CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
r_gray
Posts in topic: 5

CHL exam...can we look at our notes?

Post by r_gray »

Another newbie question:

When I signed up for the CHL class, they emailed me and said to be prepared to take notes during this class. When we take the written exam, can we use our notes?

Usually I learn a lot more if I don't take notes. But if I knew I could read my notes during the test, I'll probably take a lot!

-rg

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Re: CHL exam...can we look at our notes?

Post by longtooth »

You may not use your notes.
I dont know about your Instructor but in my class I tell the folks if they will listen I emphasize the things they will need to remember later.

I also then really emphasize the things they need to remember beyond the test. Those are the notes I want them to take. Dont sweat the test. DPS does not try to make it tricky so you will fail.

Where are you located.???
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
r_gray

Post by r_gray »

longtooth wrote:You may not use your notes.
I dont know about your Instructor but in my class I tell the folks if they will listen I emphasize the things they will need to remember later.

I also then really emphasize the things they need to remember beyond the test. Those are the notes I want them to take. Dont sweat the test. DPS does not try to make it tricky so you will fail.
OK. It just seems like 8+ hours would have too much to remember.
Where are you located.???
Plano, TX. I'm going to the class from Dallas Concealed Carry.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

8+ hrs is more than anyone can remember. That is why this board is SOOO important. Why I emphasize continuing education so strongly.

You will not remember everything. If your instructor is worth his/her salt they will too.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
r_gray

Post by r_gray »

Thanks Longtooth!

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

r_gray wrote:.... said to be prepared to take notes during this class. When we take the written exam, can we use our notes?
The exam is the least important reason to take notes. When you are trying to remember something the instructor said a year later, that is when the notes are useful.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

I took my CHL class in early December. I didn't take a single note the entire class, actually none of the students did. None of us got more than one question wrong on the exam and almost all of us received 100%. But as another poster mentioned, notes are the most significant after class when you sit down and start thinking about all the information the instructor gave you. In a few short weeks or months (if your unlucky with DPS), you will be legally able to carry concealed. That's when the magnitude of the responsibilty you will have for yourself and others sets in and you want to be prepared. That's when I started thinking about the details, did he say 300ft from a school zone or 300ft from a school building. Thats when I wished I had taken notes. I'm still waiting for my plastic and in the interim I've been reading the CHL-16 as well as getting feedback from the forum members, who have all been extremely helpful. I feel I am prepared and I will continue my learning going forward. So take notes or don't take notes but as the others have said don't discontinue your learning after you pass the exam.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

and I would suggest printing out the latest Texas Concealed Handgun License (penal code) Manual and placing it in the bathroom (makes for good reading and one can always 'find' time to review it :lol: ). And it took a lot of self control not to make another joke that can be found in the former sentence :coolgleamA:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Topic author
r_gray

Post by r_gray »

Thanks you guys for some valuable feedback. Actually, after my initial post, I emailed the CHL instructor and asked him...and this guy said open notes are OK on the test.

Anyway, my mind is already plagued with "what-if's", both legally and morally. Like if someone tries to rob me with a knife...I don't think taking my wallet deserves death, but the guy sees me and knows that I could identify him, so there's a possibility or probability (?) he might slash me right after he gets my wallet. What do I do? Things like that...

Thanks again,
Robert

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Try not to get all worked up before the class. Many of your questions will be answered there. Afterwards, you will probably have a whole different set of questions!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I don't recall it being discussed at the instructor's class or in the code. I know for the instructor's test someone asked and they said no. I figure if it is good enough for the DPS then it's good enough for me.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

When we took our original instructor class back in... um, a long time ago, I DO remember that we were allowed to use our notes. So, I have done the same with our classes ever since. Why would you take notes if you weren't going to use them?

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe the DPS instructor read the entire test to us right before we took it. I don't go quite that far.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I am glad someone else does not do that. I tried it once & there were more Qs doing it that way than just reviewing the statements in the lecture that are relavent.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Crossfire wrote:Why would you take notes if you weren't going to use them?
I thought the same thing about high school and college tests. ;-)

steve817

Post by steve817 »

r_gray wrote:Thanks you guys for some valuable feedback. Actually, after my initial post, I emailed the CHL instructor and asked him...and this guy said open notes are OK on the test.

Anyway, my mind is already plagued with "what-if's", both legally and morally. Like if someone tries to rob me with a knife...I don't think taking my wallet deserves death, but the guy sees me and knows that I could identify him, so there's a possibility or probability (?) he might slash me right after he gets my wallet. What do I do? Things like that...

Thanks again,
Robert
The exam is really not that big of a deal. Just read each question carefully before answering. I'd almost be willing to bet that I could have aced it without sitting through the course.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”