Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Post by speedsix »

...but I can't buy stamps from a Federal Possumcop...we need to get 'em BOTH made right, but if the numbers count...Post Office first, please...the way they're going, they may go bankrupt and Ted Nugent can buy them...

koolaid
Posts in topic: 4

Post by koolaid »

rp_photo wrote:I say give we should give first priority to repeal of the ridiculous ACOE ban in wildnerness areas before going after the somewhat more defendable Post Office ban.
I agree. I am surrounded by COE land and very little of it is clearly marked.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

doc540
Posts in topic: 1

Post by doc540 »

Just today I disarmed myself before entering the PO to purchase a money order.

I felt plumb nekkid, but it wasn't nearly as much fun.
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

austin-tatious
Posts in topic: 3

Post by austin-tatious »

Interesting article on this in the USCCA magazine this month:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-co ... ffice-law/.

I think the link will work even if you are not a USCCA member. If it doesn't work, the gist of the story is the Post Office has it's own rules and courts have allowed them to claim authority over their premises, the parking lot, and even including the public side walk outside the boundaries of the parking lot.

The author, Kevin L. Jamison is an attorney in the Kansas City Missouri area concentrating in the area of weapons and self-defense. The last paragraph of the story:
For more than twenty years I have advised parties who wish to challenge the Postal Service to get a 55 gallon drum, cram it full of $100 bills, stuff them in as tight as possible, then wheel the barrel into my office; then we would talk; until then, it is just talk.
I haven't looked through all 9 pages of this topic, so this donation link may already be covered-> If you want to support the suit that the CO couple has against the USPO, you can contribute to the Mountain States Legal Foundation, 2596 South Lewis Way, Lakewood, CO, 80227 at https://www.ifr-ors.com/ors_2_live/clie ... ULL&P=NULL.

The link for the case status and history is at http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/lega ... caseid=231
Last edited by austin-tatious on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RPB »

doc540 wrote:Just today I disarmed myself before entering the PO to purchase a money order.

I felt plumb nekkid, but it wasn't nearly as much fun.
That's why I get money orders at the bank (At my bank, no charge/free if you are old and have an old people account there)

I get stamps at HEB, well, I will again when I run out ... I just got $440.00 worth of forever ones, before they went up. My niece slept with them under a pillow waiting for the Stamp Fairy to leave $10.00 under her pillow.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 9

Post by sjfcontrol »

$440 worth of stamps? Thats 1000 letters. :???: I don't expect to mail that many letters in the rest of my life. And probably my kids life, too.

What 'ya gonna do when the PO goes out of business... Paper your walls with them? :biggrinjester:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

markmac56

Post by markmac56 »

Looking at the signs at my post office, I can carry concealed inside...unless, of course there is something that I am unaware of, such as school and courthouses, etc. ..

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 9

Post by sjfcontrol »

markmac56 wrote:Looking at the signs at my post office, I can carry concealed inside...unless, of course there is something that I am unaware of, such as school and courthouses, etc. ..
If you're looking for signs such as 30.06 -- Post Offices are (presumably) Federal property, and don't have to follow Texas law.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RPB »

sjfcontrol wrote:$440 worth of stamps? Thats 1000 letters. :???: I don't expect to mail that many letters in the rest of my life. And probably my kids life, too.

What 'ya gonna do when the PO goes out of business... Paper your walls with them? :biggrinjester:
I'll probably put them on the windows so birds won't fly into them :)
markmac56 wrote:Looking at the signs at my post office, I can carry concealed inside...unless, of course there is something that I am unaware of, such as school and courthouses, etc. ..

Post offices sometimes have a teeny tiny sign, took me several trips to locate it, it was about 6"x8" posted 10' high to be seen as you EXIT; and it didn't have the gunbuster picture, but only the text as this one; but still, sign or no sign, it's against these Federal Regulations
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

JJVP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JJVP »

You are in violation of Federal law and will go to jail if caught. No signs are required in a federal facility. :rules:
You should hope that a fed does not read this thread. You just confessed to a federal crime. Expect a visit by the FBI soon. :smilelol5:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

The USPS gets to play public or private as convenient, and in this case public works out best for them.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

RPB wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:$440 worth of stamps? Thats 1000 letters. :???: I don't expect to mail that many letters in the rest of my life. And probably my kids life, too.

Post offices sometimes have a teeny tiny sign, took me several trips to locate it, it was about 6"x8" posted 10' high to be seen as you EXIT; and it didn't have the gunbuster picture, but only the text as this one; but still, sign or no sign, it's against these Federal Regulations
I love how they always leave (d)(3) off the sign these days. (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

IANAL but I don't know of any cases where an individual was carrying concealed under the authority of a CHL, CWP, or whatever, which, it seems to me, would be a "lawful purpose" was caught, arrested, and convicted.

That said, when TSA finally deigned to provided us "screeners" with space they laughingly called lockers for us to store our personal stuff in without worrying about theft, one of our less brilliant lights (an engineer by education as well as trade) asked could we store or personal firearms in our lockers. Of course TSA management's response was "No it violates 18USC930" and when (d)(3) was pointed out, they finally came up with "We say it's illegal, therefore it's not a lawful purpose."
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

:clapping:
jimlongley wrote:
RPB wrote:

I love how they always leave (d)(3) off the sign these days. (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

IANAL but I don't know of any cases where an individual was carrying concealed under the authority of a CHL, CWP, or whatever, which, it seems to me, would be a "lawful purpose" was caught, arrested, and convicted.

That said, when TSA finally deigned to provided us "screeners" with space they laughingly called lockers for us to store our personal stuff in without worrying about theft, one of our less brilliant lights (an engineer by education as well as trade) asked could we store or personal firearms in our lockers. Of course TSA management's response was "No it violates 18USC930" and when (d)(3) was pointed out, they finally came up with "We say it's illegal, therefore it's not a lawful purpose."
39 CFR 232.1 Conduct on postal property, does not have an exception for hunting or other lawful purposes. The only exception is for official purposes.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/ ... r232.1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Mirage

Post by Mirage »

I always cover the post office problem in the CHL classes I teach.
Is it a Federal Property? Are there Federal Employees? Can you carry or not?
I usually boil it to down to: I don't want to be the "test case" to find out for sure.
Just like the restaurants having 51% signs AND the blue unlicensed sign,
I know they can't have both, but I leave my gun locked in my Truck when I go inside
just to be sure I am not breaking the law.
NRA Life Member
NRA Recruiter
NRA RSO
US Army Veteran 1966 - 1968

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

It's funny how sometimes the USPS is described as non-government and other times as being government.

They get to pick and choose, and in this case being government suits them best.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”