Gun in Luggage

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lonest4r
Posts in topic: 1

Gun in Luggage

Post by Lonest4r »

An acquaintance of mine, my wife's best friend's fiancé, was purportedly arrested the other day after forgetting a handgun in a piece of carry-on luggage :confused5 . He has a CHL, or now more likely had a CHL, and took a ride down to the slammer once the handgun was discovered at the security checkpoint. After a long night in jail and many calls to different legal counsel he has been released. I will have to see whether any charges are still being pursued once my wife gets more details. Sounds like an expensive and potentially damaging error. Make sure you check your bags before packing them if you store any kind of guns/knives/ammo/TSA no-no items in them.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

Teamless

Re: Gun in Luggage

Post by Teamless »

:banghead:
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Teamless wrote::banghead:
:iagree:

Even if the police don't press charges, TSA probably will.

Situational awareness. Don't forget that you are carrying a gun, and where it is. As a TSA screener for three years I hate to tell you how many times I have seen this happen.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

usmc groper

Post by usmc groper »

Sucks to lose the privilege for forgetting, but then again, you can't be stupid when it comes to carrying. We had a kid forget to clean out his day pack after a field exercise and before going into Singapore for some libo. The cops searched it and found a knife. He spent the next 3 months at a detention facility in Singapore while the rest of us got to go blow stuff up in the desert. I say again, you can't be stupid when it comes to carrying.
3/9/2012 Online Application
3/10/2012 CHL Class
3/12/2012 Fingerprints at L-1
3/13/2012 Mailed Package to DPS
3/15/2012 DPS recieved Package
3/22/2012 First Status Change , Background check pending
4/9/2012 Maufacture Pending
4/10/2012 Manufacturing
4/11/2012 Mailed!!!
4/16/2012 Plastic in hand!!!

g31357

Post by g31357 »

why would it be in the luggage in the first place?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I'm sorry, but I know where every gun I own is. Now, granted I only have 8 and 5 of those are rifles, but I still don't understand how one can forget where their handguns are. Especially if they are going to fly and I gotta go with g21357 on this one. What was it doing in there in the first place?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...last sentence of OP...some folks store stuff in their luggage/briefcases in their closets to keep prying eyes/fingers away...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

speedsix wrote:...last sentence of OP...some folks store stuff in their luggage/briefcases in their closets to keep prying eyes/fingers away...
If that's the reason why many of these happen, haven't we seen enough people get caught at the airport to know this is a bad idea yet? Or does everyone think what we already know is wrong? I'll be careful, it won't happen to me!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...this is tacky...but I really feel it's true...you see the bulk of the problems happen at Love Field...very close to Highland Park and University Park...from my experiences with these two cities since 84, I'll say there's a dearth of common sense there, and many people who think the law just doesn't apply to them...may be a lot of them fly in/out of Love...OK, I'll also give you that they're awfully busy and have a lot on their minds...

...first thing I do when I pack is see what's already in the bag...but who's to say I'M not the wierd one...

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Speedsix, you are packing your own bag, but who knows how their bags get packed.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...good point...some of them do have "help"...others of them NEED it...

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

I haven’t flown since 9-11 and I will never fly again. Problem solved. :tiphat:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

VoiceofReason wrote:I haven’t flown since 9-11 and I will never fly again. Problem solved. :tiphat:
:tiphat:
The reason for owning a RV is I do my own security checks of carry on bags. I do fly but all weapons are checked bags. Never, never, never use a range bag as a carry on bag.... :patriot:
God Bliss America.

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

C-dub wrote:I'm sorry, but I know where every gun I own is. Now, granted I only have 8 and 5 of those are rifles, but I still don't understand how one can forget where their handguns are. Especially if they are going to fly and I gotta go with g21357 on this one. What was it doing in there in the first place?
If I only had eight, I know where all of mine are too! :evil2:

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

C-dub wrote:I'm sorry, but I know where every gun I own is. Now, granted I only have 8 and 5 of those are rifles, but I still don't understand how one can forget where their handguns are. Especially if they are going to fly and I gotta go with g21357 on this one. What was it doing in there in the first place?
I, too, know where every one of my guns are. I don't bother to think much about where they aren't, however, and could easily see this mistake being made. I put my handguns in my backpack with some regularity, and my backpack is what I use as my carry-on... All I've gotta do is not open up the pocket with the gun in it while I'm packing (and not notice the extra weight) and I'm in a world of hurt when I get to the airport. Usually I empty all its pockets to avoid this scenario, but more than once I've missed one of those pseudo-hidden little pockets and taken something with me that I didn't intend to. Fortunately, so far the worst offender has been a wine bottle opener with a short, maybe 1/2" blade for cutting foil or tape, and all they did was make me throw it away.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Never Again!!”