[Pre-paid legal service] vs CHL Protection Plan

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 4

Re: [Pre-paid legal service] vs CHL Protection Plan

Post by wgoforth »

bowserb wrote:
wgoforth wrote:US Concealed Carry Asc has an interesting sounding coverage https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/self-d ... pgrade.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I took a look there. Several years ago I was a member of USCCA. After the management demonstrated questionable judgment in its editorial policy, publishing an article that many, many people considered innapropriate and at the very least in incredibly bad taste--and then issued a non-apology--I let my membership lapse.

My question about this "shield"--and one on which I could find no info, since part of their website is not functioning--is what are the financial resources behind the Foundation? Since their links a broken today, all I can find out is that the Platinum plan which is normally $297, is now on sale for $77. If it were real, that would be a remarkable bargain compared to, say, the NRA plan. The key to any insurance is the financial strength of the company. If USCCA Foundation has $15,000 in cash and CD's, then how much help can it really provide? So, you call for $25,000 in legal assistance, because you just shot a BG, and you've been taken downtown for questioning and the BG's "fiance" has a lawyer ready to file the lawsuit, what does USCCA Foundation do? Write you a check or file Chapter 13?

If the USCCA plan is underwritten by a major insurance company, then that should be prominently advertised in their promotions. Since it is not so advertised, I can only assume that its resources consist of fees paid by members. At least the NRA-endorsed plan has an A.M. Best-rated insurance company on the hook, although they could bail as well.

As much as I have searched, I have not been able to find a story of anyone being assisted by any of the prepaid legal or insurance plans. I'll grant you, the probability of needing one is low, so the chances of finding anyone on any of the forums who has used one is even lower. Still, I'd prefer to not throw away money on a scam if I can avoid it!
If you go back to the link, there is a video about 1/2 way down that explains it all.. it is insured through Meadowbrook ins. Liability up to $300,000. NRA reimburses, rather than providing you with an attorney as some of the other plans do, such as CHLP that I currently have.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tx_XDm
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tx_XDm »

The USCCA Self-Defense Shield dose not sound half bad it is pricey but seems to cover nearly all the basis.
CHL since 09/21/2011
NRA Member
TSRA Member

bowserb
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bowserb »

Just found another one from a Tom Gresham show at last year's NRA convention:

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that's all I know about that one!
Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

bowserb wrote:Just found another one from a Tom Gresham show at last year's NRA convention:

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that's all I know about that one!
Tom's a great guy. I don't know if he was endorsing it or not, but if he was, I would have some confidence in it.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Tx_XDm wrote:The USCCA Self-Defense Shield dose not sound half bad it is pricey but seems to cover nearly all the basis.
I am a member, for now, of the USCCA. I chose to not use this "coverage", because of the fine print. You are getting no money up front. You have to apply for a "grant" to get fees paid. On top of that, they do not provide experienced lawyers automatically. You need to either have one on retainer, or you can use their list of lawyers friendly to CHL. I promise you, if I get arrested for having to use my weapon, I do not want to sit in jail while I am trying to find a lawyer, and then have to apply for a grant to get some money. I want to be with a company that has a 1-800 number to call, which then provides a lawyer, and does not look for any money. For that reason, I have both the [Pre-paid legal service] and CHL protection program. With the two of those combined, I am covered for using my weapon in Texas, and any state with reciprocity. I am covered against criminal as well as civil...all the way to aquittal or conviction.

I have to be honest, I am not sure why I joined USCCA. I was new to the concealed carry thing, and I was looking for all the information I could find. What I found with USCCA was that I get a lot of high-pressure sales pitches to buy his product, his brother's product, his father's product (no kidding) and so on. Now I get about two emails a day about this self-defense plan. I am really getting tired of it. I also joined FrontSight and get nothing but high pressure sales emails, and "Captain Chris'" Close Combat Training and get nothing but high pressure sales emails...I guess I am a little bit of a sucker. If good close combat fighting was as simple as "Captain Chris" makes it out to be, then I have to wonder why it takes about a hundred different DVDs to teach it. Why does "Captain Chris" sell a $800+ course that allows you to proudly display a certificate saying you are a qualified instructor of his Close Combat Techniques...when you could be a bed-bound 90 year old that simply wanted a new action DVD series to watch, and you never have to show one ounce of proficiency. I guess the fact that you have almost a grand to drop makes you a proficient something or another...shill, mark? Why is USCAA located in Wisconsin that, until very recently, was a non-CHL state? Why is FrontSight in California where I would not travel to in the first place since they are so CHL unfriendly. Why, why, why? :grumble

Why does Rob Pincus, with the Personal Defense Network, suggest you store your home defense weapon unloaded? I really can't figure that one out since most of the stuff he says seems to be good. :confused5

OK, sorry, thread hijacking just took place. I guess that has been building up for awhile. I hope I don't sound like a :drool: idiot.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

johnson0317 wrote:
Tx_XDm wrote:The USCCA Self-Defense Shield dose not sound half bad it is pricey but seems to cover nearly all the basis.
I am a member, for now, of the USCCA. I chose to not use this "coverage", because of the fine print. You are getting no money up front. You have to apply for a "grant" to get fees paid. On top of that, they do not provide experienced lawyers automatically. You need to either have one on retainer, or you can use their list of lawyers friendly to CHL. I promise you, if I get arrested for having to use my weapon, I do not want to sit in jail while I am trying to find a lawyer, and then have to apply for a grant to get some money. I want to be with a company that has a 1-800 number to call, which then provides a lawyer, and does not look for any money. For that reason, I have both the [Pre-paid legal service] and CHL protection program. With the two of those combined, I am covered for using my weapon in Texas, and any state with reciprocity. I am covered against criminal as well as civil...all the way to aquittal or conviction.

I have to be honest, I am not sure why I joined USCCA. I was new to the concealed carry thing, and I was looking for all the information I could find. What I found with USCCA was that I get a lot of high-pressure sales pitches to buy his product, his brother's product, his father's product (no kidding) and so on. Now I get about two emails a day about this self-defense plan. I am really getting tired of it. I also joined FrontSight and get nothing but high pressure sales emails, and "Captain Chris'" Close Combat Training and get nothing but high pressure sales emails...I guess I am a little bit of a sucker. If good close combat fighting was as simple as "Captain Chris" makes it out to be, then I have to wonder why it takes about a hundred different DVDs to teach it. Why does "Captain Chris" sell a $800+ course that allows you to proudly display a certificate saying you are a qualified instructor of his Close Combat Techniques...when you could be a bed-bound 90 year old that simply wanted a new action DVD series to watch, and you never have to show one ounce of proficiency. I guess the fact that you have almost a grand to drop makes you a proficient something or another...shill, mark? Why is USCAA located in Wisconsin that, until very recently, was a non-CHL state? Why is FrontSight in California where I would not travel to in the first place since they are so CHL unfriendly. Why, why, why? :grumble

Why does Rob Pincus, with the Personal Defense Network, suggest you store your home defense weapon unloaded? I really can't figure that one out since most of the stuff he says seems to be good. :confused5

OK, sorry, thread hijacking just took place. I guess that has been building up for awhile. I hope I don't sound like a :drool: idiot.

RJ
Front Sight's training facility is in Pahrump, NV. USCAA's magazine is edited by Kathy Jackson who lives and instructs in WA state. NRA's insurance is the same way...no lawyer and reimburse after it's all done.
NRA Life Member

texas-sig
Posts in topic: 3

Post by texas-sig »

So from all the reading [Pre-paid legal service] seems to be the "best" out there according to most people.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

wgoforth wrote: Front Sight's training facility is in Pahrump, NV. USCAA's magazine is edited by Kathy Jackson who lives and instructs in WA state. NRA's insurance is the same way...no lawyer and reimburse after it's all done.
I wasn't comparing the NRA program, but it is good to know of the deficits. The USCCA mag is probably the best thing about it.
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

hpcatx

Re: NRA's endorsed "self defense" coverage

Post by hpcatx »

bowserb wrote:Other observations: ...
Concealed Carry Legal Services - Their contact page has a typo in the name (says "Contract Us" instead of "Contact Us"). Don't lawyers live to proofread?
Freudian slip... they want you to contact them, so you can pay for a contract with them. lol.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

bowserb
Posts in topic: 5

Still no help after the shooting?

Post by bowserb »

So, we have three pages of posts on the subject, yet it is not resolved--at least for me it isn't. I think we have these so far:

* [Pre-paid legal service] out of Houston/Clear Lake http://www.[Pre-paid legal service].com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* CHL Protection Plan in Dallas http://www.chlpp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network Onalaska, WA http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* Concealed Carry Legal Services Houston http://www.concealedcarrylegal.com/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* USCCA Self Defense Shield [Location unknown] https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/self-d ... pgrade.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* NRA-endorsed Self Defense coverage Kansas City, MO http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frankly, I find none of these plans particularly compelling. Nonetheless, I need to do something. Concealed Carry Legal Services seems to be part of a Houston Law firm. Same with [Pre-paid legal service]. I'm thinking seriously about just driving to their offices. [Pre-paid legal service] office is approximately 45 miles from my house across town. Concealed Carry Legal is only 26 miles--in a different direction of course. There is something about a face to face. Maybe it's the old "I know where you live" implied threat, or maybe it's just getting comfortable with the people you are potentially trusting your personal and financial future with. I'll report back here what I find.
Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Still no help after the shooting?

Post by knotquiteawake »

bowserb wrote:
Frankly, I find none of these plans particularly compelling. Nonetheless, I need to do something. Concealed Carry Legal Services seems to be part of a Houston Law firm. Same with [Pre-paid legal service]. I'm thinking seriously about just driving to their offices. [Pre-paid legal service] office is approximately 45 miles from my house across town. Concealed Carry Legal is only 26 miles--in a different direction of course. There is something about a face to face. Maybe it's the old "I know where you live" implied threat, or maybe it's just getting comfortable with the people you are potentially trusting your personal and financial future with. I'll report back here what I find.
Please let us know what your impressions are. I've been carrying for a month now and have still yet to make a final decision on any kind of service like that.

Tx_XDm

Post by Tx_XDm »

knotquiteawake wrote:
bowserb wrote:
Please let us know what your impressions are. I've been carrying for a month now and have still yet to make a final decision on any kind of service like that.
+1 on letting us know what you find out. I plan on going with one of the two and might look into something to cover me in other states if and when the need arises.
Last edited by Tx_XDm on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 09/21/2011
NRA Member
TSRA Member

ddg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ddg »

Is there anyone on the board that has actually had to use the service from [pre-paid legal]?

They said they had five (5) active cases running right now. Those are the folks I want to talk to.

If I missed this aspect of the post somwhere, my apologies in advance.

I don't mind the cost of less than 200.00 but I would like to know that I get a return on the investment if it is needed.

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

bowserb wrote:Concealed Carry Legal Services seems to be part of a Houston Law firm. Same with [Pre-paid legal service]. I'm thinking seriously about just driving to their offices.
It appears that the plan fees cover the retainer and basic legal representation, but not court costs, expert witness fees, and other expenses (depositions, etc). The other programs, while they reimburse you after the fact, may cover the costs of these sorts of things. Something to ask these guys if you do go see them in person.
knotquiteawake wrote:Please let us know what your impressions are. I've been carrying for a month now and have still yet to make a final decision on any kind of service like that.
:iagree: In the same boat and very interested in the consensus of forum members.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The NRA insurance is a reimbursement policy because it is against public policy in Texas and every other state to insure against criminal conduct.

I have mixed emotions about pre-paid legal plans being discussed on TexasCHLforum. It's a legitimate discussion and many of our Members are certainly interested. On the other hand, we had to ban two "Members" who are connected with one of the plans because he/they joined solely to promote their program under the guise of responding to questions. They painted rosy pictures about the plan, but never responded to questions about what isn't covered/provided.

I realize that I probably look at such plans differently because I'm an attorney, but make sure you know what you are buying; what is provided and, more importantly, what isn't provided. Try to find out something about the experience of the attorney(s) who will represent you at what may well be the worst time and worst problem of your life. After doing your homework, if you want to buy a pre-paid legal plan then by all means, do so. You may also want to get the NRA insurance to reimburse you for all of the expenses you'll have to pay out of your pocket.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”