Questions for security pros

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Questions for security pros

Post by MadMonkey »

txcshooter wrote:I'm considering on becoming an armed commissioned security guard, my question is what equipment is issued to you besides the uniform, if any?
That is HIGHLY dependent on the company. Some require you to use their weapons and gear, some require you to have your own. You should find out their requirements first.

I have my own set of duty gear in case I ever have to go back to security. I highly recommend doing the same... it's not that big of an investment.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

txcshooter
Posts in topic: 5

Post by txcshooter »

MadMonkey wrote:
txcshooter wrote:I'm considering on becoming an armed commissioned security guard, my question is what equipment is issued to you besides the uniform, if any?
That is HIGHLY dependent on the company. Some require you to use their weapons and gear, some require you to have your own. You should find out their requirements first.

I have my own set of duty gear in case I ever have to go back to security. I highly recommend doing the same... it's not that big of an investment.
Thanks for the quick response! :thumbs2: Do you think a G19 is sufficient?
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by papajohn1964 »

Anything "G" will be more than sufficient! :cheers2: I have talked to a couple of companies here in SA that require a level III holster so keep that in mind. With the exception of the Government contract that I was on all of the companies that I have talked to require you to have your own gear and firearm. Some of them even want you to supply your own uniforms, they just give you one of their patches.

I am definately starting to rethink this industry though. Working as a bank guard, carrying your own weapon and using your own gear, working 6 days a week for $10.00 and hour? My BIL works at Wally World and makes that AND he has bennies......
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

If you hate people (like me), it's hard to beat night shift security though. My current job feels more like WalMart than any security job I had "rlol"

TXCshooter, as Papajohn said a G19 is fine. As for the holster, I have a Safariland 6360 that I LOVE (Level III)... takes barely any practice to be proficient with it (that does NOT mean stop practicing though) and though it's a little on the expensive side, it's solidly built and worth it IMHO. If you have to skimp on anything, make it your glove holder, key holder, handcuff holder, ANYTHING but the holster (that means no Serpas! Bad security guard, BAD! *smack with newspaper* :biggrinjester:).

As for the industry, try Linkedin and Craigslist. Make connections. You can find jobs that pay well.. my last one was working night shift at Austin Country Club; very quiet and peaceful. Prior to that, night shift at a DFW office building... again, quiet and peaceful. Some of the jobs definitely suck, but some are awesome. The pay is rarely going to be over 30k, but I can live off of that just fine.

I have a weird feeling that I'll be doing that again at some point in the future when I'm tired of sand "rlol"

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

Thanks MadMonkey & PapaJohn for y'alls help. :thumbs2: I have a better understanding of what I need and some things I didn't even think about. Like the glove holder, I'm assuming that's for rubber gloves for a just incase?

As of right now, I planning on taking a security guard class in Houston next month. But really not looking to work in the industry until about May. My wife and I are looking to move back to SA around that time. How are the securtiy jobs there PapaJohn?

Grog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grog »

Just about every job I've seen advertised said you needed your own gun & gear. In a way it's your employer taking the cheap way out. On the other hand, they could take the cheap way by issuing you a $10 holster and an old Model 10 with 158gr RNL. This way I was able to piece together what I want.

In NC the company is required to issue you a duty weapon, and that worked out for me because the entire contract (300-400 officers) was mandated to carry a Glock 22.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

If anything like the LE world, it will depend on where your hired.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

Grog wrote:Just about every job I've seen advertised said you needed your own gun & gear.
I know what you mean. I was on Craigslist last night like MadMonkey suggested, and I noticed that too. I also noticed that there are alot more jobs in Houston than San Antonio.

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

gigag04 wrote:
If anything like the LE world, it will depend on where your hired.
Thanks gigag04, I noticed that lastnight. Guess I have some investing to do. :mrgreen:

Off-topic sidenote: This is my actual 100th post! :anamatedbanana :woohoo :thewave

papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by papajohn1964 »

TXCshooter, as Papajohn said a G19 is fine. As for the holster, I have a Safariland 6360 that I LOVE (Level III)... takes barely any practice to be proficient with it (that does NOT mean stop practicing though) and though it's a little on the expensive side, it's solidly built and worth it IMHO. If you have to skimp on anything, make it your glove holder, key holder, handcuff holder, ANYTHING but the holster (that means no Serpas! Bad security guard, BAD! *smack with newspaper* :biggrinjester:).

Whats wrong with Serpas? I have a level III and I like it, of course the only thing I have to compare it to is a Uncle Mikes that we were issued at Ft Sam for our M-9s, I hated the twist thing on those....
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

papajohn1964 wrote:Whats wrong with Serpas? I have a level III and I like it, of course the only thing I have to compare it to is a Uncle Mikes that we were issued at Ft Sam for our M-9s, I hated the twist thing on those....
The Serpa mechanism design has bothered me for a while because of using the trigger finger to press inward on the release. One came with my M&P40, and even though I didn't like it I practiced with it for a while because I hate being uncomfortable with any equipment I have. Some people claim that "sweeping" the release is the way to go, but my fingers must be built differently because it doesn't work consistently for me. I still require a light press to release the gun.

One day I was practicing, and concentrating specifically on keeping my finger indexed along the frame. I don't know if I had a slightly different grip, a slightly different angle on the draw that made me "twitch" or what, but the instant my gun cleared the holster my finger snapped into the trigger guard and pulled the trigger halfway back before I could recover :shock:

I've heard stories about it happening but wasn't sure if people were trying to cover for stupidity. But if I can be concentrating specifically on NOT doing that and STILL do it, there's no way I'd use that same holster under stress. It might be my build, my finger length/design, or some other factor, but I just can't trust that design. I've had no issues with other holsters that don't require any trigger-finger manipulation, and I'll be sticking with those. I'd rather it stay straight out and use my thumb to release a hood or push a button.

Hope that made sense. If you do carry a Serpa, I just recommend that you practice with it a LOT.

EDIT: I've also met/seen a LOT of military guys who use/recommend the Serpa. Now that I'm here in Afghanistan, I've been to a couple of PX's and seen that they're usually the only holster available... which explains a bit (to me anyway). I can't see a lot of the guys ordering a more expensive holster when that one is right in front of them. I could be wrong though.

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert, and these are simply my personal feelings.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

papajohn1964 wrote:Whats wrong with Serpas? I have a level III and I like it, of course the only thing I have to compare it to is a Uncle Mikes that we were issued at Ft Sam for our M-9s, I hated the twist thing on those....
If you send 10 minutes browsing the links that come up with suarez international serpa holster you'll see that Suarez International plus many other training schools ban the use of Serpa holsters.

If I believe what I see browsing the net (an important caveat!!), a small excerpt of training schools combined with comments banning the Serpa includes

Suarez International
Gunsite
Tactical Response (James Yaeger)
KR Training, Austin - http://www.krtraining.com/Newsletters/July2009news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Todd Green of Pistol Training.com says the following for his classes:
• Duty, range, or concealment holster with suitable gunbelt (SERPA holsters strongly discouraged)

Sully of Defensive Edge and SLR15 had the following to say on his forum http://www.TacticalReality.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you have to register to read that forum)

The Blackhawk SERPA holster can be problematic. I had some Canadian Mounties attend a class I was teaching in Reno at the IALEFI conference. We were shooting from all sorts of positions in the desert. What resulted was a SERPA holter getting jambed full of enough earth that his Glock couldn't be removed. We had to beat the handgun from the holster. Look at something different, some like the Safariland SLS, my preference for a duty belt is the Safariland SSIII 070.

BLACKHAWK SERPA HOLSTER
I have witnessed and been informed of several problems with this holster. First, it is carbon fiber holster with a trigger finger push button unlocking device. Two officers in my last Tactical Pistol Instructor course could not make the times from the draw with this holster. The push-button mechanism was difficult to index/find under stress and even after six days, they still had problems.
Another problem brought to my attention from a recent student was tactical training problem. During a scenario, he exerted excessive pressure from his trigger finger to the unlock button and when drawing the weapon, drug the finger along the holster and into the trigger guard, discharging the airsoft weapon prematurely into his leg during his draw sequence.
Trigger fingers are just that, for the trigger. I think it should remain straight and have one function, to index the trigger. The current thumb break snap or hood is the way to go.

From MDFI Training - "Please note: We will no longer allow Serpa holsters in class."

Tom Givens of Rangemaster is not a fan.

John Murphey of FPF Training in VA Bans them as well

(Secondhand) Student from a Louis Awerbuck said he didn't like them during a Handgun class in April of 2008 Link

I was at a Magpul Carbine Class where Chris Costa said he didn't like the Serpa. As he stated in this thread

From Firearmz Blog:
"The Georgia Public safety Training Center has banned the use of all Blackhawk Serpa Holster or any other holster that has a retention release mounted over the trigger. Negligent discharges had lead to that decision as if it would be a surprise to anyone. A real rocket scientist had to design that."

I've heard that John Farnam bans them in his classes but haven't confirmed it...

Andy Stanford, (author of Surgical Speed Shooting and trainer with OPSinc) bans them.

ETA:
2nd hand info but interesting nonetheless...

From A Blackwater Carbine Course Student Review dated 06-11-2009
http://forums.officer.com/showthread.ph ... oint/page2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Blackhawk SERPA holsters should never be used on duty. I learned that debris can get behind the release latch and trap your pistol in the holster. An officer was killed on the street due to this flaw. Safariland holsters were highly recommended."
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Oh and I recommend ASP cuffs. I carry one hinge and one chain. The smiths I was issued are back ups.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

Jumping Frog wrote:Tactical Response (James Yaeger)
The holster must be really unsafe if it's banned by an instructor who allows someone downrange while students are shooting.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=25650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

tbrown wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:Tactical Response (James Yaeger)
The holster must be really unsafe if it's banned by an instructor who allows someone downrange while students are shooting.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=25650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" That's what I get for quoting stuff from the internet . . .

IN my defense, I did say "If I believe what I see browsing the net (an important caveat!!)," :mrgreen:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Job Board”