REVIEW OF NEW FRONTIER POLYMER AR15 LOWER

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
eureka40
Posts in topic: 4

REVIEW OF NEW FRONTIER POLYMER AR15 LOWER

Post by eureka40 »

Just wanted to provide an initial impression of this new light weight lower. The fit up between the LW15 lower and my JSE (http://www.jsesurplus.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) upper was extremely tight. I actually had to lean on the upper a bit to get it to snap into place. There is no slop at all. It's nice. As far as the safety lever, it's already starting to break in and move more freely. I just kept moving it back and forth and it is getting better.

An empty 30 round GI mag (C-Products) won't freely drop out yet, but it would with just 2 rounds in it, and I expect that to change with a little break in period. I do have some 30 round Thermold mags that do drop out freely. I haven't tried my P-mags or Tapco mags yet.

The 6 position stock is 3/4 of an inch longer when fully extended than my M&P15 and PSA lower. That is a huge plus for a big guy like me. I noticed it as soon as I shouldered the weapon. It is a much more natural and comfortable feel.

Then there is the weight difference. I intentionally bought the upper to be light and the LW15 lower is a perfect match to keep the rifle as light as possible. Even my wife noticed the difference. Uh-Oh , hope she doesn't think this is her's!!! It's not pink!!

All in all I'd say this is a very good lower at a great price, and I bought it from one of our own here on the forum.

David at Old Cannon Armory is really great to work with. He is very knowledgeable, very friendly, and willing to try to help out however he can. I will definitely continue to do business with him.

Here is a link to the New Frontier site:
http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/in ... s_id=34089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I just need to get to the range and shoot it.

:patriot:
TSRA Life Memeber

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 10

Re: REVIEW OF NEW FRONTIER POLYMER AR15 LOWER

Post by OldCannon »

Glad you guys like 'em! I spent some additional tinker time with my own LW15 lower to see how well it stands up to modification. It works like a champ! Here's a stock LW15 (the $99 complete lower)

I pulled all the guts out and dropped in a Timney trigger (reducing trigger pull from 6.5 lbs to 4.5 lbs), a Magpul MIAD grip, and an LMT SOPMOD stock. The results are a nice frankenlower :mrgreen:

To be honest though...I like the LW15 stock more. Some folks like the meaty SOPMOD stocks, but I find the lighter weight of the LW15 stock to be far more desirable.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

cajunautoxer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cajunautoxer »

I know some guys in La that just did a group buy on these. 20+ and they went for $85 shipped :shock: They found a FFL to do the transfers for $10 per lower. I didnt' see it until it was too late :banghead:

fenster

Post by fenster »

I bought one of these lowers and took delivery middle of last week. I chose this lower more for its low cost, than its low weight. that savings I was able to put into a nicer upper. ...this was the theory anyway. regarding the upper alone, it is quite light. I also have a SW M&P15, and holding the two lowers shows a very noticeable weight savings in the poly lower. looking at the trigger, it is definitely odd to see polymer parts, instead of metal. exercising the trigger showed it to be on the heavy side, but very crisp, and very short. reset was a nice, positive thunk.

I attached it to the upper (RRA Predator Pursuit 16") and the fit was very tight. the very first time, it took a bit of effort and a fairly perfect alignment to get the pins to drop in.

the result:

with that heavy barrel, and aluminum free-float forend, and an extra-light lower, the balance of the rifle is fairly front-heavy. however, given time handling it and operating it, it's easy to get used to.

I got it out to the range yesterday. not having a scope mount, I just ran it with my eotech holographic sight, and used p-mags to feed it. no problems whatsoever. the mildly-heavy, but short and crisp trigger were confirmed at the range. I know the lower plays a fairly modest role in accuracy, but it was pretty easy to keep golfball-sized groups at 50yds from a bench. I was largely limited by the 1x optic. the trigger was definitely not a hindrance to getting tight groups. squeezing it up against my shoulder, I couldn't detect any flex or any other behavior that showed it to be made of poly instead of Al.

I'm quite pleased with it. this combo will now be my long-distance plinker at the range, and my primary equipment at my next carbine match.

gratuitous photo of the goodies I brought out to the range that day:

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

fenster wrote:I bought one of these lowers and took delivery middle of last week. I chose this lower more for its low cost, than its low weight. that savings I was able to put into a nicer upper. ...this was the theory anyway. regarding the upper alone, it is quite light. I also have a SW M&P15, and holding the two lowers shows a very noticeable weight savings in the poly lower. looking at the trigger, it is definitely odd to see polymer parts, instead of metal. exercising the trigger showed it to be on the heavy side, but very crisp, and very short. reset was a nice, positive thunk.
Glad you liked it so much! Everybody I've sold one to loves it. I have about 12 more left, if anybody else is interested.

ske1eter

Post by ske1eter »

I pinged the guys on GetOffTheX to see if they'd heard of them and how they've held up in classes. It seems they've seen some problems with cracking. :shock:

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

ske1eter wrote:I pinged the guys on GetOffTheX to see if they'd heard of them and how they've held up in classes. It seems they've seen some problems with cracking. :shock:
Really? Ok, let's see:
1) The only class offered by "Tactical Response" (the course side of "GetOffTheX") that has required rifles this year was a Fighting Rifle class on March 3-4.
2) These lowers have only been available since Feb
3) The odds of customers in TN (where the class was based) having multiple of these is statistically boggling.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I lack the same interesting sources as you have, but anecdotes != data. I certainly hope you're not confusing these with Plum Crazy lowers, which are definitely different. Can you please provide us more information about your sources, or point us to a link on the relevant discussions?

EDIT: I've asked Dave Famiglietti, the president of NFA, if they have had reports of this. I will follow up with what he has to say, just as I hope ske1eter will follow up with his.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

OldCannon wrote: EDIT: I've asked Dave Famiglietti, the president of NFA, if they have had reports of this. I will follow up with what he has to say, just as I hope ske1eter will follow up with his.
Got a response back from him stating that they've had some people smash on them with hammers, but there have been no reports of cracking when the lower has been used as component in an AR-15.

So, once again, I would ask that you back up your claim.

Topic author
eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

You know, I've been reading about these lowers on ALOT of other forums. I haven't run across anything like cracking or splitting. All I've seen is personal preference issues regarding forged or composite. That's it.

Not saying it didn't happen but it must be hidden very well.
TSRA Life Memeber

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

eureka40 wrote:You know, I've been reading about these lowers on ALOT of other forums. I haven't run across anything like cracking or splitting. All I've seen is personal preference issues regarding forged or composite. That's it.
Everybody that has bought one from me has been extremely happy. I did have one potential buyer come in that changed his mind. He just felt uncomfortable with how light it was. Everybody else seemed delighted. As you say, it's a matter of preference. At least there are choices now ;-)

Topic author
eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Yeah, almost all of the reviews and comments I've seen have been positive. As far as the forged vs composite issue, it's just the same old Ford vs Chevy argument we've all seen for years. It is to be expected. We all have our preferences.

These are good lowers at a good price and that's the bottom line.

:cheers2:
TSRA Life Memeber

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

From what I know about the AR15 design, I don't know why they would be any more prone to cracking than the frames of S&W M&P pistols. Assuming appropriate springs in both cases.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

nyj

Post by nyj »

Very cool.

I'll be picking up my AR from David next week (non-polymer). He is indeed great to do business with.

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

What are your thoughts on this lower with a 5.7x28mm upper? Do you think the poly lower would stand up to having the brass ejected down through the mag well?
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”