Bullet Trap

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 21

Bullet Trap

Post by sjfcontrol »

Went to the Bullet Trap in Plano this morning. The moment I went thru the range doors, I knew it wasn't going to be a pleasant shoot. It must have been at least 95 degrees in there.

After about 45 minutes, I was drenched, and done.

While checking out, I had the following conversation with the clerk (who I believe is a manager).

Me: "It's VERY hot back there."

Him: "Yep -- And going to get hotter!"

Me: "I take it that means you don't run the air conditioners back there."

Him: "Oh NO!"

Me: "I might as well shoot outside!"

Him: "Yep -- Though we do give some relief from the rain, and a simulated breeze, sorta"

At this point, I dropped it. I didn't bother pointing out that it didn't look like rain today, and the breeze outside would most likely be more comfortable than that created by the ventilation system.

I've also been there when it was so cold that after 20 minutes of having a 5 MPH 50 degree breeze blowing up my spine, I was so cold that I was shivering too hard to aim. I guess they figure "on average" the temperature is just right.

Oh, and by the way... If anybody asks, Yes, I do know how much it costs to heat/air condition the air in a shooting range.

Sorry, just venting. And I thought his responses were rude. If he had apologized, or even made up an excuse, at least I might feel a little better. His response left me flat.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Dave2
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Bullet Trap

Post by Dave2 »

I think I know which employee said that...

I live fairly close to them, so I go there usually once or twice a week to see if they've got anything that catches my eye. I've only used their range once, though, so I can't tell you if it's usually like that.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 12

Post by C-dub »

I've only been to two indoor ranges and neither have AC. The forum shoot at Elm Fork last month was fun and I liked the place.

So, ballpark, how much would it cost to have and indoor, properly ventilated, range like the Bullet Trap?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

C-dub wrote:I've only been to two indoor ranges and neither have AC. The forum shoot at Elm Fork last month was fun and I liked the place.

So, ballpark, how much would it cost to have and indoor, properly ventilated, range like the Bullet Trap?
A lot. It's not just a matter cooling all those cubic ft... Because of the lead, they have to either pay out the nose for good filters (and then pay more to maintenance them), or buy so much AC that the "return" vent can pull 120 degree outside air and vent the exhaust at the other end of the building. You know how parents like to chastise kids for leaving the door open and "air conditioning the city"? Well that's pretty much what the gun ranges have to do, and neither the cooling capacity or the electricity are cheap.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Huh, so the range fees would definitely go up for something like that. Elm Fork is looking better and better in the summer.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

A well designed and balanced ventilation system capable of handling 10 25-yard lanes will run about $3 per hour per lane. That includes gas, electricity and filters (HEPA and prefilters). Yes, AC is a problem but can be lessened by the proper use of Thermal transfer units (Heat Exchanger), so that your not just sucking in 100 degree air and dumping the cold air to the outside.
Last edited by sjfcontrol on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

C-dub wrote:Huh, so the range fees would definitely go up for something like that. Elm Fork is looking better and better in the summer.
Ehhh, Indoor ranges are inherently more expensive to build and operate than outdoor ranges. But, when properly designed, present a FAR more comfortable environment year round. However, you lose a LOT of that comfort if you cheap-out on the environmental controls.

I don't know if Bullet Trap has air conditioning that they refuse to use, or if they don't have it at all.
Never Forget. Image

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
C-dub wrote:Huh, so the range fees would definitely go up for something like that. Elm Fork is looking better and better in the summer.
Ehhh, Indoor ranges are inherently more expensive to build and operate than outdoor ranges. But, when properly designed, present a FAR more comfortable environment year round. However, you lose a LOT of that comfort if you cheap-out on the environmental controls.

I don't know if Bullet Trap has air conditioning that they refuse to use, or if they don't have it at all.
From the way one of their employees and I were talking about this very topic, I don't think they have it at all. That's just a guess, though. I don't remember the conversation that well.

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dave2 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

From the way one of their employees and I were talking about this very topic, I don't think they have it at all. That's just a guess, though. I don't remember the conversation that well.
As the facilities are 22 years old, it is entirely possible that either the AC doesn't exist, or it doesn't work. A shame. It will affect how often I use the place.

By the way, although there were a number of lanes in use when I arrived, when I left, (just before noon) there was only one other lane in use.
Never Forget. Image

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LeonCarr »

Did you let the employee know that you will not be using there facilities anymore due to them not taking care of the customer? Money is like your backside...it is yours and it is portable.

it is penny wise and pound stupid to run an indoor range for the public and not run or not fix the HVAC/ventilation system during the summer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Bass Pro doesn't have AC either. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter and they still have to close once or twice a year for a week or two to clean out the lead.

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

LeonCarr wrote:Did you let the employee know that you will not be using there facilities anymore due to them not taking care of the customer? Money is like your backside...it is yours and it is portable.

it is penny wise and pound stupid to run an indoor range for the public and not run or not fix the HVAC/ventilation system during the summer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
If he couldn't figure out that I was unhappy from my comment that I might as well be shooting outside (not to mention the sweat stains on my shirt), then I doubt that telling him I wouldn't be back would have much effect. Besides, they're about the only game in town, and I'm a member -- so I need to recoup my membership fees. Guess I'll just have to "aim" for more moderate weather when planning to use their facilities. :cryin

They have new owners (who are in hiding). Maybe they'll update their facilities someday.
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote:Bass Pro doesn't have AC either. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter and they still have to close once or twice a year for a week or two to clean out the lead.
Are you sure? I was in there with my wife a couple of weeks ago. It was hot as blazes outside, but the range was relatively comfortable. That may just be the AC from the rest of the store keeping the range from getting too hot, but after hearing multiple complaints of various types about the bullet trap, I won't likely spend any time there. Besides, Bass Pro is maybe 5 miles from my house if I need an indoor range, and I have a DPC membership for shooting outdoors.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxRVer »

I lived in Plano in the mid 90s when Bullet Trap had different owners. I remember times I was slightly uncomfortable but never very hot, or very cold.
Charlie

rentz

Post by rentz »

I can't shoot more than maybe an hour there without being drenched in sweat.
Went to elm fork on a 100deg day mid afternoon and was more comfortable since the bays are covered for shade and there was a breeze.

only benefits i see to indoors now is if the weather is bad, or if you just don't want to wait for cease fire.
Mainly I go to Bullettrap when i want to browse whats for sale or test fire some things.

If I had a dpc membership i'd probably never go anywhere else.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”