Carry Always and Everywhere It's Legal

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ShepherdTX
Posts in topic: 3

Carry Always and Everywhere It's Legal

Post by ShepherdTX »

So, about an hour ago, my wife was out and about doing errands, and I was sitting at home getting the munchies. I decided to pick up some junk food at the little corner store at the entrance to our fairly "safe" suburban neighborhood. It was going to be a quick trip, and I thought about just jumping right into the car and not carrying since it was going to be a fast there and back trip in the middle of the afternoon and didn't want to go to the trouble of holstering up my normal 1911 for just a short ride. Just as I was about to go out the door completely unarmed, I changed my mind and thought I should probably carry at least *something* even if was going to be a quick trip and nothing likely to happen. So I decided to bust out my Ruger LCP. I took an extra minute or two to strap it on just to have at least 5 measly rounds of .380 protection on me... just in case.

I drove past our neighborhood pool, where all the families and children were out enjoying the sun, and go not more than a block away to the corner store. Outside I saw at *least* 6 LEO cars both from nearby town and from Travis County Sheriff. It turns out our seemingly safe corner store was robbed on a Saturday afternoon in broad daylight not more than a block away from where children were playing and swimming.

Nobody was hurt, and I am somewhat glad I was not there when it happened, but if I had been hungry like an hour or so earlier, I could have easily been right in the middle of that. If I had been there, I am glad I decided to at least carry something to possibly save the life of myself or my friends who work there. Again as we all have heard, no matter how safe you think you are, no matter how unlikely you think something could happen, it can. Now more than ever I will continue to abide by my, "Carry always and everywhere it's legal" mantra.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry Always and Everywhere It's Legal

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Glad you're OK. This is one of the reasons that I have deliberately purchased several carry pistols in different sizes, configurations, and weights—so that I've always got a good carry option. But no .380 for me. My smallest pistol isn't much bigger than your LCP, and its a 9mm (Kahr PM9). It will go anywhere that I could take the old P3AT I used to own.....which is essentially a LCP in original livery.......and the PM9 is 6 +1 with a 7 rnd backup magazine, instead of just 5+1. Also, my other pocket pistol which is very tiny and weighs even less than my PM9 is a scandium .357 snubbie. It's only 5 rounds, but that is 5 rounds of unleashed bad juju for whomever it hits.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

I only carry when I need to. That's why I only wear my seat belt when I'm going to have an accident.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 2

Post by schufflerbot »

The Annoyed Man wrote:but that is 5 rounds of unleashed bad juju for whomever it hits.
this made me LOL

OP, glad you weren't involved in the incident... also glad to hear your judgement and sound sense of safety got the upper hand in this situation and you carried out the door like a good man.

stay safe, keep us posted on the outcome of the robbery.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Wow, that's quite a story. Just out of curiosity, are you describing the store at Dessau Road and Tudor House? Your story sounds like it could be my neighborhood.

Just wondering.
TSRA Life Memeber

Topic author
ShepherdTX

Post by ShepherdTX »

eureka40 wrote:Wow, that's quite a story. Just out of curiosity, are you describing the store at Dessau Road and Tudor House? Your story sounds like it could be my neighborhood.

Just wondering.
It's manor, 290 and shadowglen. I'm out and about tonight (and carrying a bigger gun plus extra mags) but I plan on swinging by the store to get the details tonight or tomorrow.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

OK, I know that store. Thanks for letting me know. Lesson learned today for sure.

My head is always on a swivel when I go into the corner store over here. I've seen some fairly unsavory characters lurking around there.
TSRA Life Memeber

Topic author
ShepherdTX

Post by ShepherdTX »

More details on the incident:

Two black males, both wearing gloves and white t shirt across mouth. One of them had a metal pipe that he was using as a weapon. That guy was tall 6' 3". They didn't drive away, they ran into the neighborhood.
So they may be living here. Might also explain the recent property crime in the neighborhood. Still creepy to me that had I been there an hour or two earlier, we definitely would have put the .380 vs. metal pipe debate to the test.

TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

Now that I have my LCR, I carry way more often. I love my 1911, and trust it, but it is a process to get dressed with it.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

karder

Post by karder »

It is really easy to get lax about carrying. Sometimes I don't feel like strapping on a service size pistol when I am just running out the door for a minute. Once or twice I just took my Bond Arms derringer, but that weighs more than my 1911 so there is really no reason! I am planning to pick up a .357 snubbie to give me another option. Then again, every time I go to the range with my brother and he whips out that M&P shield, I get a bit envious so I may go with the new technology instead.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

teri

Post by teri »

Ed4032 wrote:I only carry when I need to. That's why I only wear my seat belt when I'm going to have an accident.
:lol:: I'll have to remember that line the next time someone asks if I'll be carrying all the time.
6/2/12 - CHL Class
7/20/12 - Plastic in hand!

~Do it today! It might be illegal tomorrow. - author unknown~

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

They don't call them "stop and robs" for nothing!

Glad you weren't there when it happened, OP. And even more glad you made the right call to carry even for a "quick trip to the store".

A good reminder all around to carry 24/7 or guess right.
TANSTAAFL

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

74novaman wrote:They don't call them "stop and robs" for nothing!

Glad you weren't there when it happened, OP. And even more glad you made the right call to carry even for a "quick trip to the store".

A good reminder all around to carry 24/7 or guess right.
Been calling them "Stop & Robs" for over 35 years that I am aware of, maybe longer. :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

karder wrote:It is really easy to get lax about carrying. Sometimes I don't feel like strapping on a service size pistol when I am just running out the door for a minute.
I'm puzzled by this line of thinking - not just karder, but I hear this from a lot of people.

I have a pistol/holster/belt combination that works for me well enough that I never take it off unless I'm showering or in bed. So there's no 'strapping on' - if I'm awake, I have it on me. I just never need to think about it. :headscratch
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I carry everytime I leave the house. Yes I even carry in the pulpit.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Never Again!!”