CARRY Question, SIG P38 vs Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec etc

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CARRY Question, SIG P38 vs Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec etc

Post by Jumping Frog »

texaspirate wrote:I have a sig 226 and LOVE IT, it doesnt fail... and its flawless in construction... so Im partial.
If you are partial to Sigs, you should at least consider the P290. If you are looking at subcompact, single stack 9's like the LC9, compare them to the P290. . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
texaspirate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texaspirate »

This is ALL tremendously Helpful and Great feedback, keep it coming..

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

for a sub-compact - Kahr PM9, CM9, MK9, CW9.......

the ultimate smoothest DA trigger on the market (cam action), accurate, well balanced (low bore axis due to offset feed ramp), reliable, and very easy to carry.

I fought the urge to even consider a Kahr for many years until I traded for a CW9 a couple of years ago. No looking back!
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 8

Post by wgoforth »

If you haven't yet, google "Review +whatever gun" and you will find scads of reviews of about every gun on the market. Same with youtube reviews. On youtube, a guy who goes by nutnfancy has lots of good ones, and compares guns in the same catagory. a website, http://www.gunblast.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; gives good reviews too.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
texaspirate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texaspirate »

You Guys have ANY THOUGHTS on the P250 2 SUM Smaller gun option as a carry? I found a combo brand new for 440 dollars in 9 mm... Thoughts????

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 8

Post by wgoforth »

texaspirate wrote:You Guys have ANY THOUGHTS on the P250 2 SUM Smaller gun option as a carry? I found a combo brand new for 440 dollars in 9 mm... Thoughts????
They aren't ~bad~...it's an interesting modular unit.. it's not really 2 guns, but two frames you remove the firing unit from one and pop in the other. Of course now your at a polymer frame if that's what you want, rather than traditional steel/alloy of most others sigs. But should be fine, a matter of want you want and need.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KahrGuy

Post by KahrGuy »

My absolute favorite sub/micro compact is the Kahr PM9. Next, if wanting even smaller, definitely the Kahr P380 - but break-in and ammo choice are picky for this last one! I'm definitely a hard core Kahr fan and follower.

The Kahr CM9 is a new, cheaper version of PM9, but if $ wasn't an issue, the PM9 with Night Sights is worth every Penny IMHO. I would recommend the Kahr over LC9 model - if anything, at least due to trigger and safety difference.
KahrGuy
CHL January 2010

boba

Post by boba »

mr surveyor wrote:for a sub-compact - Kahr PM9, CM9, MK9, CW9.......
Good choice.

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hpcatx »

mr surveyor wrote:for a sub-compact - Kahr PM9, CM9, MK9, CW9.......

the ultimate smoothest DA trigger on the market (cam action), accurate, well balanced (low bore axis due to offset feed ramp), reliable, and very easy to carry.

I fought the urge to even consider a Kahr for many years until I traded for a CW9 a couple of years ago. No looking back!
G26TR wrote:My absolute favorite sub/micro compact is the Kahr PM9. Next, if wanting even smaller, definitely the Kahr P380 - but break-in and ammo choice are picky for this last one! I'm definitely a hard core Kahr fan and follower.
I have to qualify a prior response. As previously stated, I own and would recommend the LC9 -- but for me price was certainly a consideration and I have other carry guns chambered in 9mm. Since cost is not a concern for you, I would reiterate the others suggesting that you check out the Kahr PM9.

While smaller than 9mm, I recently picked up a P380 as a BUG. In response to G26TR comments (and I've read similar statements elsewhere), I have had no issues with the break-in period/ammo selection so far. Only one outing to the range yet, but it has 175 rounds flawlessly through it. I'm quickly becoming a hard core "Kahr fan and follower," too.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

doc540

Post by doc540 »

New convert to the LC9 and I've been carrying concealed for 30 years.

VERY accurate
thin profile
compact
external safety (if you prefer to carry that way)
8 round capacity
9mm
Crimson Trace compatible

YMMV

first 7 rounds downrange with it
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

A-R

Post by A-R »

Is OP looking for a true pocket carry gun (if so, look here http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

or is OP looking for a smaller (perhaps also slimmer) gun for some kind of belt carry?

If the latter, add the Walther PPS to your list of guns to consider. It can be pocket carried (like a baby Glock "can" be) but it's not ideal unless you have huge pockets. But it's amazingly thin and amazingly accurate for it's size and barrel length. In an inside the waistband holster (crossbreed, comp-tac, etc) it disappears - and can be carried with shirt tucked in completely concealed. Size is similar to Ruger LC9, Taurus 709 "slim", Kel Tec PF9, and the P/CW/K series Kahr guns, but it "fits" me better because of more pronounced grip frame "beaver tail" than the others.

for a true pocket gun in 9mm, I think you're stuck with the Kahrs or perhaps the Sig 290 (though I've been unimpressed with the ergonomics of the Sig - doesn't fit the hand well at all). in .380 many more choices, as already discussed.

also there's always the venerable snub-nose .38/.357 revolver for pocket carry - Smith & Wesson J-frame, Ruger LCR, etc.

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

texaspirate wrote:You Guys have ANY THOUGHTS on the P250 2 SUM Smaller gun option as a carry? I found a combo brand new for 440 dollars in 9 mm... Thoughts????

I had this set up and did not care for the concealability, the gun is to wide. I was able to carry a midsize gun just as well.

It would be very hard to beat a Sig P238 for a good BUG or smaller carry gun (remember, the "perfect" carry gun is the one you have ON YOU when you need it). Also Kahr makes a P380 that works well but the slide is harder thus requires more practice to master.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

rl168

Post by rl168 »

wgoforth wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:Your intended carry method (pocket, ankle, IWB, OWB, etc...) and how the gun feels in your hand, particularly when firing it, should be the deciding factors. I don't really disagree with anything WGOFORTH mentions on this issue and my wife has a P238 but I have an S&W Bodyguard .380 in my carry rotation. The reason I have the Bodyguard is that I can pocket carry it in just about any pair of pants I have. I cannot do this with the P238, but I like shooting it better than the Bodyguard.

Keep in mind that depending on circumstances it is not that difficult to conceal a full sized pistol. Using a CompTac MTAC (or presumably a Cross Breed Super Tuck, Tucker Anser, Galco King Tuk and the like) I can conceal a full sized M&P 9 pretty well under a tucked shirt. For casual outings, church and the like this is my preferred carry choice. The .380 serves in places where potential scrutiny is greater / more continuous, like the workplace.
Lol, I first read this as "I don't agree with anything wgoforth mentions..." And I'm thinking "whaaaa??" Yes, Bodyguard is a nice peice. It fact it was my personal carry until my wife handled the P238 and liked it. Got hers and tried it and was amazed at how smooth and accurate it was...so I got one! I am big on saying spouses should have matching guns so if they accidentally grab each others during a firefight or accidentally grab one anothers mags there isn't a problem or a moment of confusion.

If you search the web on the P238, you will find lots of complaints early one. These have been corrected for the past year.. changed the recoil spring design and the magazine....so don't get an older used one without considering the replacement cost of those.

My wife's is on the top, mine is on the bottom. Note extended mag which allows all 4 fingers to grip and extra round (I have a small hand).

Does the extended mag comes with the gun or do you have to buy separately? Do you have the part number for it? Thanks!

gemini

Post by gemini »

Part number for rl168:
I have a new one (mag), in original package. On front above a bar code " MAG-238-380-7-X, MAGAZINE 238,380, 7RD, X-GRIP"
On package back, bottom right corner "PN 8590013".
Hope this helps you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”