I-20W @ Weatherford

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

I-20W @ Weatherford

Post by snatchel »

I was picked off today traveling eastbound on I-20 towards Dallas just before Weathorford. I travel this route pretty often, and never knew the speed limit dropped down to 65..... I knew it did when you get into the construction, but either way- 74 in a 65.

DPS officer was friendly, professional, and cordial. Presented my Paper DL and CHL, advised I was armed, and he ran me through the system. After 15 minutes of gun talk, he handed me a warning and sent me on my way.

Excellent stop, I do love our DPS officers!
No More Signature

C-dub

Re: I-20W @ Weatherford

Post by C-dub »

I don't get out that way very much any more.

However, every now and then the Grapevine PD sends a flock of motor officers into the construction area along SH121 just north of where 360 dumps out. There were at least 10 of them out there on Thursday afternoon. I usually slow down to about 52 and people go flying by me. Thankfully, no one has gotten upset with me enough to make me aware of their displeasure if they were. However, this past Thursday at least two of those that did go flying by were stopped. It was like shooting fish in a barrel for the GVPD guys that day and fines double in a construction zone when workers are present. OUCH!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

snatchel:
Weatheford is located in Parker County, Texas.

Some years ago I had read somewhere (who knows if it was accurate!) that of 254 Texas counties,
DPS gives out the highest number of speeding tickets in Parker County.

I guess this is because people travelling between Fort Worth and Abilene get on I-20, and as soon as
they get west of Weatherford, it's hammer down time. Watch out for DPS on the big downhill on I-20
west of Weatherford.

By the way, Parker County DPS trooper "Uncle John" is well known to 18 wheelers as being "The Man"
in that neighborhood.

Two words for anyone in Texas who likes to drive without letting signs run their lives : Valentine One.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: By the way, Parker County DPS trooper "Uncle John" is well known to 18 wheelers as being "The Man"
in that neighborhood.
SIA
"Uncle John" retired last year, we sure do miss him!
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

strider67

Post by strider67 »

Aaahhhh, Weatherford.......Great town, friendly folks. I have lived here over 8 years now and work in Dallas. On almost a daily basis, (and I mean daily), if you don't see DPS, which is an oddity, you are most certain to see Willow Park PD, (just on the East side of Weatherford). Especially at night...

I know of this "Uncle John"...and yes, he was "the man".
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

C-dub wrote:However, every now and then the Grapevine PD sends a flock of motor officers into the construction area along SH121 just north of where 360 dumps out. There were at least 10 of them out there on Thursday afternoon. <snip>
Grapevine PD's Lt. Hudson spoke to a group I belong to and told us about those "wolf packs" going on in Grapevine. He said that's about all they can do with all the construction because there are simply no other places for a cop to sit and work radar. People, (not you), go so fast through the construction zones. He said several times the PD has received early morning phone calls from construction workers that someone zoomed off the road the night before, crashed and is dead in their car.
Also according to the Lt., the road construction is still ahead of schedule but utility companies are making the entire project go slow right now. About a month from now when the utilities finish around William D. Tate Blvd., (don't hold your breath), we should finally see some widening of 114 @ 121.

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

kw5kw wrote:
surprise_i'm_armed wrote: By the way, Parker County DPS trooper "Uncle John" is well known to 18 wheelers as being "The Man"
in that neighborhood.
SIA
Did this trooper work in Parker Co. during the 80's? Just curious.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

hi-power wrote:
kw5kw wrote:
in that neighborhood.
SIA
Did this trooper work in Parker Co. during the 80's? Just curious.
I am not privy to that information. But knowing that he retired recently, per one of the above comments,
it would seem likely that he would be on duty during the '80's. The trooper's "age math" would work out.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

We saw lots of people stopped every Thursday night near Weathford by DPS and Willow Park boys coming home from Football games. My Daughter is a cheerleader and we had games in Cisco and Eastland last year.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I travel out 180 threw parker county 5 days a week. was stoped once by dps there 35 in a 30. it was early and I didnt know the area. polite and just a verbal warning. nice guy

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

A DPS officer had the best response ever when I informed him I was a CHL holder and was armed.

He told me "I'll make you a deal. Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine."

I told him that sounded like a pretty good deal. :mrgreen:

I too, would like to say that every interaction I've ever had with DPS (formal or informal) has been polite and well handled.
TANSTAAFL

discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

74novaman wrote:A DPS officer had the best response ever when I informed him I was a CHL holder and was armed.

He told me "I'll make you a deal. Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine."

I told him that sounded like a pretty good deal. :mrgreen:

I too, would like to say that every interaction I've ever had with DPS (formal or informal) has been polite and well handled.
LOL Priceless!
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”