Concealed Carry Question for Dallas Conv Center

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
khukuri
Posts in topic: 2

Concealed Carry Question for Dallas Conv Center

Post by khukuri »

This is my first post here and I was hoping someone might have some insight on a question that I have. I have been traveling to Dallas to the Convention Center for cheer competitions. Cheer teams from all of the country attend. My question is if it is allowable to cc when attending them. I'm not worried about the competition itself but we have to park quite a ways away and have had to walk back to the car in the dark. I don't know Dallas that well but being from a small town it doesn't look like the safest place around. I found this reference in the Texas laws where carry is not allowed "On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event". My question is if these competitions would be off limits according to this section. It's not really a school or professional event and although I joke with my daughter, I'm not sure it's considered a sport but I don't know if these are just technicalities. Does anyone here have any knowledge of this? I haven't been carrying to be on the safe side but I don't want my wife and daughter at risk when coming and going.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry Question for Dallas Conv Center

Post by The Annoyed Man »

School sponsored activity, carry is a no-no. :nono: An equivalent situation would be going on a field trip to the zoo with a bunch of students in your private car, to meet other groups of adults and kids for the same event who arrived by school bus. You can carry in your car on the way there, but the other adults on the bus cannot carry. But even if the facility were not posted 30.06, you would not be allowed to carry once you went into the zoo as part of the school activity—whereas, I and my family who were not part of that activity could carry into the zoo at the same time......if it weren't posted.

All of this said, I might be full of wind and wrong as heck; but that is my understanding of the law.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
khukuri
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Concealed Carry Question for Dallas Conv Center

Post by khukuri »

These aren't school sponsored activities. The participants are from private cheer instructional studios. There may be some teams who come from schools but I'm not sure of that.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”