CHL Background check vs gun purchasing background check

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pmcdn
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Background check vs gun purchasing background check

Post by pmcdn »

What is the main difference in how they do the CHL background checks vs a gun purchasing background check?
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

apostate

Re: CHL Background check vs gun purchasing background check

Post by apostate »

Well, there's fingerprints and other things that differentiate the process, but I would say the biggest difference is the additional eligibility requirements that will disqualify someone from getting a CHL but make no difference for the "instant" purchase check.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The background check for purchase of a handgun looks for felonies and mental/drug commitments. The CHL background check looks at everything felony, Class A and B misdemeanor, alcohol and drugs and in some cases, even class C misdemeanors enter into the equation. A CHL background check is much more thorough.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

The big difference is being able to purchase a firearm is only one of many parts of the CHL background check.

GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.
(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(9) is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun;

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetfo ... chl-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

jmra

Post by jmra »

The NICS background check is a name based system that only takes your name and birth date into consideration when searching for history that would disqualify a person from purchasing a firearm. If you have a common name such as mine (4th most popular in the US) then you may very likely be denied even if you have a spotless record. I am speaking from experience.
The background check for CHL is very extensive. It includes finger printing and review of any and all documented encounters with our friends in law enforcement. As others have stated, the requirements for obtaining a CHL far exceed those of simply being able to purchase a firearm.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”