NRA Marketing Tactic

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

DONT TREAD ON ME

Re: NRA Marketing Tactic

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

pbwalker wrote:
chabouk wrote:pbwalker is right: I'm also a long-time NRA member, but they are notoriously tight-lipped about financial matters. Ordinary Joe Member trying to find out how his dues and contributions are spent will run face-first into a brick wall. There are so many divisions, organizations, and separate efforts, that I'm surprised the NRA's own accountants can keep up with it all.

I opted out of solicitation mailings, but I still receive the occasional propaganda mail that is nothing more than fund-raising thinly disguised as political action information or "polls". I'm just as likely to send a check in response to such mailings, as I am to Sally Struthers crying about starving children, or a TV preacher crying about the state of my soul.

I agree that the JPFO letter was harsh. And you know what? Sometimes we need some harsh truth to keep up focused!
Great reply chabouk!

I have no idea why the NRA is so secretive about their finances. I guess it's their right, and my right to choose not to renew my membership. But I likely will not cancel, just throw away the daily mailings. :lol:

The biggest turn off for me is the "If you don't like the NRA, don't join..." and the general feeling that we shouldn't question them (the NRA). It's as if NRA members are taking it personally.

On par with what you said, lighting a little fire shouldn't be so frowned upon. Sadly, it is seen as bashing.
I am in agreeance with you PB. This is why I am not a member any more and why my father cancelled his membership years ago. I like the idea of the NRA but the NRA organization is getting further and further away from the idea of the NRA.

fickman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fickman »

I updated my member profile online.

The only things I receive now are:
- Membership renewal notice when my membership is ACTUALLY going to expire (not the false alarms)
- NRA ILA Alerts emails that I find interesting to read
- American Rifleman magazine. . . although I might switch back to Americas First Freedom

They haven't sent me any other offers, solicitations, or correspondence via e-mail or snail mail since I set my profile.

Took about 3 minutes total.
Native Texian

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Here's my "journey" through the "unsubscribe" function of the NRA mailing machine:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 15#p409303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long story short? Quick. Simple. Easy. I imagine I'll spend more time this week throwing away the stuff already in the pipeline than it took to make the call and click the links.

There really is no reason to complain about all the mailings anymore, folks. The financial numbers are another matter, but the mailings are a dead horse.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by drjoker »

92f-fan wrote:you are under no obligation to return unsolicited merchandise..

Having said that - Im getting kinda tired of the daily or near daily emails I get from NRA trying to sell everything from life insurance to wine... ENOUGH. Cut the frequency back and keep it gun and 2nd amendment related
Yeah, I have a friend that stopped paying NRA dues because of these negative marketing campaigns. He didn't understand that you're under no obligation to return unsolicited merchandise. I receive all my junk mail at work and just let the secretary sort it out. She gives me my renewal notice and my "American Rifleman" but tosses everything else. You could also receive all your junk mail at a P.O. box and receive all your junk phones and emails through google voice so you won't be bothered. Just check your P.O. box mail whenever you feel like it (weekly, monthly, whatever). Or if you have a vacation home, receive all your junk mail at your vacation home. Or if you have a brother/sister you'd like to inundate with junk mail.... you get the picture. :evil2:

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by wgoforth »

I went into my account and selected all the no solicitation boxes and they droppedd to zero. A few months ago out of the blue I got a call asking for a donation. I informed them that I was on their "don't call list" but he said "Oh we know, but this is so important that we thought you'd want to know. i called the Life Member helpline and asked them if they would like my life membership back. Even she (acted anyway) couldn't believe they did or said that and said it was a 3rd party marketer and they would be dealing with them. No more since.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:How much did the Heller and McDonald cases cost the NRA? How about the 62 other cases that were on the NRA General Counsel's report I reviewed this week in Charlotte? And how many gun owners benefit from the NRA and never bother to join, much less donate a dime to the effort?

If you don't want to receive any solicitations or offers, then just call HQ and tell them and your name will be taken off the list. But how about not trying to undermine programs that are necessary for the continued success of the NRA -- at least not on my forum .

Chas.
I agree with Charles. The powers to be at the NRA must be seeing a return on their investment that justifies the mailings. Like Charles said if we don’t want the mailings than just ask to be taken off the list. Alphabet organizations like the NRA, TSRA and for those of us in Aviation, AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) the NBAA (National Business Aircraft Association) and their PAC cousins play a vital role in maintaining our interest and is important to support them in this role. We may not agree with everything they do but if not for the efforts of these organizations and the countless hours that Charles Cotton puts into the NRA, TSRA and meeting with our state and US leaders we would be in a whole different place today so a phone call or email will stop the solicitation if it is not wanted but please support the organizations that support us.
Rant over, Flame suit on.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

wgoforth wrote:I went into my account and selected all the no solicitation boxes and they droppedd to zero. A few months ago out of the blue I got a call asking for a donation. I informed them that I was on their "don't call list" but he said "Oh we know, but this is so important that we thought you'd want to know. i called the Life Member helpline and asked them if they would like my life membership back. Even she (acted anyway) couldn't believe they did or said that and said it was a 3rd party marketer and they would be dealing with them. No more since.
Just as a note on Do Not Call lists. Businesses and organizations that you do business with, as well as non-profit organizations are exempt from the National and State DNC lists. However, if you were on the NRA DNC, then they should NOT have called you. I don't get any calls or unsolicited mail from NRA except for renewal notifications for Instructor Certification, Instructor updates, etc.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...the best of both worlds can be accomplished by sending in a contribution by way of money order with A. Donor and THEIR mailing address on the MO and envelope...then you've done your part without triggering the flood of "dire emergency" letters and other wasteful junk mail...who needs the hat?!!!

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

wgoforth wrote:I went into my account and selected all the no solicitation boxes and they droppedd to zero. A few months ago out of the blue I got a call asking for a donation. I informed them that I was on their "don't call list" but he said "Oh we know, but this is so important that we thought you'd want to know. i called the Life Member helpline and asked them if they would like my life membership back. Even she (acted anyway) couldn't believe they did or said that and said it was a 3rd party marketer and they would be dealing with them. No more since.
I logged into my account but I did NOT see an option for "no solicitation". I went to https://www.nramemberservices.org and logged in. Is that what you're talking about?

Thanks.
:tiphat:

jmra

Post by jmra »

speedsix wrote:...the best of both worlds can be accomplished by sending in a contribution by way of money order with A. Donor and THEIR mailing address on the MO and envelope...then you've done your part without triggering the flood of "dire emergency" letters and other wasteful junk mail...who needs the hat?!!!
That's what I ended up doing. Don't know if it is because I have a very common name or what but my attempts to stop unwanted contact (both thru mail and via phone) were unsuccessful until I ended my membership. I'm no longer a member but still donate.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

drjoker wrote:
I logged into my account but I did NOT see an option for "no solicitation". I went to https://www.nramemberservices.org and logged in. Is that what you're talking about?

Thanks.
:tiphat:
I am not aware of any 'no solicitation' boxes. From the FAQ section of the site above
How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote: I am not aware of any 'no solicitation' boxes. From the FAQ section of the site above
How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.
This is what I did and it worked probably 95%. Got it down to a tolerable level.
I still get insurance offers and the occasional "dire warning" letter from time to time, but, not enough to be annoying.
The first 2-3 months was a deluge, but even after renewal the quantity of junk mail remains very low.

IIRC, I had to make a call to a separate phone number to get the insurance offers shut down. I called that 3888 number a second time to ask why I was still getting insurance promotions and they told me it was a separate entity with their own mailing list and they gave me the number to call. Sorry, I don't remember it.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly the junk mail was stopped with a few calls and an email. It could be easier, sure, but, not bad.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

(1) When you look under FAQ's it tells you to send am e-mail to an address to opt out of marketing (2) I told them on the phone I wanted to be put on their don't call list when I kept getting solicitations. It had been several years ago since I opted out, I was thinking it was a check box. Still don't know that it wasn't back when I did it, but either way I opted out. The point was not HOW I opted out, but the audacity of when they called again recently, and I said "I am supposed to be on your don't call list" for him to say "Oh I know, but this is so important that we thought you needed to know it" then went on to tell me that without my help, the UN will ban all guns.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FuziDave
Posts in topic: 3

Post by FuziDave »

I see the original post is over two years ago, and nothing has changed.

A few weeks ago I get a package in the mail from the NRA. You can tell there’s a DVD in it. Didn’t open it.

Now today I get a letter, “we sent you an DVD. Either pay $14 for it, or return it”.

Oh heck no! I’m going with option 3 – keep the unsolicited DVD and watch it…or not… and I still haven't opened it.
FuziDave

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

FuziDave wrote:I see the original post is over two years ago, and nothing has changed.

A few weeks ago I get a package in the mail from the NRA. You can tell there’s a DVD in it. Didn’t open it.

Now today I get a letter, “we sent you an DVD. Either pay $14 for it, or return it”.

Oh heck no! I’m going with option 3 – keep the unsolicited DVD and watch it…or not… and I still haven't opened it.
Yup...best thing to do with any unsolicited book or DVD from anyone. When I called them about it a couple of years ago, they claimed it was being done by a subcontracted marketing co without their knowledge. Makes you wonder now.
NRA Life Member

Return to “National Rifle Association”