not obvious. I agree.
I was agreeing with both of you. Edited to make that more clear. ;-)

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Getting rid of the ATF would result in fewer guns being sent over the border, and fewer Border Patrol officers being shot. America just might be a safer place.

Remember Ruby Ridge ....
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Liberty wrote:

Getting rid of the ATF would result in fewer guns being sent over the border, and fewer Border Patrol officers being shot. America just might be a safer place.

Remember Ruby Ridge ....
I do. And I remember Waco, TX. In my mind those were both totally unnecessary incidents.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

Tax collectors gone wild :banghead:
"We want our $200 manufactures tax fee paid ..."
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

May 5, 2011

Dear Friend:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy, and I appreciate your perspective.

I am committed to making my Administration the most open and transparent in history, and part of delivering on that promise is hearing from people like you. I take seriously your opinions and respect your point of view on this important issue. Please know that your concerns will be on my mind in the days ahead.

Thank you, again, for writing. I encourage you to visit http://www.WhiteHouse.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to learn more about my Administration or to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

RPB wrote:May 5, 2011

Dear Friend:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy, and I appreciate your perspective.

I am committed to making my Administration the most open and transparent in history, and part of delivering on that promise is hearing from people like you. I take seriously your opinions and respect your point of view on this important issue. Please know that your concerns will be on my mind in the days ahead.

Thank you, again, for writing. I encourage you to visit http://www.WhiteHouse.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to learn more about my Administration or to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

In the words of a teenager, "I see your mouth moving but all I hear is blah blah blah"
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

philip964

Post by philip964 »

What now the only shotgun I want is a problem to get. Geez no wonder no one had one at the last gun show I attended.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

philip964 wrote:What now the only shotgun I want is a problem to get. Geez no wonder no one had one at the last gun show I attended.
I know! And the thing is, I wouldn't want one so much if the ATF hadn't told me I can't have one.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

whodat1

Post by whodat1 »

The Saiga 12 was selling around $500 three months ago. It is now selling for around $750. Even the threat of BATFE action is effecting the gun market drastically.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

Return to “Federal”