Wife wants to get CHL

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jayg0351
Posts in topic: 2

Wife wants to get CHL

Post by jayg0351 »

My wife wants to get a CHL now. I have had mine for 3 years now and she says she wants one. I am not sure she should have one due to her misplacing items, phone, keys purse and other items. Do you think the responsability of having a weapon with her daily would help cure of these habbits or should I just suggest she not get one.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife wants to get CHL

Post by AEA »

Every Legal citizen of Texas should have one!
Last edited by AEA on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I would encourage her to get her CHL.
If for no other reason than to go to the class, hopefully with a good instructor, to learn the laws that you have to abide by, when you are with her and why you don't go to certain locations.

For your issue of her misplacing things - My wife loses her keys, shoes and phone in our house every day, as she will never put them in the same place twice.
However, for a gun, she leaves it in her car, and never has purse or on-body carried.
However I would not have any apprehension for her to on-body or in-purse carry, as it would strictly stay in her purse, and I wouldn't think she would ever remove it, unless necessary for defense.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I'd say she should get one
But has advantages;
You can toss her your BUG
When someone asks why you carry a pink gun, you can say "It's hers" :evil2:

She'll have another accomplishment to be proud of
She'll feel like she has more in common with you, thereby making her feel closer to you
(Remember ... women have "feelings" )

If you decide instead to tell her she isn't mentally stable enough to get one .... be sure I'm not in Conroe that day, I don't wanna be around a woman with hurt feelings :mrgreen:

I'd support her and praise her and let her feel like we had more in common

etc
Last edited by RPB on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
jayg0351

Post by jayg0351 »

All good point to think on. Thanks

marinemom

Post by marinemom »

definately have her get the CHL
:patriot:
Semper Fi

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

There are some great instructors in the Conroe area! Get her on here to study up and learn from those of us that are learning as we go, (although you might want to delete that crazy question first). There are also monthly women's classes in defensive pistol in the Conroe area monthly as well.

Congratulations on her decision to take the responsibility of her protection into her own hands! :hurry:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Chalk up another vote for having her get her CHL. My wife and I took the class at the same time. She wasn't that thrilled with shooting before that (though she wasn't against it either). Now she enjoys shooting and just this past week asked me to go ahead and submit her paperwork. Frankly, I can't wait till her plastic comes back. It'll be nice to know that when she's out helping her patients, should something happen she will at least have a chance to defend herself and come home safe.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

jayg0351 wrote:My wife wants to get a CHL now. I have had mine for 3 years now and she says she wants one. I am not sure she should have one due to her misplacing items, phone, keys purse and other items. Do you think the responsability of having a weapon with her daily would help cure of these habbits or should I just suggest she not get one.
My wife looses things all the time. Sunglasses, keys, phone, all the same as yours. I have to take them to her at work occasionally.
She has never misplaced her gun. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Her 2A rights are the same as yours. She obviously had no problem when you got a CHL.
she feels safer with you having a CHL and now as times are getting more dangerous she wants that feeling of security when you are not around.
It can also improve a marriage, when you both carry you are much more polite and de-esculate problems more readily.
I also admit to loosing things easily but I always know where the arsenal is stashed.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Barbi Q

Post by Barbi Q »

If it's in a holster on her body it's pretty hard to misplace. It's not like a phone or lipstick that you take out and use several times a day.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I would say, she's an adult, and she doesn't even need your permission to get one, let alone your approval. Be glad that she does, and cooperate with her interest. My wife has lost her keys before, but she has never, ever misplaced her gun. She's too afraid of the potential consequences if she did. I suspect your wife would be the same.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tx_XDm

Post by Tx_XDm »

Encourage her to take a basic handgun class if she is not familiar with handguns and then do the CHL Class.
CHL since 09/21/2011
NRA Member
TSRA Member

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

The MUCH better half and I took ours together. I would have taken mine a lot earlier, but she wanted to do it together. Then I saw Justin advertise a 'couples special' class and once I showed that to her she finally was ready to go do it. We had fun and she did get a sense of accomplishment about it. She was texting people on the way home to tell them she had passed (which I knew she would).
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Wfahey

Post by Wfahey »

My Mrs is looking forward to taking the CHL class and getting a gun of her own. She is a nurse in the US Army Reserves and loves when her unit heads out to the range for live fire. She qualified 'expert' so they made her a range master on the last rotation. :thumbs2:

Return to “New to CHL?”