Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United States

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Post by rp_photo »

[quote="Dave2]The only way to keep bombs off planes is to not let anything or anyone (they might've stuck it in a place "where the sun don't shine") on the plane in the first place, and that sorta defeats the purpose.[/quote]

Exactly the same reason why gun "free" zones are bad and CHL is good.

Criminals are going to do as they please so maximizing opportunity and minimizing incovnenience for the good guys makes the most sense.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldSchool »

rp_photo wrote:How ironic that the Patriot Act mostly persecutes honest patriots.
They're just making sure we live up to our promises.... :???:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Lonest4r
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lonest4r »

I wonder if Tom Cruise is the one who arrests you if you commit this "pre-crime" :biggrinjester: All joking aside, I think that this may be more effective than traditional measures. Emotions and behaviors are much harder to conceal than weapons.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

loadedliberal wrote:
rp_photo wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:What do you suggest we do?
A good start would be for Texas to not cave to the TSA/DHS and call their bluff as far as the anti-pat down legislation.

Ditto for the EPA and all the other ways Washington is trying to punish Texas.
Again what do you suggest we do that would help with security. And how is washington trying to "punish Texas"
Through benign neglect.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Dave2 wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:
rp_photo wrote:Like most other intrusive law enforcement practices, it will incovenience and "false positive" good people while having little effect on wrongdoers.

Wake up, sheeple!
What do you suggest we do?
See, that's the catch. If someone really wants to bring down a plane, there's not much we can do to stop them. It's kinda like the "analog loophole" for music piracy -- the music files can have all the fancy DRM in the world, but that can't stop me from sticking a DI box in front of the speakers and pushing the record button. The only way to keep bombs off planes is to not let anything or anyone (they might've stuck it in a place "where the sun don't shine") on the plane in the first place, and that sorta defeats the purpose.

You guys realize that there is a much higher risk of the cargo taking a plane down than a passenger, right?

A vast majority of the cargo stuffed in the belly of airplanes are not inspected, the shippers are being 'trusted' to keep their cargo secure...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

PBratton wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:
rp_photo wrote:Like most other intrusive law enforcement practices, it will incovenience and "false positive" good people while having little effect on wrongdoers.

Wake up, sheeple!
What do you suggest we do?
See, that's the catch. If someone really wants to bring down a plane, there's not much we can do to stop them. It's kinda like the "analog loophole" for music piracy -- the music files can have all the fancy DRM in the world, but that can't stop me from sticking a DI box in front of the speakers and pushing the record button. The only way to keep bombs off planes is to not let anything or anyone (they might've stuck it in a place "where the sun don't shine") on the plane in the first place, and that sorta defeats the purpose.

You guys realize that there is a much higher risk of the cargo taking a plane down than a passenger, right?

A vast majority of the cargo stuffed in the belly of airplanes are not inspected, the shippers are being 'trusted' to keep their cargo secure...
:iagree: And when you couple that with the high rate of TSA failures to detect, based on their own tests of their screening process, most of the "security" that anyone feels on an airplane has limited basis in fact. The huge presence of uniformed employees and the impressive looking equipment in the screening process definitely will scare off the dumbest of those who might want to try to take down an airplane. It isn't going to faze the smart ones.

We are playing one heck of a price in dollars, dignity and freedom for a limited deterrent effect. The pre-crime machine looks like it has the potential to snare even more innocent travelers than the backscatter x-ray does.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

fulano

Post by fulano »

Wow! A 'tell' machine! I wonder if its banned in Vegas at the poker tables :headscratch
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

loadedliberal wrote:
rp_photo wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:What do you suggest we do?
A good start would be for Texas to not cave to the TSA/DHS and call their bluff as far as the anti-pat down legislation.

Ditto for the EPA and all the other ways Washington is trying to punish Texas.
Again what do you suggest we do that would help with security. And how is washington trying to "punish Texas"

Follow the Constitution of the United States of America even when it's inconvenient.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

A terrorist is going to be able to avoid the profiling

with a little training in body language

and innocent people will be subject to scrutiny

What's next big brother
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Hard core killers or trained pro do not exhibit elevated anxiety. They act as trained in cold blood.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

EconDoc

Post by EconDoc »

Somebody was wondering why folks on the Right would endorse this. The thing to remember is that both the left and the right (liberals, so called, and conservatives) may often have totalitarian tendencies. The only folks who will stand foresquare against this sort of thing are the libertarians.
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

boba

Post by boba »

loadedliberal wrote:Two words, Patriot Act
A rare example of truth in government. Their supposed patriotism is an act. They don't respect the US Constitution or US Citizens.

karl

Post by karl »

All this talk of taking down airplanes has me curious. Why are terrorists expected to hijack another plane with all the scrutiny? As far as I know, detonating a bomb in the middle of hundreds of Christmas travelers waiting in line to be examined would be more productive in terrorizing the citizens of this country. But since our legislators are so convinced these methods work, we might as well start putting these checkpoints at our front doors. Every time you walk out of your house you'll be subjected to a pat down. It's for the good of the public, folks. These security measures are as necessary as big government.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

karl wrote:All this talk of taking down airplanes has me curious. Why are terrorists expected to hijack another plane with all the scrutiny? As far as I know, detonating a bomb in the middle of hundreds of Christmas travelers waiting in line to be examined would be more productive in terrorizing the citizens of this country. But since our legislators are so convinced these methods work, we might as well start putting these checkpoints at our front doors. Every time you walk out of your house you'll be subjected to a pat down. It's for the good of the public, folks. These security measures are as necessary as big government.
Many army generals have wanted to fight the last war. I see the anti-terror campaign as being no different. The terrorists try new things and the security people simply add those things to the list of items that they say that they are addressing.

There will be shock and dismay when the next attack bears no resemblance to the previous attacks. In the mean time, we have an ever growing bureaucracy to condition us toward instant compliance. Secretly, everyone knows that the next terrorist agents will be wheel chair bound octogenarians in soiled diapers and six year old girls.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

karl wrote:All this talk of taking down airplanes has me curious. Why are terrorists expected to hijack another plane with all the scrutiny? As far as I know, detonating a bomb in the middle of hundreds of Christmas travelers waiting in line to be examined would be more productive in terrorizing the citizens of this country. But since our legislators are so convinced these methods work, we might as well start putting these checkpoints at our front doors. Every time you walk out of your house you'll be subjected to a pat down. It's for the good of the public, folks. These security measures are as necessary as big government.
This happened somewhere in Russia. Attackers would seek to inflict mass casualties where they can. This is why I avoid large scale events.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Federal”